• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

You guys are making traffic WORSE!

BurgerTiime

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.9news.com/amp/article?section=traffic&headline=study-uber-and-lyft-may-be-making-traffic-worse-in-the-denver-metro-area&contentId=73-600660983

A study led by CU Denver Ph.D. graduate said Uber and Lyft are contributing to traffic congestion in the Denver metro area. According to the study, 83 percent of riders would have taken public transit, walked, or bicycled had the rideshare companies not been available.

Uber and Lyft may be making traffic worse in the Denver metro area, according to a study printed in the Journal of Transportation on Sept. 20. The study was led by University of Colorado Denver Ph.D. graduate Alejandro Henao.

Henao signed up as a driver for both rideshare companies in 2016. He provided hundreds of rides throughout the Denver metro area to collect real-time data and survey passengers for feedback and demographic information.

He found ride-hailing accounts for an 83 percent increase in the miles cars travel in the metro. Henao said a combined 34 percent of his passengers would have taken transit, walked or bicycled if ride-hailing didn't exist.

He said there were two main factors vehicle miles traveled increased. One was because of the distance drivers traveled without any passengers. According to the study, for every 100 miles carrying passengers, Uber and Lyft drivers travel an additional 69 miles without a passenger, conservatively.

The second was because ride-hailing is substituting more efficient and sustainable modes such as transit, biking, and walking.

"Given the lack of data and existing research, this study represents a nice step forward in helping us better understand how ride-haling impacts the transportation system," said co-author Wes Marshall in an article written on CU Denver's website.

Marshall is an associate professor in the Civil Engineering Department of the College of Engineering and Applied Science at CU Denver.

"However, cities still need better data to inform policy decisions about the many mobility-disrupting companies, and we have reached a point where we should expect, and probably need to require more data transparency," Marshall added.

ftnguyen

83 percent of riders would have taken public transit, walked, or bicycled had the rideshare companies not been available.

He found ride-hailing accounts for an 83 percent increase in the miles cars travel in the metro. Henao said a combined 34 percent of his passengers would have taken transit, walked or bicycled if ride-hailing didn't exist.
The numbers don't make sense... these 2 figures contradict each-other.

Crazy_urn

Deadheading 70 miles to get paid to drive 100 seems like a lot to me. Who is deadheading that much?

Medic303

"According to the study, for every 100 miles carrying passengers, Uber and Lyft drivers travel an additional 69 miles without a passenger, conservatively."
I think that’s over the course of 100 miles. From to and from home and to and from ride pick ups. Unless you do what I do and sit in one spot and wait for a ride, almost all of us do that...sometimes even if I’m getting rides all day. Before I went Select only I was putting 150-200 miles a day when I drove all day on a weekend or something. Of course that was also two years ago before driving became so difficult.

Crazy_urn

I can tell you I certainly dont deadhead 70 miles for every 100 miles with pax. And I live in BFE.

Westerner

Just avoid rush hour and you'll be fine. Denver has very defined rush hours (6-8 AM and 3-7 PM) just be thankful you don't live in LA where it's rush hour ALL THE TIME

AvsUberJunkie

It's the lazies that can't walk 1 cot damn mile.
or have to think about their trip along the way. It's easy, we pick you up where you want, drop you where you need to be. no thinking about where's the efin bus, or that car almost hit me, or that's too damn far to walk.

Skyviper

I think that’s over the course of 100 miles. From to and from home and to and from ride pick ups. Unless you do what I do and sit in one spot and wait for a ride, almost all of us do that...sometimes even if I’m getting rides all day. Before I went Select only I was putting 150-200 miles a day when I drove all day on a weekend or something. Of course that was also two years ago before driving became so difficult.
My commute to and from work is just like anyone else going to and from work. If I drive 10 miles to my first rider and 10 miles home after my last, how is that different than anyone else working in Denver? Oh, wait, I don't have to ask for time off to go to my kids football game or my wife's doctors appointment.