• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Your experiences working as an UberEats delivery partner

pwdinwy

There seems to be a lack of information about working as an UberEats delivery partner on these forums. It would be interesting to hear from peoples experiences working as an UberEats delivery partner. Seems like most people on these forums work as an Uber driver.

I've been delivery for UberEats in Perth on a bicycle for a few months, mainly as extra income to supplement my other casual jobs. I will mainly do morning to early afternoon and aim to make $50 a day whenever I have a free day in the week. Yes that is nothing, but everyone knows it pays peanuts, but at least it keeps some kind of income coming in when work is quiet. I try and take advantage of the 7-9am and 11am-13pm incentives. So generally I do 5-6 hours for $50 dollars and then I'll call it a day as I am usually fed up with it after a few hours. Sometimes I may do it in the evening if there are good incentives.

Can't say it has been great experience, but it has given me some kind of extra income, but the hours of work you put into it and what you get out of it is pretty ridiculous. I'm not going to rush for anyone, I'm not going to race on the roads to get my delivery to the customer ASAP, I'll do it at a steady pace and safely. I did infact break my arm 2 months ago while on a delivery and that put me out of all my work for 6 weeks, so that was pretty shit!

Anyway it would be great if other people could share their experiences. What kind of hours you do for how much money? Any good or bad experiences? Anything!? As it seems more and more people are going to be doing these kind of jobs and they should know what it is really like to do UberEats, or any kind of food delivery job that are becoming increasingly popular.

I drove uber eats when it first came out and got sick of having to wait for restaurants to finish cooking and me not getting paid. I handed my bag back quick smart and stopped doing it for 5 months.

Recently I gave it another go because passenger work has been slow. First pickup was from some place on Jetty road in Glenelg. When I got there they told me to wait. I noticed another Ubereats driver sitting and waiting, so I asked him how long he'd been waiting. "About 20 minutes"he said. I got pretty pissed off at the owners and said that this was bullshit and gave them 2 more minutes, 5 in total (11 including driving 6 mins to get there.
2 mins was up and I cancelled the order and bailed out with a humble grin on my face. Hopefully that teaches them a lesson.
I might continue doing this. Might even get myself a cape to wear. Serve them some justice.

UBER is growing to be unbearable.

Wabbit-169

Having picked up an owner of one of the Ubereats places, he was saying to me that he also is frustrated and a lot of the problems stems from the app itself and not having the correct timings. I also gave up ubereats after 3 months because of ridiculous locations, often 20mins away and then getting an email saying I wasnt accepting enough pings!

Jackpots

In Melbourne I tried it for a while and stopped because in the inner suburbs it was hard to find legal parking and once the food was picked up it was extremely tight roads frequently blocked by roadworks. I gave the bag back and did Uberx only. Sometimes I wanted to get only Uberx rides if it was a busy part of the day, sometimes I would have been happy to do just Ubereats rides for a few hours when X was quiet, but the app didnt allow for a choice - they just came in mixed together which I found very frustrating. If they added a switch to the app so you could choose when to do just x, just eats, or both I would probably sign back up for it. Otherwise too painful.

joffie

Was great in the good old days when doubles were worth it and we could collect $10 if we waited 10 minutes.

Now its rubbish, lower payouts, doubles not worth it at all and then they tell us to wait 15 min for $5.

I don't bother. I know people who used to do it but now have a better way of making money thru uber. (for now).

Jack Malarkey

...Sometimes I wanted to get only Uberx rides if it was a busy part of the day, sometimes I would have been happy to do just Ubereats rides for a few hours when X was quiet, but the app didnt allow for a choice - they just came in mixed together which I found very frustrating. If they added a switch to the app so you could choose when to do just x, just eats, or both I would probably sign back up for it. Otherwise too painful.
Jackpots, we have had UberEATS in Canberra only for a few days but we do have precisely what you're advocating. It is a little difficult to find: you select 'Account'; then turn the app off if it's on; and then touch the symbol of your car. There you have the option of doing either or both options.

Perhaps check this with a Melbourne driver who does UberEATS. I suspect you'll find that what you want is in fact available in Melbourne.

Jackpots

Jackpots, we have had UberEATS in Canberra only for a few days but we do have precisely what you're advocating. It is a little difficult to find: you select 'Account'; then turn the app off if it's on; and then touch the symbol of your car. There you have the option of doing either or both options.

Perhaps check this with a Melbourne driver who does UberEATS. I suspect you'll find that what you want is in fact available in Melbourne.
Thanks. I did check it out six months ago at the Uber hub in Melbourne and was told they didnt offer it then but it might change, I will check again. Hope they do it would be great.

pwdinwy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Does anyone feel like they turn up to a restaurant and they treat you like dog shit, like you their employee, like they are above you, better than you? Many times this has happened to me.

Yesterday I turned up to a restaurant, I admit I didn't read the instructions (as they are generally parking instructions for drivers, I am on a bike) so I entered through the front door. The lady in the restaurant spoke to me with such a condescending and patronising tone because I didn't enter through the back door of the restaurant like it said in the instructions, bear in mind that the address the app told me to go to was the front door not the rear entrance, which is technically a different address.

The best restaurants to work with are those who treat you with respect and as equals, I must say, my local McDonalds are a fine example of this!

Jack Malarkey

Does anyone feel like they turn up to a restaurant and they treat you like dog shit, like you their employee, like they are above you, better than you? Many times this has happened to me.

Yesterday I turned up to a restaurant, I admit I didn't read the instructions (as they are generally parking instructions for drivers, I am on a bike) so I entered through the front door. The lady in the restaurant spoke to me with such a condescending and patronising tone because I didn't enter through the back door of the restaurant like it said in the instructions, bear in mind that the address the app told me to go to was the front door not the rear entrance, which is technically a different address.

The best restaurants to work with are those who treat you with respect and as equals, I must say, my local McDonalds are a fine example of this!
Fortunately, I haven't that kind of experience at least so far.

pwdinwy

Fortunately, I haven't that kind of experience at least so far.
I guess its just a subtle thing, the way the speak to you when your in their restaurant, many people speak down to you like their above you and high and mighty, they probably think that their the ones doing you a favour, and think they can order you around like you work for them.

The woman I mentioned earlier tried to get me to exit the restaurant and then come back in through the back, until a group of customers walked in the front door and she realised I would have to pass them, so she let me stay and told me to leave through the back, which was annoying as I had to then walk back around to the front of the restaurant to pick up my bike.

Though it may sound a bit pathetic I was so annoyed by the incident, I did report it to Uber and they thanked me for my professionalism and said they don't tolerate such behaviour.

Jackpots

I guess its just a subtle thing, the way the speak to you when your in their restaurant, many people speak down to you like their above you and high and mighty, they probably think that their the ones doing you a favour, and think they can order you around like you work for them.

The woman I mentioned earlier tried to get me to exit the restaurant and then come back in through the back, until a group of customers walked in the front door and she realised I would have to pass them, so she let me stay and told me to leave through the back, which was annoying as I had to then walk back around to the front of the restaurant to pick up my bike.

Though it may sound a bit pathetic I was so annoyed by the incident, I did report it to Uber and they thanked me for my professionalism and said they don't tolerate such behaviour.
I agree with you. When I was doing Uber eats I was spoken down to once or twice and it was another reason I stopped doing it. Mostly it was good as are the passengers on x.

pwdinwy

Anyone aware of or have any experience with Drive Yello. They're partnered with Menulog I believe and seem to have a much fairer business model which apparently guarantees a minimum of $20 an hour.

Only available in Sydney and Melbourne at the moment I believe, no good to me here in Perth.

Anyone aware of or have any experience with Drive Yello. They're partnered with Menulog I believe and seem to have a much fairer business model which apparently guarantees a minimum of $20 an hour.

Only available in Sydney and Melbourne at the moment I believe, no good to me here in Perth.

I have done UberEats instead of Uberx in Melbourne exclusively for quite a bit of time, previously it was a fair bit of income with double orders, nowadays I agree there's not much to it moneywise....you have to wait for hours to get a ping here ...and few restaurants do treat you badly....but thats expected as they think of us from their point of view of wait persons that we delivery drivers are inferior to them....most are nice....however Uber always tries to bring the earnings down.....so no love...have not heard of drive yellow...will search them

Last edited:
OMG WHAT A BUNCH OF WINGING WINING UNHAPPY LOSERS , this is a business you are a contractor , you are competing with the likes of Deliveroo, Foodoora Menulog , which adds to the pressure put on the restaurant to have your order ready . Now I KNOW you want this to be all about you but it's never going to be so why don't you try and think about how you can make it work for you instead of just whining about it all the time .
I'm in Sydney and taking the good with the bad and when it's good its awesome and when its bad I'm bored shitless but thats the name of the game ladies and gentlemen so get use to it , I'll look forward to seeing you post some wins on here shall I ? Or maybe I will just keep doing that to show there is a positive force working in this industry. I have recently worked 7.5 hours over two shifts for $285 whats your problem??? SHHHH oh and by the way that amount is correct , it did happen but there are quiet periods too school holidays are not great.

OMG WHAT A BUNCH OF WINGING WINING UNHAPPY LOSERS , this is a business you are a contractor , you are competing with the likes of Deliveroo, Foodoora Menulog , which adds to the pressure put on the restaurant to have your order ready . Now I KNOW you want this to be all about you but it's never going to be so why don't you try and think about how you can make it work for you instead of just whining about it all the time .
I'm in Sydney and taking the good with the bad and when it's good its awesome and when its bad I'm bored shitless but thats the name of the game ladies and gentlemen so get use to it , I'll look forward to seeing you post some wins on here shall I ? Or maybe I will just keep doing that to show there is a positive force working in this industry. I have recently worked 7.5 hours over two shifts for $285 whats your problem??? SHHHH oh and by the way that amount is correct , it did happen but there are quiet periods too school holidays are not great.
Thats Great!!!

Westaway

Hi Everyone

I've been doing UberEATS exclusively in Brissie for the last 4 months. Have done over 600 trips and currently sit on 100% satisfaction, 100% acceptance and 0% cancellation. I've noticed in the last few weeks that earnings have plummeted. Feeling very demotivated now. I had a couple of great weeks of >$500 gross for 26-27 hours work (in general between $350 - $450/week with ease), but since then, struggling to gross over $200 most weeks. Last week I was so demotivated, I only managed $70 gross in total, with the last straw coming after being online during a particular evening for 2hrs and 15mins, only to get one ping for the princely sum of $9 :frown:

It was great in the beginning. I was becoming a bit of a hermit and needed to get out of the house. I work full time and thought this might be a great side hustle - earn some play money, be a bit more active in the evenings. And it was, at the start - trips were continuous, Eaters thought the whole thing was really cool, restaurants were chuffed they were getting so many pick-ups, I was in and out of the car the whole time, sometimes up and down hills/stairs - great workout, never boring!

But...

I was told by Uber that whoever is closest to the restaurant, gets the ping - not so. I have done many experiments where I've parked my car out the front of the restaurant for 40 minutes+ while I've watched 3 different Uber drivers come and pick up (1 of them twice). I was also told by Uber that the restaurant calls the driver - not so. Since becoming friendly with a number of restaurants, I've been made aware that the app determines when the driver gets called. The restaurant can call the driver early, 'manually', but otherwise, the app does it all. I think back to all those times I've had to wait at the restaurant, not understanding why on earth they called me before the food was ready - it wasn't their choice.

I've met heaps of UberEATS drivers who've all been really pleasant and happy to chat about their world and share their experiences with me (as I do with them). We've all had nasty experiences with a handful of restaurants who do treat you like dirt, but there are also plenty of others that are super nice. Most of my Eaters have been pretty good too - I've had a few tips - which is really cool! I've had a couple of times where I've had to 'dispose of the food properly' and I've learnt where my favourite areas/restaurants are (easy parking, no hassles) and prefer staying in these locations rather than chasing higher boost zones. All in all, it's been an interesting few months.

I'll be doing my first UberEATS tax return with an accountant this weekend, so will be keen to see how it goes. Will be great if I don't have to pay any additional tax...

pwdinwy

Well done mate for earning all that, but there certainly isn't that kind of demand or rates going in Perth and other cities so maybe shut your smug ass up.... I've been online over 8 hours today and earned just over $60... so shhhhh
I'm pretty sure everyone doing eats has a level a positivity doing this, otherwise we wouldn't be doing this still. I've had plenty of wins/positive experiences that make it worth carrying on. But I certainly won't ignore those times that remind me to count my eggs.