Your LI experiences after June 29th???

mannyrodz903

So I signed up when Uber became legal for non tlc cars in Long Island. That July 4th weekend was pretty damn good. 300 bonus for 45 trips, surges left and right.....

After? Not so much. Requests are coming at a painfully slow rate due to driver increase, min fares of 3.66 for a trip you spend 20-25 min on.....
Trips to NYC to then return empty.....the honeymoon phase is over. I notice the surge is booming on the weekends up by Huntington.

Anyone have any experience up there?

Anyone finding success after that July 4th weekend?

Let me know

Newuberer

I only do it at night on the weekends and I don't go more then a minute without getting a trip. Surges during the weekend nights on the south shore from Long Beach through Patchouge have been pretty great. Been netting an average of $40 an hour. Don't know how long this will last though.

Last edited:
So I signed up when Uber became legal for non tlc cars in Long Island. That July 4th weekend was pretty damn good. 300 bonus for 45 trips, surges left and right.....

After? Not so much. Requests are coming at a painfully slow rate due to driver increase, min fares of 3.66 for a trip you spend 20-25 min on.....
Trips to NYC to then return empty.....the honeymoon phase is over. I notice the surge is booming on the weekends up by Huntington.

Let me know
Short answer: Yes
Long answer: You really have to know when and where to work. There's money to be made out here for sure, especially in areas where you may not expect. If something is not working for you, you have to know when to change strategies and adapt. The worse thing you can do is just sit there and wait for money to come to you. You have to know how to get it and that comes with experience. My advice to you is to mix up your current routine and try something else. Good luck.

Uber Duber Chick

Let me know
Here's my experience. I was up in Huntington a few times. I pick up a surge ride that takes me to Port Jeff or Massapequa. Now I'm getting pings in those areas. That's the end of a surge for me, 1 ride. So what do I do? Do I shut the app off and head back to Huntington and hope there is still a surge? There most probably won't be. I sometimes put in Huntington as a destination. That doesn't always work.

So I guess my question is, how do you stay in the surge to increase your surge ride numbers?

RedneckDriver

So far the "new" cars that I have seen are garbage, I'd leave them in a field to rot next to the dung pile. The drivers have no idea where they are going (think blindfolded jackrabbit). On top of all that you can't see the guy driving because he and/ or she has a 12" tablet mounted on their windshield and are focusing on the screen instead of the road. I don't know about you guys but when I went to school, the bus driver always told me if I can't see her she can't see me. But then again she was also concerned about her fares safety, unlike drivers dropping fares off in the middle of the freeway.

Here's my experience. I was up in Huntington a few times. I pick up a surge ride that takes me to Port Jeff or Massapequa. Now I'm getting pings in those areas. That's the end of a surge for me, 1 ride. So what do I do? Do I shut the app off and head back to Huntington and hope there is still a surge? There most probably won't be. I sometimes put in Huntington as a destination. That doesn't always work.

So I guess my question is, how do you stay in the surge to increase your surge ride numbers?
I've learned that if you chase the surge, you gotta learn the hours. If not, then you just go where the flow takes you. Even if it is isn't a surge area. In a 4 hour night, I catch 2/3 surges and I hope they are long distance. Got a $43 2.2x and I did that in 24 minutes. I chased surge last week and I started work from 12AM on Sunday morning and it sucked. I turned off app, went to surge. Turned app, got a surge fare. Dropped off. App off, head back to surge. I mean I drove less, but earned less too. I try to start my day on a surge area just so I hopefully get a decent fare to start.

Conclusion: you chase surge you make less some nights.

So far the "new" cars that I have seen are garbage, I'd leave them in a field to rot next to the dung pile. The drivers have no idea where they are going (think blindfolded jackrabbit). On top of all that you can't see the guy driving because he and/ or she has a 12" tablet mounted on their windshield and are focusing on the screen instead of the road. I don't know about you guys but when I went to school, the bus driver always told me if I can't see her she can't see me. But then again she was also concerned about her fares safety, unlike drivers dropping fares off in the middle of the freeway.
Don't know about you, but all the people that took Uber so far stated it's been the same. Some didn't even know the difference.

RedneckDriver

I have noticed the difference and so have a couple of my friends who frequent Uber, a couple even started saying they were just gonna start throwing me a couple bucks more then they would pay to give them lifts for dates and business because I have a pretty nice weekend car (yes I know this could be an issue but they are friends giving me gas money not random pax).