• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

"You are the only white driver I've ever had."

LBJr

I've had pax say "Oh good, you speak English!" or "You're the first American driver I've had in awhile."

It's always the business pax during day shift. The bar crowds always comment more about the music I'm playing. I try to guess what kind of music they'll be into base on where I'm picking them up from and their name. I tend to get less requests for the AUX cord that way and since I'm good with all genres of music, I'm still listening to what I like.

Diamondraider

Actually now that I think about it there was an old guy a few weeks ago who said that he was happy I was American. I wanted to ask if his xenophobic ass would be unhappy if I wasn't. But I did the smart thing and kept my mouth shut. He'll be dead soon, anyway.
Aren’t you glad Lady Hillary made those big words mainstream?

Diamondraider

Which word, "xenophobic"? I knew what that meant long before 2016 because I'm not an idiot ??
Just a little teasing ?....I just remember when you couldn’t watch 3 minutes of news without hearing it used. Probably the most overused, multi syllabic word of the last 3 years, followed closely by misogynistic. But some people still can’t fully embrace using misogynistic in the water cooler discussions.

Funky Monkey

Some of these folks throw money at me. It helps. I wouldn't be driving if I didn't need it. I feel like if you're different from them in some way it's even more important to have a clean car, dress nicely, help w/ luggage etc. I read somewhere that someone from "Sudan" who dresses nicely may be more relatable for a business traveler than me if I dress like crap, smell etc

Kodyhead

I have gotten this a few times over 1000 rides.

Yesterday guy says he's taken 30-40 ubers and I was only white driver.

Are whites only 5% (or less) of drivers?
Not sure what market you are in, but have you ever taken an uber as a rider?

If not, forget about race just checkout your competition lol

SinTaxERROR

Not sure what color I'd be called. Beige? Walnut? Caramel? (Took a quick snap in 10 mph crawl traffic.)

View attachment 345170

I just know for some reason I don't like being called "Olive" just because I'm Italian. I think that 23% Apache Indian would beg to differ.
You have big knuckles. I would be a very well behaved pax in your car for fear of being punched in the face by you ?

SuzeCB

I've had pax say "Oh good, you speak English!" or "You're the first American driver I've had in awhile."

It's always the business pax during day shift. The bar crowds always comment more about the music I'm playing. I try to guess what kind of music they'll be into base on where I'm picking them up from and their name. I tend to get less requests for the AUX cord that way and since I'm good with all genres of music, I'm still listening to what I like.
The speaking English part I get. Or Spanish or any other language the driver and pax have in common. It's just easier when you can communicate effectively.

OTOH, I have had to deal with people that supposedly speak English, but I couldn't swear it was true.

Manecut1

I have gotten this a few times over 1000 rides.

Yesterday guy says he's taken 30-40 ubers and I was only white driver.

Are whites only 5% (or less) of drivers?
All I care about is that you speak english!!!! The dumbass drivers that dont speak it and ignore the rider but yet listen to the apps directions in English just piss me off to no end. Same goes for the idiot riders that talk jibberish then say. Have a nice day and thank you in perfect english.