Yellow Cab drivers driving for Uber

ptuberx

I had two rides tonight around 3 AM, and the pax in both fares were bar staff from downtown around Court Ave. Now, I was just having normal conversation with them but they both brought up the topic to me that they have been getting Yellow Cabs showing up running "off-hours" as Uber drivers. Both pax seemed unpleasant about their "Uber experience" in the back of a Yellow Cab.

This upsets me a bit. Obviously if this is true, it confirms what I have seen others hint at here in other threads. First, if that is what is going on, the cab drivers are not only violating Uber policy but are breaking the law too. Second, it puts a bad mark on Uber drivers if at 3 AM+, a waitress or bartender wants to go home, is expecting a clean Uber car and instead gets a dirty Yellow Cab under an Uber identity.

The legislature already held Uber's feet to the fire on this, I think it's time they crack down on these cab drivers that are confusing our customers with shady dealings and bad services.

Last edited by a moderator:

UberMom2

If the uber system approves a car why does it matter if it is a yellow cab. Assuming it is the real car they registered with uber. It should show pic and license plate of the car so if that matches and there is not fraud. If it does not match the PAX should not get in the car.
I always see ubers on the pax map sitting in the cab line on 3rd downtown so I always assumed some of the cabbies were uberdrivers as well.
They will just appreciate your clean, Iowan owned, Car that much more...

ptuberx

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
If the uber system approves a car why does it matter if it is a yellow cab. Assuming it is the real car they registered with uber. It should show pic and license plate of the car so if that matches and there is not fraud. If it does not match the PAX should not get in the car.
I always see ubers on the pax map sitting in the cab line on 3rd downtown so I always assumed some of the cabbies were uberdrivers as well.
They will just appreciate your clean, Iowan owned, Car that much more...
And they do appreciate it, but my point is that uber explicitly says that you cannot take fares on their system if you are driving a taxi, and taxi companies have strict guidelines on taking "outside" fares. It seems to me that a cab driver that double-duty on the clock can get some serious fines and have their certification yanked, meanwhile if uber finds out, they are booted from that too. I'm just trying to clarify the regs here...

Lando74

Uber policy is strictly no Taxis using the Uber platform, unless it is UberTaxi - which only a few cities have. There were a lot of cabs doing this when Uber first came to Des Moines. If I ever saw one I reported them. It only hurts us regular drivers when they ruin the experience for customers.

toi

I had two rides tonight around 3 AM, and the pax in both fares were bar staff from downtown around Court Ave. Now, I was just having normal conversation with them but they both brought up the topic to me that they have been getting Yellow Cabs showing up running "off-hours" as Uber drivers. Both pax seemed unpleasant about their "Uber experience" in the back of a Yellow Cab.

This upsets me a bit. Obviously if this is true, it confirms what I have seen others hint at here in other threads. First, if that is what is going on, the cab drivers are not only violating Uber policy but are breaking the law too. Second, it puts a bad mark on Uber drivers if at 3 AM+, a waitress or bartender wants to go home, is expecting a clean Uber car and instead gets a dirty Yellow Cab under an Uber identity.

The legislature already held Uber's feet to the fire on this, I think it's time they crack down on these cab drivers that are confusing our customers with shady dealings and bad services.
uber started by breaking the law.
maybe its time for a payback

observer

And they do appreciate it, but my point is that uber explicitly says that you cannot take fares on their system if you are driving a taxi, and taxi companies have strict guidelines on taking "outside" fares. It seems to me that a cab driver that double-duty on the clock can get some serious fines and have their certification yanked, meanwhile if uber finds out, they are booted from that too. I'm just trying to clarify the regs here...
According to Uber, it operates in a gray area, where there are no regs. So why should anyone follow any regs?