Has anybody ever had a ride along?

RJA

I was wondering if anyone had a spouse or BF/GF ride along with them. If you did, did it affect your ratings?

Ben105

Don't even need a rule to say it's not allows. On uber x you must have space for four pax. If one is taken up by a ride along, there are only 3 seats left. If you have more than 4 seats avail, why are you driving Uber x?

simpsonsverytall

use common sense.

if you think it would be an issue, it probably would be.

I've been a ride-along in a gyp see cab (why does it turn the g-word into 'illegal' ? ) for a day, years ago. Went fine.

Could also see myself bringing a gf or a child if I absolutely had to, but if I had to, I would make it work. The person would also be presentable, friendly, and and a non-issue.

the 4pax thing is simple = cancel if you see 4 pax,

the hard part is that passengers DO NOT WANT to share a ride with your family and friends. They paid for a service. They don't want to feel uncomfortable or extremely casual. You are doing a customer service by safely and comfortably driving your passenger. It's not a seat number issue so much as it is a customer service issue.

illegal cab = g.ypsy cab

Grover0116

My wife and I are both part-time Uber X and XL drivers. She does the majority of the driving, while I ride along at questionable times of the day. We drive a Ford Expedition (extended) so it can accommodate both X and XL PAX maximums even with myself in the car. I explain to every PAX who I am, that I am also an Uber approved driver, and why I'm in the car.

Over 200 rides with no issues - until this week. One single rider sent a complaint to Uber (even though it was a friendly ride, and they voiced no concern when I introduced myself), and it lead to an immediate deactivation of my wife's account. My wife responded to the email with the details, and got no response. She subsequently had to send 4 more emails (with "PLEASE ESCALATE" in the subject) to get them to review. They reinstated her account after about 2 days, and she got an email outlining the no additional riders policy. The deactivation also led to other hiccups with her account. Her payment has been delayed by 2 days, and her Fuel Card was deactivated for 2 days as well (off cycle from the actual account deactivation).

My advice is - do not risk deactivation - while most people will be ok with it - all it takes is 1 complaint....

tohunt4me

The only way I would try to do this is if I were running a 16 passenger van/ mini bus.

The ones with the wheelchair access lift.
As I have emt- b certification,a cna , I would say the extra rider was for attention to handicapped and pool rider needs.

The only way I could see getting away with this.

tohunt4me

use common sense.

if you think it would be an issue, it probably would be.

I've been a ride-along in a gyp see cab (why does it turn the g-word into 'illegal' ? ) for a day, years ago. Went fine.

Could also see myself bringing a gf or a child if I absolutely had to, but if I had to, I would make it work. The person would also be presentable, friendly, and and a non-issue.

the 4pax thing is simple = cancel if you see 4 pax,

the hard part is that passengers DO NOT WANT to share a ride with your family and friends. They paid for a service. They don't want to feel uncomfortable or extremely casual. You are doing a customer service by safely and comfortably driving your passenger. It's not a seat number issue so much as it is a customer service issue.

illegal cab = g.ypsy cab
THey consider the term G.ypsy cab ' racist'.

Stray cat

Pax and Uber don't know whether your significant other ride-along has cleared a background check. Pax sees your pic when selecting your service. They're not expecting to have a second person sprung on them.

They don't have to believe a sermon how your companion is cool, a fellow vetted Uber driver, etc. It's not what they signed up for. They also don't need to put up with your convo up front while pax wants some tranquility in back seat or to talk amongst selves in back without competing with convo up front. Not cool to spring surprises on people.

Last edited:

Tim In Cleveland

I did it once with my ex-wife in the car after a concert. I pointed out that I wouldn't have been able to give them a ride otherwise, and I asked if they minded in a call as soon as they pinged. It went fine.

tohunt4me

Pax and Uber don't know whether your significant other ride-along has cleared a background check. Pax sees your pic when selecting your service. They're not expecting to have a second person sprung on them.

They don't have to believe a sermon how your companion is cool, a fellow vetted Uber driver, etc. It's not what they signed up for. They also don't need to put up with your convo up front while pax wants some tranquility in back seat or to talk amongst selves in back without competing with convo up front. Not cool to spring surprises on people.
That's why UBER POOL is such a great idea.

Springing UNKNOWN passengers on each other.

simpsonsverytall

an Uber driver picked up my girlfriend tonight with a ride-along passenger on board.

apparently his excuse was that he wasn't going to ride alone at night.

I could care less about a ride along if professional.

Unfortunately the driver was a real piece of garbage and both the driver and his buddy were using abusive language at my girlfriend. (She called me when she got to the location, a bit shaken and upset, and told me that she got angry and told the guy she wanted to get him fired) I told her not to stress, - to just rate him 1 star, and if she wanted to I'd help her report a complaint later when I got off work.

Apparently the little turd got scared that she would report him, so he sent a complaint to Uber about her, immediately after the trip.

Icing on the cake? - Uber disabled her account before hearing her side of the story!:rolleyes:

I swear sometimes I feel like I'm in 'The Walking Dead' , only instead of Zombies, it's FREAKING MORONS milling about everywhere.

Mannnnnnn... uber has become a real pain in the neck recently, I hope my experiences(Driver/Pax/in general) return to at least the 'fair shake' level that they were at a few weeks ago.

pandabear908

They will automatically deactivate you if it is reported. My advice is to just not do it. If you feel unsafe, get a dash camera.
I was wondering if anyone had a spouse or BF/GF ride along with them. If you did, did it affect your ratings?

Stray cat

That's why UBER POOL is such a great idea.

Springing UNKNOWN passengers on each other.
I think the app makes Pool riders aware of the names of the other Pool riders. I've had riders inform me before I even have seen that info. I also have had subsequent Pool riders cancel, likely seeing in the app that I have other Pool riders already and hoping for a solitary Pool ride.

Bart McCoy

an Uber driver picked up my girlfriend tonight with a ride-along passenger on board.

apparently his excuse was that he wasn't going to ride alone at night.

I could care less about a ride along if professional.

Unfortunately the driver was a real piece of garbage and both the driver and his buddy were using abusive language at my girlfriend. (She called me when she got to the location, a bit shaken and upset, and told me that she got angry and told the guy she wanted to get him fired) I told her not to stress, - to just rate him 1 star, and if she wanted to I'd help her report a complaint later when I got off work.

Apparently the little turd got scared that she would report him, so he sent a complaint to Uber about her, immediately after the trip.

Icing on the cake? - Uber disabled her account before hearing her side of the story!:rolleyes:

I swear sometimes I feel like I'm in 'The Walking Dead' , only instead of Zombies, it's FREAKING MORONS milling about everywhere.

Mannnnnnn... uber has become a real pain in the neck recently, I hope my experiences(Driver/Pax/in general) return to at least the 'fair shake' level that they were at a few weeks ago.
I find it hard to believe Uber sided with a driver over a pax