• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Yet another driver sued over accident

BurgerTiime

Jessica Christie, 23, of Concord, was struck and killed in San Francisco on Nov. 5, 2018 by an Uber driver on the 700 block of Broadway.

In case you didn’t realize there’s hundreds drivers all over the world facing lawsuits involved crashes and assaults.
Uber nor Lyft will pay for your defense leaving you holding the legal money bag.
You are an independent contractor subject to civil suits. Many drivers are unaware of the hidden dangers an event may cause.

Family of barista and UC Berkeley student sues Uber, driver over deadly San Francisco crash

“My client and his family are deeply saddened by the death of the motorcyclist,” Samara said. “He feels awful that someone died.”
Andrew Hasbun, an Uber spokesman, said Uber removed Martinez as a driver. He declined to comment further.

Pax Collector

Rideshare driver or not, you'll still be liable for whatever your insurance wouldn't cover.

I bet this ant didn't even have rideshare endorsement at the time and is screwed into oblivion.

That's one more reason I don't drive in San Francisco. Too many dumb ants doing dumb shit such as this.

mbd

Illegal u turn .... sometimes the gps will say to make a UTurn at a illegal uturn sign.
Driver will be ok, Uber will write a big check
Bikes- most of the bikes on highways going well over the speed limit.

BurgerTiime

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Illegal u turn .... sometimes the gps will say to make a UTurn at a illegal uturn sign.
Driver will be ok, Uber will write a big check
Bikes- most of the bikes on highways going well over the speed limit.
Uber has only wrote “big checks” on big news that tainted their reputation. They pay nothing and provide zero help for drivers that don’t make news.

mbd

Driver will not pay a dime to the family.
He will spend moneys on the lawyer.
Family will get $$$, but not from drivers bank account.

BurgerTiime

Uber's insurance is going to pay out big time on a deadly crash...
If you mean $1 million being “big time” then that’s the cap. They don’t payout extra as that’s the amount the regulators found sufficient.
Another thing, if 4 people are injured and one is paralyzed, the $1 million is divided equally. The paralyzed one doesn’t receive more of the pie. I’ve posted an article on that situation too.

observer

If you mean $1 million being “big time” then that’s the cap. They don’t payout extra as that’s the amount the regulators found sufficient.
Another thing, if 4 people are injured and one is paralyzed, the $1 million is divided equally. The paralyzed one doesn’t receive more of the pie. I’ve posted an article on that situation too.
Is it a cap or is it a minimum?

When our trucking business insured our trucks we were required by state law to have a 1M minimum policy. The insurance company paid up to 1M, we were responsible for anything above 1M.

We could, if we wanted to, purchase a higher coverage.

Irishjohn831

Why sue the driver? In 99% of the cases the only "asset" the driver has will be a 14 year Toyota Prius with 300,000 miles, a cracked windshield and in dire need of a new transmission.
I guess because the family feels losing someone they love to an illegal uturn where the driver had been charged is part of their dealing with the pain.

BurgerTiime

Is it a cap or is it a minimum?

When our trucking business insured our trucks we were required by state law to have a 1M minimum policy. The insurance company paid up to 1M, we were responsible for anything above 1M.

We could, if we wanted to, purchase a higher coverage.
The min is zero the max coverage per ride is $1 mil. $1 mil is a lot less than most livery policies (and commercial trucks) Most have double that. Also Uber is not the insurer, it’s James River in most of the USA in other countries they have different insurance and policies.