Status
Not open for further replies.

Emily Reid

Sponsor
Flu. Vomit. Accidents. Fatigue. Harassment. You or pax gets sick or injured.

You have health and safety concerns as a driver.

We want to hear directly from you.

This is a study on the health and safety of UberX drivers and passengers.
We are asking drivers to participate in focus groups in Toronto. In focus groups we ask you about your work and health. Focus groups are two hours. We remunerate drivers for participating in the focus groups.

TO PARTICIPATE OR INQUIRE

*study has ended*

This is a University of Waterloo study in the School of Public Health and Health Systems led by Dr. E. MacEachen. The University of Waterloo approved the study.

Attachments

• post image for UberPeople.net (8-13Dec2016).png
    post image for UberPeople.net (8-13Dec2016).png
    13.5 KB · Views: 228
Last edited by a moderator:

MUGATS

Three questions.

What is the "renumeration" my dear Emily Reid?

Does this focus group need to happen in person or via Skype/FaceTime etc?

Is your focus group sanctioned by of paid by Uber? aka will this actually have potential impact on the practices of the company.

Emily Reid

Sponsor
Three questions.

Is your focus group sanctioned by of paid by Uber? aka will this actually have potential impact on the practices of the company.

Hi MUGATS,

Great questions.

The remuneration is $50 for two hours (cash) per participant for your time and any costs like parking. We provide this at the time of the focus group itself.

We're prioritizing in-person attendance. Participating virtually would have to be discussed with us by phone beforehand to arrange, as it could get in the way of the discussion. Focus groups are held in private but are centrally located (i.e., boardroom at the Toronto Reference Library) in the early evening, usually a weekday. Specific details still TBD.

We are entirely sponsored by a CIHR grant (Canadian Institute for Health Research--the major health research funder in Canada--the feds). Uber corporate has absolutely no relationship to this study whatsoever. One of the advisors for the study is the Ontario Ministry of Labour OHS (Occupational Health and Safety) division, but no funding comes from them. They are going to "use" the findings to make policy.

Happy to answer any other questions.

Emily Reid

Sponsor
I should add that we have no presumption that Uber will change its practices because of our study. Our aim, instead, is to help provide evidence-based policy recommendations to fill in gaps that Uber can currently take advantage of.

UberMotard

For better participation I would recommend the "work" be done outside of the drivers busiest hours, we would not want to miss out on the awesome earning opportunities the rush hour brings.
Tuesday afternoon 1 to 3 would be a great time.

Emily Reid

Sponsor
For better participation I would recommend the "work" be done outside of the drivers busiest hours, we would not want to miss out on the awesome earning opportunities the rush hour brings.
Tuesday afternoon 1 to 3 would be a great time.

That's a great suggestion, duly noted.

UberxGTA

Hi MUGATS,

Great questions.

The remuneration is $50 for two hours (cash) per participant for your time and any costs like parking. We provide this at the time of the focus group itself.

We're prioritizing in-person attendance. Participating virtually would have to be discussed with us by phone beforehand to arrange, as it could get in the way of the discussion. Focus groups are held in private but are centrally located (i.e., boardroom at the Toronto Reference Library) in the early evening, usually a weekday. Specific details still TBD.

We are entirely sponsored by a CIHR grant (Canadian Institute for Health Research--the major health research funder in Canada--the feds). Uber corporate has absolutely no relationship to this study whatsoever. One of the advisors for the study is the Ontario Ministry of Labour OHS (Occupational Health and Safety) division, but no funding comes from them. They are going to "use" the findings to make policy.

Happy to answer any other questions.
What about privacy concerns?
How much personal information is required?

Imstar

I should add that we have no presumption that Uber will change its practices because of our study. Our aim, instead, is to help provide evidence-based policy recommendations to fill in gaps that Uber can currently take advantage of.

Can we chat via Skype.
Can you pay in advance?
Can you take my interview mulitple times? I can change my name and disguise as well as my voice I'd like cash please in advance.

MUGATS

I'd participate but I don't live in the GTA so the remuneration wouldn't be worth my time, gas and parking.

If you want to send a questionnaire, I would be happy to provide feedback free of charge.

tohunt4me

Three questions.

15¢ a minute,65¢ a mile

Emily Reid

Sponsor
What about privacy concerns?
How much personal information is required?

Re: Confidentiality/privacy

The study abides by strict research ethical guidelines. We will collect limited personal information for the purposes of the study only. This is kept securely using encrypted devices and software, and is destroyed after the study is completed. In communicating the results, we will make sure your identity is confidential. If there is any concern about your privacy being breached, we would not use that data in our publications. In the focus group, note that your identity and information shared will be known among fellow participants--this is something to be aware of and we ask that participants keep what is shared within the group confidential. However, this is not something that we can guarantee. You also have the right to withdraw from the study if you have concerns.

Emily Reid

Sponsor
I'd participate but I don't live in the GTA so the remuneration wouldn't be worth my time, gas and parking.

If you want to send a questionnaire, I would be happy to provide feedback free of charge.

Thanks MUGATS, we'd be interested to hear from you. If you can spare some moments for a phone call with us, we'd appreciate hearing about your experiences. Monday afternoon, Tuesday daytime, Wednesday daytime next week would be ideal for a conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.