You realize my car is not a 10' U-Haul, right? smh

Jake Air

So I'm at the airport...it's my turn...4.9 PAX.....what could possibly go wrong.
I pull up and there are five people from the Denver flight....with skis and luggage. It looked like they were moving a freaking 1 bedroom apartment. :rollseyes:
They see the car I'm driving and yet I kid you not.... they start picking everything up like they're actually going to cram everything in, including themselves. I drive a 2016 Civic....not a goddam clown car I should have told them. Instead I asked why they didn't order an XL? "Because it was more expensive." ? Unbelievable.
To make a long story short. No cancellation fee and back to #43 in the queue. I was like F that. I was so irritated, I just went home.

It's not fair. They need to start putting more reasons for cancellations on the app so that you get the fee, or at the very, very least, you don't lose your place in line. Not sure how Uber handles this situation, but Lyft is starting to really like punishing drivers as much as they can get away with.

DiceyDan

I'm not sure how other airports do it, but in KC if you get cancelled on or do the cancel, it will keep you at 1 in queue. This is not true if you go offline after cancelling.

Jake Air

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm not sure how other airports do it, but in KC if you get cancelled on or do the cancel, it will keep you at 1 in queue. This is not true if you go offline after cancelling.
Thanks for the info.
Do you have a certain amount of time to get back to the lot to hold your place? At any rate, how they do it in KC sounds logical and fair. I'm curious if every market has its own set of rules regarding airport cancellations.
I should have gone into the hub to check on why I didn't deserve a cancellation fee. Support was worthless with all of its canned "we know this can be frustrating" emails that got me nowhere.

theinca

I has a similar story today I had a pickup of four women at a hotel and they each had 4 large suitcase plus 5 other bags. I drive a Nissan Leaf which is an uberx and they wanted to try and cram everything in my car. I told them no and made them cancel.

DiceyDan

Thanks for the info.
Do you have a certain amount of time to get back to the lot to hold your place? At any rate, how they do it in KC sounds logical and fair. I'm curious if every market has its own set of rules regarding airport cancellations.
I should have gone into the hub to check on why I didn't deserve a cancellation fee. Support was worthless with all of its canned "we know this can be frustrating" emails that got me nowhere.
I don't know how long it holds you at the "1" spot, but I have gotten gas and bathroom (15 mins) and it still had me at "1" when I returned to the designated area. If you leave out of the airport grounds it will not keep your spot. If you don't accept 3 requests it will take you offline (out of queue), however, you can accept the 3rd request and then cancel it, it will then give you 3 more trys (rinse/repeat if you are a picky driver).

Bob Reynolds

So I'm at the airport...it's my turn...4.9 PAX.....what could possibly go wrong.
I pull up and there are five people from the Denver flight....with skis and luggage. It looked like they were moving a freaking 1 bedroom apartment. :rollseyes:
They see the car I'm driving and yet I kid you not.... they start picking everything up like they're actually going to cram everything in, including themselves. I drive a 2016 Civic....not a goddam clown car I should have told them. Instead I asked why they didn't order an XL? "Because it was more expensive." ? Unbelievable.
To make a long story short. No cancellation fee and back to #43 in the queue. I was like F that. I was so irritated, I just went home.

It's not fair. They need to start putting more reasons for cancellations on the app so that you get the fee, or at the very, very least, you don't lose your place in line. Not sure how Uber handles this situation, but Lyft is starting to really like punishing drivers as much as they can get away with.
Call them after you get the ping. Tell them what you are driving and how long you will be. Then ask how many people they have and how many pieces of luggage they have. If it won't fit you need to tell them to cancel and order a bigger vehicle. (or an additional vehicle) There are times when all of the passengers and all of the luggage will not fit in an XL either.

I had the same crap at IKEA one time. I pulled up and a lady wanted to load up my mini van with all of her merchandise. She said we weren't going far!

I told her we aren't a moving company and if she wanted this stuff moved then I charge $50 if she loads and unloads. If she wants me to help load and unload the stuff then it will cost more.

