"You have an umbrella already. Just let me have this one."

UberMeansSuper

Slowly, I start recalling why I stopped doing this more frequently.

It's a rainy evening here in my neck of the woods. Turned on the Uber app as I have nothing else to do on this boring Friday night.
Ding-ding-ding, 1.6 miles away.
Okay why not.

Lady needs a ride a few miles up the road to a friend's house. Has a suitcase. I don't like people touching my trunk because they're careless, but she's standing there as I'm loading, just supervising my interaction with her heavily beat-up luggage.

She gets up front riding shotgun (I hate it but whatever ⭐for⭐those⭐terrific⭐ratings⭐!!!) and is quiet the whole time, going through her phone.
12 minutes later. Arrive but keep meter running. I get out, start getting the baggage out of the trunk. She goes back to the front passenger door and opens it. Maybe she forgot something?

I keep an umbrella in that door pocket for myself. My door pocket has a flashlight and paper towels so no room for that. She gets the umbrella out and opens it and shuts the door. I'm looking at her like "uhm wtf?" and say, "did you need me to help you to the door?" Maybe she wants to use it until she gets to the front door of the house? Still rude not to ask but more "normal" of an idea.
"No, I need an umbrella and I see you have one in the trunk so I'll take this one if you don't mind. I really need it." Yes I do. A bigger one just in case I have anyone with me and they need an umbrella, you know, like a friend or something.

Mind you, it's not even raining hard. It's sprinkling but I'll be fine and so will she in our respective tasks (me unloading her bag, her walking to the door).

"Sorry that's mine. I don't give away my belongings. You should ask before you take anything from my car. Now, I'll help you to the front door and you can use it while we get there but it's mine."
"You have one already! I don't have one and I'm traveling tomorrow and it's going to rain. If you want to drive me home to get one that's fine but I'm not paying again."

Wut... "No, you're going to give it back and that's final or I'll report you to Uber and they can charge you for the cost." (Not sure Rohit would actually back me up, but who's she to call my bluff?)

"You have no concept of customer service or how to treat a lady. Take your stupid umbrella if it matters that much, and you're okay leaving me in the rain while I wait for my friend to get home!!"

I'm just the worst!! "That sounds fair to me. I appreciate you riding with me today. You have a great night." Snatch umbrella back. Drop bag on wet curb. Get in my car. End trip. 1-star. Go to Starbucks and start composing my "Dear Rohit, guess what happened?" preventative email before she hits me with the "my driver made me feel unsafe" report.

Wolfgang Faust

It's a rainy evening here in my neck of the woods. Turned on the Uber app as I have nothing else to do on this boring Friday night.
Okay why not.

Lady needs a ride a few miles up the road to a friend's house. Has a suitcase. I don't like people touching my trunk because they're careless, but she's standing there as I'm loading, just supervising my interaction with her heavily beat-up luggage.

She gets up front riding shotgun (I hate it but whatever ⭐for⭐those⭐terrific⭐ratings⭐!!!) and is quiet the whole time, going through her phone.
12 minutes later. Arrive but keep meter running. I get out, start getting the baggage out of the trunk. She goes back to the front passenger door and opens it. Maybe she forgot something?

I keep an umbrella in that door pocket for myself. My door pocket has a flashlight and paper towels so no room for that. She gets the umbrella out and opens it and shuts the door. I'm looking at her like "uhm wtf?" and say, "did you need me to help you to the door?" Maybe she wants to use it until she gets to the front door of the house? Still rude not to ask but more "normal" of an idea.
"No, I need an umbrella and I see you have one in the trunk so I'll take this one if you don't mind. I really need it." Yes I do. A bigger one just in case I have anyone with me and they need an umbrella, you know, like a friend or something.

Mind you, it's not even raining hard. It's sprinkling but I'll be fine and so will she in our respective tasks (me unloading her bag, her walking to the door).

"Sorry that's mine. I don't give away my belongings. You should ask before you take anything from my car. Now, I'll help you to the front door and you can use it while we get there but it's mine."
"You have one already! I don't have one and I'm traveling tomorrow and it's going to rain. If you want to drive me home to get one that's fine but I'm not paying again."

Wut... "No, you're going to give it back and that's final or I'll report you to Uber and they can charge you for the cost." (Not sure Rohit would actually back me up, but who's she to call my bluff?)

"You have no concept of customer service or how to treat a lady. Take your stupid umbrella if it matters that much, and you're okay leaving me in the rain while I wait for my friend to get home!!"

I'm just the worst!! "That sounds fair to me. I appreciate you riding with me today. You have a great night." Snatch umbrella back. Drop bag on wet curb. Get in my car. End trip. 1-star. Go to Starbucks and start composing my "Dear Rohit, guess what happened?" preventative email before she hits me with the "my driver made me feel unsafe" report.
Wow.
Just WOW.

Coachman

I had a couple 20 something guys one afternoon and it started raining pretty hard during the trip. I also keep my umbrella in the passenger side compartment and the guy saw it and kind of hinted that he could really use it. I told him it was his for $15. He chose to get wet.

UberBeemer

Okay why not.

Offer to sell it. Otherwise tell her you will report a theft of property.

You should have called support right away and told them she tried to steal it.

Last edited:

TheDevilisaParttimer

Okay why not.

You’re a very kind person. I would’ve cussed this lady out on the spot. I’m not someone that escalates things but she crossed well over all orders of personal space and respect boundaries.

Trafficat

How much does a umbrella cost ?
My Umbrella cost me over $200. I have this one: https://unbreakableumbrella.com/product/unbreakable-telescopic-umbrella-model-u-212s/
Post automatically merged:

But a cheapo $5.00, for a really nice one they can get over $100 (no idea why the %(*% anyone would spend so much)
My umbrella is one of my most prized possessions. I always bring it carry-on in airplanes and it goes with me everywhere I go in the world. I brought it with me to Japan.

mbd

sellkatsell44

My Umbrella cost me over $200. I have this one: https://unbreakableumbrella.com/product/unbreakable-telescopic-umbrella-model-u-212s/
Post automatically merged:

My umbrella is one of my most prized possessions. I always bring it carry-on in airplanes and it goes with me everywhere I go in the world. I brought it with me to Japan.
I brought a really nice one on sale Black Friday and it was stolen :frown: so I never brought another, it has a funny shape to it? Almost origami like.

last Year a coworker got me a davek umbrella. Was nice till it broke. Paid for the shipping label to get it replaced but never had the time/too lazy/don’t care about the umbrella personally...

I was walking to school last semester and it was POURING. This skinny black kid next to me was shivering but didn’t say anything.

gave him my umbrella (work issued one so he’s advertising for us, ha) since I had rain boots and a long jacket with hood made of material sprayed with something where water rolls off.

the point is, he didn’t demand, or even ask or take without permission.

fk if it’s a male or female.

people also keep trying to give me umbrellas... I have a few at work.

Last edited: