1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

You can't stop self-driving cars. Nor should you want to.

Discussion in 'Autonomous' started by tomatopaste, Aug 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. tomatopaste

tomatopaste Well-Known Member

Even if Uber ever got their act together, driving jobs are going the way of the chimney sweep. And that's not a bad thing.
    1. Traffic jams become a thing of the past
    2. Everything becomes valet
    3. Turn your garage into a man-cave
    4. Fatal accidents become very rare. In the long run
    5. No more need for large parking lots. Frees up land.
    6. Delivery of everything will be free. Or very very cheap
    7. Most people won't own cars. It'll be cheaper to subscripe to a self-driving taxi service
    8. You'll have access to a SUV, truck, van, depending on what you need for that trip.
    It's going to be great.

jettpacc, tohunt4me and wb6vpm like this.
  2. everythingsuber

everythingsuber Well-Known Member

There is the minor issue that they are not remotely close to actually working as yet.
    Teleporting would be nice as well.

3. tomatopaste

They could start doing grocery delivery at night, say in a 2 mile radius from the supermarket, from 2am to 4am when there's no cars on the street. You'd have to sign up and they'd plot the location of your house. That's ready now. Fully autonomous, for humans, probably five to ten years.

4. PrestonT

PrestonT Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    Hell, Uber drivers can't afford houses with garages now. I guess we can bring an extra cardboard box under the bridge to build a mancave.

5. Fubernuber

Fubernuber Well-Known Member

Oh god enough with this already. Its not happeing. Mostly because the expense of having an actual driver is about the same as driverless. Uber will have to own these driverless cars. You think a 50 billion dollar bahemoth wants to be on the front end of lawsuits? You think they have money to buy the fleet? Maintain it? Warehouse it? The lapse between privately owned self driving cars and driverless for hires will be many years. You see any private driverless cars yet? Just to repeat the obvious. At thr very least 75% of our fares would not call a driver if they had a driverless car. They would not call for a driverless car either. Your own personal driverless car can take you anywhere and wait or go back to your garage. Not happening. I am in my later 30s and i hope to see this by the time my kids are old and grey

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017

6. Gung-Ho

Gung-Ho Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    WHOA WHOA WHOA!!!

A chimney sweep is a very important maintenance and safety feature for routine home care.

As for all the other mumbo jumbo....meh. We'll see.

Yam Digger, Rahlo, Spotscat and 3 others like this.
  7. tohunt4me

tohunt4me Well-Known Member

I vote for teleporatation.
    Its almost as far along as self driving cars.

We have had Flying Cars for OVER 60 YEARS.

BUT I STILL DONT SEE ANY HERE.

I think home fires have increased in recent years from Lack of Chimney Sweeps
    Probably Pays Better than Uber too !

Harder to find
    Good boxes

8. tomatopaste

You went from 'Uber is a 50 billion dollar behemoth' to 'You think they have money to buy the fleet, maintain it and warehouse it?" in under two sentences. I'm checking to see if that's a new world record.

"The expense of having an actual driver is about the same as driverless." Come on, that's patently absurd. The largest cost for almost all businesses is people. Avg being 60 percent. With Uber it's probably more like 80%. Uber doesn't have to own the cars, people could lease their car to Uber, have it pulls itself out of the garage, drives someone to the airport, do a few more runs and tuck itself back in. Most people only use their cars 4 percent of the time. But my guess is the self-driving taxi company will prefer to own the cars. Also, it won't be Uber. Uber is not going to win the self-driving car race.

2017: "You see any private driverless cars yet?"
    1903: "Wilbur and Orville are trying to build a contraption that will allow men to fly like birds. What a bunch of idiots"

Select, Black do

LEO2112 likes this.
  9. Fubernuber

You ever wonder why ford dont own dealers? Why gm dont sell cars directly? Why uber dont hire minimim wage drivers? Start wondering. Its called liability.
    It took decades for the wright brothers invention to become commercially viable and many more decades to be ubiquitous. I did not make an error above. Uber does not want to own the cars. Their investors will skin them alive if they try. The wall between uber and the opperators who are ultimately the likely target of a lawsuit is thick and will always remain that way.

Yam Digger, Cynergie and Xanvel like this.
  10. tomatopaste

This is a two year old startup. First flight was in April.

The world is changing. Technology is moving at an exponential rate. Strap in.

LEO2112 likes this.
  11. Fubernuber

Taxi cab companies will eventually own fleets of driverless cars decades from now but these companies will be much smaller, much more nimble and worth thousands of times less than uber.

Super. Its new tech that has been around for decades employed by the military. Skip self drivint cars. This self driving personal drone will be available 2020. Pffft. I am in my late thirties. By the time i am looking forward to retirement the faa will still be doing studies.

DeplorableDonald and Xanvel like this.
  12. canyon

canyon Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    9. Maybe by 2040 but a lot can happen in between those years. By then I wont care. The American people wont let this happen. Just be patient and watch. These cars are going to be vandalized like you never seen. But good luck.

Yam Digger and Brian G. like this.
  13. tomatopaste

Are you at happy hour? Ford and GM are liable for their cars regardless of how they market them.

14. Fubernuber

They had an article here on the forum
    I give up you win. Let me know when the preorders for self driving cars start. I will sell you a self opening draw bridge and a self cleaning booth for your self opperating bridge sweeper to sit in.

15. tomatopaste

Uber does not want to own the cars but it's not due to liability. It has to do with capital. If you own the car and quit it's no skin off Uber's teeth. If Uber ponies up the 20/30k and you quit, it's a big deal

Uber is only possible due to recent advancements in technology: smart phones, gps, large bandwidth.

Lilium is now possible due to advancements in battery technology. You can't operate a fleet of screaming Harrier Jump Jets, spewing jet fuel, in a metropolitan area. You can operate a Lilium electric jet, that's quieter than a motorcycle, in a metropolitan area.

16. Jesusdrivesuber

Jesusdrivesuber Well-Known Member

Hah, I think the bad side of driverless cars far outweighs the pros.

Mikedamirault and tohunt4me like this.
  17. Fubernuber

You are completely mistaken. Uber is only possible thanks to a 0% fed rate and free money. So much money that their investors are litterally throwing money at them with no guarantees of a return on investment. Uber is as far from a tech company as google is from a fulfillment company. I think you are a smart kid but one day you will be a man still without a driverless car or a driveless uber many years from now

18. tomatopaste

Did you even see number 3, man-cave?

19. Fubernuber

The only thing uber has now that is worth any money is drivers and growing user base that needs drivers to service them. Take drivers out of the picture and you have a slew of very well capitalized tech companies that are lightyears better equippes than uber ever will be to start the driverless livery evolution. Take the blinders away from your eyes. The biggest obstacle to ubers self driving car intentions is uber it self. Its all a show. You got front row ticketts. Think it over very hard. I know you will get it eventually. I am going to stop you now from saying "but uber had a brand and loyal customers". They have nothing but a legion of desperate drivers and many more desperate for uber to fail. They will and so will their dream of sdc livery in the near future

20. tomatopaste

1. Uber doesn't "have" drivers. Drivers despise Uber and are just waiting for someone better to come along.
    2. Did I not say that Uber is going to lose the self-driving race. I did. Are you still at happy hour? You realize drinks are only half off until six, right?
    3. Did you not say "I give up you win" You did. Are you asking to be reinstated? If so, I'll allow it but realize it's going to be painful.