New2This

Take 5 minutes to explain how you can't possibly cram all their worldly possessions into your car then "rider isn't here" cancel. You get the fee and stay in Queue.

oldfart

A lot of those people request an x hoping to get a xl car at x rates. I drive a Ford Explorer but if I waited for XL pings I’d starve

Jake Air

I don't know how long it holds you at the "1" spot, but I have gotten gas and bathroom (15 mins) and it still had me at "1" when I returned to the designated area. If you leave out of the airport grounds it will not keep your spot. If you don't accept 3 requests it will take you offline (out of queue), however, you can accept the 3rd request and then cancel it, it will then give you 3 more trys (rinse/repeat if you are a picky driver).
Wow. If I don't accept a request when it's my turn (even if it's a PAX with a poor rating) -- it's back to the bottom of the queue I go.
If not wanting to take someone with a low rating is considered a picky driver....I guess that's what I am.
Anyhow....sounds like a nice system in KC.

Jake Air

Or there is this awesome new "system" from Lyft. "play leave airport queue and drive to airport and you will get a request along the way". Only to get this when I pull up. Sure, waste mytime, gas, and place in the queue. Yew!!!
Oh yea, I remember. But I don't get those anymore. I'm wondering if Lyft stopped doing that in Sacramento because airport officials complained there were already too many ride share drivers clogging up traffic at the pick-up terminals.
Post automatically merged:

A lot of those people request an x hoping to get a xl car at x rates. I drive a Ford Explorer but if I waited for XL pings I’d starve
Yea, I can imagine. But to be honest....I don't see a whole lot of XL vehicles staging in the lot at my airport. So unless you request one, I'm pretty sure you're most likely going to get an X.

Take 5 minutes to explain how you can't possibly cram all their worldly possessions into your car then "rider isn't here" cancel. You get the fee and stay in Queue.
Yes, good point. That's what I'll start doing.

Call them after you get the ping. Tell them what you are driving and how long you will be. Then ask how many people they have and how many pieces of luggage they have. If it won't fit you need to tell them to cancel and order a bigger vehicle. (or an additional vehicle) There are times when all of the passengers and all of the luggage will not fit in an XL either.

I had the same crap at IKEA one time. I pulled up and a lady wanted to load up my mini van with all of her merchandise. She said we weren't going far!

I told her we aren't a moving company and if she wanted this stuff moved then I charge $50 if she loads and unloads. If she wants me to help load and unload the stuff then it will cost more.
I think New2This has the better idea, which is spend five minutes telling them why it's not going to work out so I get the fee plus keep my place in line. An overwhelming percentage of my airport pick-ups are not knuckleheads who need a delivery truck for all of their worldly possessions they took on their trip.

Last edited:

UberTrent9

I has a similar story today I had a pickup of four women at a hotel and they each had 4 large suitcase plus 5 other bags. I drive a Nissan Leaf which is an uberx and they wanted to try and cram everything in my car. I told them no and made them cancel.
Surprised they didnt have a meltdown & reported you to Uber

MyJessicaLS430

If you drive Uber, you can simply choose the "too many luggage" option, take your $3.75. Although it remains a question whether Uber will place to you back to the very front of the queue.

I have only waited at the staging lot when I was a newbie. 2 hrs+ (minimum) wait for $20 (or less but with 25 miles to Houston DT)? No way.

By the way, you should feel grateful you were placed back to #43 compared with 200+ in George Bush Intercontinental at any given time :rollseyes:
...In case this makes you feel better with your market

The odd that the "3 additional" rides sent to the OP are the ones canceled by others is very high. I have experienced that myself and feel the pain.

Last edited:

ANT 7

Back packers are the @@@@ing worst ever. Cheap shits !!

I had 3 of them last year with all their stuff, and each of them had their back packs in their laps so they could fit in my car. Didn't want to pay for XL apparently. I only took them because they were going to the airport and it was worth the $25 to me.

Aerodrifting

Did they cancel or did you cancel? Make sure you get them to cancel instead.

If they refuse, Wait 5 mins and cancel rider not here and collect your fee.

Earlier morning three cute little Koreans girls tried to put three giant suitcases (the kind most trunks can only fit two) in my car, I told them no and dont even think about putting one in the front seat. Told them to get a XL or SUV and cancelled right in front of them.

Mind you I actually needed to go that direction and it was a DF ride, but I am not letting anyone take advantage of me or my black car. 2 min late got another a ride for a family of three but little luggage, Took them instead and they tipped cash.

KD_LA

Author
Interesting profile pic... you would have effortlessly fit right into this thread!
https://uberpeople.net/threads/introducing-up-net-members-as-their-lego-figures.287834/

Ubermcbc

Perfect technique.
Crack me up "all their worldly possessions".