• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Your first ride

Cableguynoe

We all remember our first right?

So it's a Saturday about noon. Just came inside from washing my car. Car is ready to go.
But I wasn't planning on going out to drive for the first time for another 4 or 5 hours.
Still had to do a few things, shower and get dressed.

I decide to turn on app to play with it and try to figure it out. I'm about 15 minutes outside of town so didn't expect anything.

Within 2 minutes I had my first ever ping! It was glorious!
Only 15 minutes away.
I think I accepted by accident because then my eyes were drawn to Amanda.
Sweet Amanda was my first ever rider. I fantasised about her for a second then it hit me...
"I gotta go! I gotta go!"

I start running around like a mad man. This was a big deal. Amanda needed me!

I say bye to the family and before they could say bye I was out the door.

I'm definitely driving fast, but then I get a text asking if I could hurry because she was late to work.

I felt like shit. What a terrible person I am making poor Amanda late.
I floored it. Ran a few yellowish red lights and rolled a few stop signs.
Cops would understand right?

I finally get there about 20 minutes later and to her credit she was toes to the curb.

She hops in and I start apologizing.
Off we go.

I made a circle.
What's going on? Sweet Amanda was nice enough to tell me I hadn't started the ride.
She's so awesome!

1.5 miles later we arrived at her restaurant were she was a waitress.
No tip.

Went back home.

Found this forum.

I hate you Amanda!

tohunt4me

We all remember our first right?

So it's a Saturday about noon. Just came inside from washing my car. Car is ready to go.
But I wasn't planning on going out to drive for the first time for another 4 or 5 hours.
Still had to do a few things, shower and get dressed.

I decide to turn on app to play with it and try to figure it out. I'm about 15 minutes outside of town so didn't expect anything.

Within 2 minutes I had my first ever ping! It was glorious!
Only 15 minutes away.
I think I accepted by accident because then my eyes were drawn to Amanda.
Sweet Amanda was my first ever rider. I fantasised about her for a second then it hit me...
"I gotta go! I gotta go!"

I start running around like a mad man. This was a big deal. Amanda needed me!

I say bye to the family and before they could say bye I was out the door.

I'm definitely driving fast, but then I get a text asking if I could hurry because she was late to work.

I felt like shit. What a terrible person I am making poor Amanda late.
I floored it. Ran a few yellowish red lights and rolled a few stop signs.
Cops would understand right?

I finally get there about 20 minutes later and to her credit she was toes to the curb.

She hops in and I start apologizing.
Off we go.

I made a circle.
What's going on? Sweet Amanda was nice enough to tell me I hadn't started the ride.
She's so awesome!

1.5 miles later we arrived at her restaurant were she was a waitress.
No tip.

Went back home.

Found this forum.

Screw your Amanda!!!!
I remember My First.
Worked my nerve up to turn app. On for real .
Uber wasnt " Legal " then.

Got ride from St. Charles to " Muse Conti" wax .Museum in New Orleans.

3 women.
3 miles.

Did over 20 more rides that day.
Either 22 or 28
Im not sure.

Muse Conti closed a few months later.
After half a century.

Attachments

Coachman

It was almost four years ago... I had done one practice ride with my sister. That one doesn't count. I was very nervous. I finally got up the courage to turn on the app. After about two minutes, just as I was getting on the service road to the highway, I got my first ping! My heart was racing! The pickup was at a hotel about three minutes away. I got to the hotel and right away a pretty young woman comes out with a suitcase. It was a ride to DFW airport, about 13 miles. I told her it was my first ride. She was very nice. I seem to remember she was from Australia or South Africa. The trip was uneventful.

Sampson10

Hotel across the street from my day job. Nice couple on vacation that rated me 5 stars and gave me a service badge and a $5 in app tip. We all made a big deal of it being my first ride. Only a $3 ride without the tip lol. I was hooked after that. Of course that was only two months ago.

TomTheAnt

New Years Day, around 3pm I was staged at the local mall parking lot (for some reason I thought that would be a good spot...) with both apps on ready to pounce when the sweet sound (back then...) of Uber ping filled the interior of my truck. Probably hadn’t reacted to anything that fast in quite some time before that.

Picked up a very nice young college student from Barnes&Noble from the other side of the mall after her shift was over and took her to her apartment about 4 miles away. When I told her she was my first, she gave me encouraging words about my driving and how she enjoyed the ride. She also tipped me $2.00 in the app, gave me 5* rating and left a very nice written feedback, too, wishing me luck and a great year ahead.

Oh, those were the days... :whistling:

tohunt4me

New Years Day, around 3pm I was staged at the local mall parking lot (for some reason I thought that would be a good spot...) with both apps on ready to pounce when the sweet sound (back then...) of Uber ping filled the interior of my truck. Probably hadn’t reacted to anything that fast in quite some time before that.

Picked up a very nice young college student from Barnes&Noble from the other side of the mall after her shift was over and took her to her apartment about 4 miles away. When I told her she was my first, she gave me encouraging words about my driving and how she enjoyed the ride. She also tipped me $2.00 in the app, gave me 5* rating and left a very nice written feedback, too, wishing me luck and a great year ahead.

Oh, those were the days... :whistling:
There was no in app tipping when i started.

Only adds " NO NEED TO TIP "!

AND AIRPORTtrips were illegal & forbidden then.

Had a cop try to entrap me once.

Also
Uber paid for your Lawyer back then
Actually treated us as " Partners".

When they wanted us to break the Law.

reg barclay

My first rider actually tipped me, which was extremely rare back then. That was way before in app tips, when tipping was still 'included'. I'll embarrassingly admit that I tried refusing the tip, due to a short period of gung ho newbieness :redface:.

Benjamin M

Signed up for this shit show a year ago so I could make a few bucks driving a family from the rural area I used to live in to the airport.

Prior to that trip, I drove about an hour and a half away to drive Uber a few times, just to see how it all worked. Never thought I'd be living in Richmond, doing this almost daily and pushing 2k rides.

First trip was in Mechanicsville, not far from Richmond. Felt really strange to be driving to pick up total strangers. I was sure I'd make a lot of money, nervous and excited at the same time.

Big fat dude, drunk, and his wife. He informed me that "most drivers have snacks and water" (in that market, no, no they don't) and said he'd leave a big tip in the app.

My first trip (and my first minimum fare), he did indeed tip. A whole dollar!! Welcome to RS ?

Lissetti

Rebel Honey Badger
Article Manager
I drove my shiny brand new Uber Xchange Lease Prius C2 straight to the proper place where all noob Xchange Lease drivers go to quickly fall into debt and risk losing the car within 3 weeks. ... The Uber Airport Waiting Lot. I forum lurked through UberPeople.Net as sat in my car and tried not to notice the spectacle of 248 Ants gathered all around me, each waiting for their number to come up in the queue. I was number 249.

After 3 3/4 hours sitting in queue and witnessing The Amazing World of the Airport Ant, my number finally came up too. Score! Now I was going to make my money. As I made my way through the maze of confusing road signs and airport parking, I found my way to the Rideshare pick up location inside the parking garage. As I pulled into the garage, suddenly I heard a chorus of shrieks in another language. I slammed on my brakes. What happened? I looked up to see a crowd of men clad in casual dress attire angrily approaching my car, arms outstretched with the shock of injustice.

I had mistakenly pulled into the taxi cab section. I looked over at the hordes of parked Prius' on the other side of the barricade, 200 feet away. The actual Uber pick up location. All the drivers were craning their necks to look over at me, eagerly waiting to see whatever fate was about to befall me.

I looked back at the cabbies, who had reached my car by this time and had assembled in a semi circle around my hood and doors. Each one angrily trying to see inside my mildly tinted windows in this dimly lit section of the parking garbage. Who was this idiot driver who dared to enter their domain?

I made sure my MAC pink Candy Yum Yum lipstick was on point as I rolled down my window. Brows which had been furrowed in anger just a moment before, suddenly grew smooth as their faces morphed into smiles. I smiled sweetly back as I addressed the closest drivers, "Excuse me guys...." ?

"Yeeeeeeees?" ?

"I seem to have gotten hopelessly lost in here."?

"Well, where are you trying to go?" ( jostling for positions near my driver's door.) ?

"Well I'm trying to find.....??.................the Uber pick up area." ?

All heads turn to look at each other, then over at the Uber Pick up location. The gaping Ants were now joined by their equally slack jawed pax, all transfixed by my situation. ?? The cabbies turned back to me and said, "Its OK, you're first time here?" I replied that it was. They told me to follow one who now was walking towards an orange temporary barricade. I thanked the group of men and waved goodbye and they in turn waved back. As I approached the barricade, the man who I was following gave the barricade a heave with his shoulder and moved it aside i could drive through into the Uber Pick Up area.

I thanked him and quickly drove over to the nearest empty stall to await my pax. Ants glared at me with disgust before resuming their duties as drivers and began loading their pax's luggage.

Within 5 minutes my pax, a group consisting of two couples arrived. After loading their luggage and all were belted in, I tapped the Uber app. Nothing happened. I laughed nervously and tapped it harder. Still nothing! The women, Jennifer seated next to me said she was pretty sure I was supposed to swipe the colored bar. I swiped at it to the left and still nothing happened.

Jennifer asked to see my phone. I took it out of its holder and handed it to her. She examined my phone for a second and then swiped the colored bar to the right. Suddenly the Uber app began moving and my navigation app appeared. Finally!! Now I was going to make some money!! Five minutes later the navigation told me to pull into the Red Lion hotel.......1.2 miles away.

"You have arrived," came the crushing words from my Waze app. My passengers thanked me and retrieved their own luggage from the trunk. As I sat in stunned silence staring at my app, Jennifer leaned back onto my car.

A tip..?.......????

.......and instead swipes my phone and ends my trip for me. ?She wishes me a good day and joins her group as they walk into the hotel. I pull over and struggle though my app to see how much I made on the trip.

Whomp......Whomp....Waaah...( sad trombone.)

$2.40 ?

kc ub'ing!

Sittin at home nervous as hell as my first ping comes through. Listen and watch as the circle completes and I miss the ride. Immediately start ripping myself, ‘you chickenshit! You need money! You’ve been whining for week awaiting approval! Now you puss out?!”

2nd ping comes! I pick up my phone to once again stare blankly at the countdown, no intention of actually accepting the ride; accidentally touched the screen and accepted! Yikes, committed now!

Pick up was at a restaurant on my street, which ends at the destination, the airport. Literally a straight line from my house, to pick up, to drop off. Easiest ride imaginable!

It’s irrational how nervous I was and miraculous how quickly my apprehension disappeared after that first ride! What was I so askeered of?

Mkang14

Sweet, precious Amanda ???... you're so funny. You were Amanda's hero that day ???.

I couldnt remember mine so I went back through my app. I am pretty sure I was like wtf $4.

Screenshot_20190807-233441_Uber Driver.jpg

Mkang14

I remember my first select ping was also my first trip to sfo, international area. I got lost at the freaking airport. Went into a garage fml. I was like cant you guys just get out here ?. Of course I had no idea at that time the app always sends us to domestic side?.

When I saw how much i got paid it took away all the pain and suffering