You'll just have to wait longer now

UberFizzle

I responded to a request that was a few minutes out of my way, but I didn't mind [much]. It was a gated community, but the pin drop was just outside the gates, so I waited there. I messaged that I was there (just in case the pin drop was a mistake), and the passenger responds, asking if I can wait there. He doesn't say when he'll be out. Weird, but whatever, I'll wait for 5 minutes.

5 minutes go by, no one in sight, so I no-show the guy. Sure enough, as soon as I turn around to leave, some dude sprints out of the security office and comes running toward my car as I drive away. I was parked right in front of the office the entire time, within direct view, which tells me he knew I was there, and just didn't bother to come out. I think he just assumed I would wait for as long as he took. What a mistake on his part.

As I drove away, he's screaming for me to stop, and my passenger side window was slightly rolled down enough to where I could loudly say "Nope", and drove off. Even as I continued to drive away, he was literally screaming for me to stop, and even asks if I'm an Uber, but at this point, he's to my back, and I'm almost at the stop light to turn. In situations like this, I don't slow my exit because people can be very crazy, especially when upset. He yelled some profanities, I took that right turn at the light, and drove off. I usually have very little sympathy for people who show such blatant lack of respect for others' time.

Seconds later, as I'm driving away, I get a ping from the same guy. I decline, and continue on my way. It's not like I'm the only Uber around, so he can just wait for another driver, and hopefully show a little more respect for that driver's time. Interesting thing was his rating was a 4.98. Just goes to show that even those with high ratings can still show very little care for others' time.

mellorock

I responded to a request that was a few minutes out of my way, but I didn't mind [much]. It was a gated community, but the pin drop was just outside the gates, so I waited there. I messaged that I was there (just in case the pin drop was a mistake), and the passenger responds, asking if I can wait there. He doesn't say when he'll be out. Weird, but whatever, I'll wait for 5 minutes.

5 minutes go by, no one in sight, so I no-show the guy. Sure enough, as soon as I turn around to leave, some dude sprints out of the security office and comes running toward my car as I drive away. I was parked right in front of the office the entire time, within direct view, which tells me he knew I was there, and just didn't bother to come out. I think he just assumed I would wait for as long as he took. What a mistake on his part.

As I drove away, he's screaming for me to stop, and my passenger side window was slightly rolled down enough to where I could loudly say "Nope", and drove off. Even as I continued to drive away, he was literally screaming for me to stop, and even asks if I'm an Uber, but at this point, he's to my back, and I'm almost at the stop light to turn. In situations like this, I don't slow my exit because people can be very crazy, especially when upset. He yelled some profanities, I took that right turn at the light, and drove off. I usually have very little sympathy for people who show such blatant lack of respect for others' time.

Seconds later, as I'm driving away, I get a ping from the same guy. I decline, and continue on my way. It's not like I'm the only Uber around, so he can just wait for another driver, and hopefully show a little more respect for that driver's time. Interesting thing was his rating was a 4.98. Just goes to show that even those with high ratings can still show very little care for others' time.
It will happen again

Cvillegordo

I had a pickup at a bar where the bar manager came out and explained that the guy I was picking up was around the corner, because he had been ejected from the bar. I asked if he had been causing problems, they said he was drunk and assaulted a server. I immediately canceled the ride. As I pulled away, the very drunk guy came running around the corner and chased me out into traffic screaming "Stop! Stop! Uber!" See ya.

Lissetti

Rebel Honey Badger
Article Manager
I had a pickup at a bar where the bar manager came out and explained that the guy I was picking up was around the corner, because he had been ejected from the bar. I asked if he had been causing problems, they said he was drunk and assaulted a server. I immediately canceled the ride. As I pulled away, the very drunk guy came running around the corner and chased me out into traffic screaming "Stop! Stop! Uber!" See ya.
A friend of mine told me of how she pulled up to a club after 2AM and after waiting a couple of minutes, the bouncers of the club came out carrying a semiconscious guy towards her car. They tapped on her window for her to unlock the back door so they could toss the guy in the back seat. She explained to the bouncers through her partially rolled down passenger window that there was no way she was taking a guy in that state. Being very drunk he could vomit, vomit and asphyxiate, or wake up confused and attack her, the driver. Its amazing the crap bar and club staff try to pull on drivers. Of course my friend canceled and drove off.

Cvillegordo

A friend of mine told me of how she pulled up to a club after 2AM and after waiting a couple of minutes, the bouncers of the club came out carrying a semiconscious guy towards her car. They tapped on her window for her to unlock the back door so they could toss the guy in the back seat. She explained to the bouncers through her partially rolled down passenger window that there was no way she was taking a guy in that state. Being very drunk he could vomit, vomit and asphyxiate, or wake up confused and attack her, the driver. Its amazing the crap bar and club staff try to pull on drivers. Of course my friend canceled and drove off.
"Safe ride home" nonsense. I have heard that repeatedly from people; as if Uber drivers have some sort of moral duty to provide this to drunks.

UberBastid

"Safe ride home" nonsense. I have heard that repeatedly from people; as if Uber drivers have some sort of moral duty to provide this to drunks.
We don't?
Wasn't it part of the "Uber Oath" we took when we were admitted to the club?

The Uber Oath:
I promise to take the request 20 minutes out of the surge area for minimum ride.
I promise to do pool.
I promise to provide generation Y with Aux, water and mints.
I promise to never grope a pax.
I promise to wait for a pax no matter how much time it takes.
I will never accept cash tips.

Gigworker

A good game plan would be to call just as soon as you arrive ( you want to get that call over ASAP) wait 6, or 7 minutes, or longer, than look around just to make sure they are not walking to your car. Than start driving away before you cancel. Make sure your windows are rolled up and your radio is loud.

The Gift of Fish

Seconds later, as I'm driving away, I get a ping from the same guy. I decline, and continue on my way.
You should have gone for the double no show. Fortune favours the brave.
Post automatically merged:

So similar thing happen... but their apt is next to light... I hit no show... the light turn red and the pax come out.... effing great! They come to my door and tried to open it... I had to tell them It was cancel since I waited over 5 minutes. Awkward !
When that happens, just tell them, "Hold on; I'll just turn the car around" and they back off. It doesn't matter which way the car is pointing or where their destination is; it always works.

UberChiefPIT

You have more patience than I do. Even though business is dead, I usually cancel after 2 minutes of waiting. Shouldn’t book a ride if you’re not ready.
And just think: if you had the patience to wait 3 more minutes, you’d get $3.95 for nothing.

You already drove to the pickup, so whatever time you wasted driving there + gas + wear on your vehicle, you at least recuperate some of that by letting it roll to 5 mins for the no-show education fee.
Post automatically merged:

They want their problem to become someone else’s problem.

Another Uber Driver

Its amazing the crap bar and club staff try to pull on drivers.
They want their problem to become someone else’s problem.
They have been doing this to cab drivers for years. If you ask the bouncer why they do not call the police, the response usually is something along the line of "We do not want him to have any trouble."

Right, but you do not care if I have any trouble, do you? These people want to get rid of their "problem". It is not just the club staff. Hotel and hospital staff do it, as well. I used to love telling off hotel doormen when they tried this. I used to ask them

"You have drivers whom you call when you get Dulles Airport or something good like that, correctamundo?"

"Yes"

"Tellyawhat. You call one of those bastards, make him give you five dollars then put this obnoxious drunk into his cab. If your payola boy gets the gold, he can run the garbage, as well."

I would then pull off from the hotel.