You think we have it bad as independent contractors?

RideshareDog

Woff Woff rideshare people
Just saw Last Week Tonight with John Oliver and this week's focus was on WWE. Apparently for years wrestlers have been signing rediculous contractors that considers them independent contracts. Which means that get no health coverage outside the ring means they can be fired at any time and no pension and also no off season. Shit that's rufff. So if you think we are being abused it's no where was bad as what Vince is doing with his wrestlers. If you can find the episode online I would watch it and also boycott wwe

Woohaa

Guys like the Rock talked about the reality of living life as an up and coming pro wrestler. They still earned more than rideshare drivers though so boycott Uber and Lyft first.

Mista T

Author
I have been an independent contractor in one form or another since 1994. I hate to say it, but most companies treat their ICs like crap. They pay only as much as they have to, and slam the door in their face at the first whiff of trouble.

The best companies I have worked for have been the ones where there is a lot of competition, meaning that the ICs can change companies at the drop of a hat. Companies know exactly where they stand, and will either grovel (if they need workers) or step on you (if they have plenty to choose from).

Ssgcraig

Just saw Last Week Tonight with John Oliver and this week's focus was on WWE. Apparently for years wrestlers have been signing rediculous contractors that considers them independent contracts. Which means that get no health coverage outside the ring means they can be fired at any time and no pension and also no off season. Shit that's rufff. So if you think we are being abused it's no where was bad as what Vince is doing with his wrestlers. If you can find the episode online I would watch it and also boycott wwe
So they made $.70 a show and $.28 a minute? I think they made a lot more money than an Uber driver and could probably afford health care.

AngelAdams

So they made $.70 a show and $.28 a minute? I think they made a lot more money than an Uber driver and could probably afford health care.
Most didn’t. The famous ones made bank. It’s different from U/L in the form that no one makes bank. There is no hope of making any bank and or advancement. The whole point of being an independent contractor is unlimited income potential.

blondebaedc

I watched this Last Week Tonight episode as well and yes, the way pro wrestlers are treated is atrocious, but I don't think you can make an equivalency between ride share driving and pro-wrestling.

Apples to apples, pro-wrestlers have it WAY worse because of the physical toll the job takes on their bodies, mental health, drug dependence, etc. Not to mention they are *contractually obligated* to follow the terms laid out to them by the WWE, or else get fired, but are still classified as ICs. That's problematic. You also need to have a very defined skill set to become a pro-wrestler, whereas basically anyone can do ride-share.

ETA: there are no celebrity ride-share drivers (as far as I know) and no one gets into ride sharing under the auspice that they might one day be famous and make *great* movies like Fast & Furious 35 or the Tooth Fairy.

goneubering

I watched this Last Week Tonight episode as well and yes, the way pro wrestlers are treated is atrocious, but I don't think you can make an equivalency between ride share driving and pro-wrestling.

Apples to apples, pro-wrestlers have it WAY worse because of the physical toll the job takes on their bodies, mental health, drug dependence, etc. Not to mention they are *contractually obligated* to follow the terms laid out to them by the WWE, or else get fired, but are still classified as ICs. That's problematic. You also need to have a very defined skill set to become a pro-wrestler, whereas basically anyone can do ride-share.

ETA: there are no celebrity ride-share drivers (as far as I know) and no one gets into ride sharing under the auspice that they might one day be famous and make *great* movies like Fast & Furious 35 or the Tooth Fairy.
WWE guys also seem to die younger than average.