Uber Drivers Forum banner

Yay or Nay? Recording Camera (Outside & Inside Car) - Any Opinions?

4K views 41 replies 24 participants last post by  Blue Poodle 
#1 ·
I've been considering adding a recording camera to my vehicle. Thinking whether to get a dual recording camera that records both the outside and the inside, however, I also have these thoughts...

- It creeps me out a little bit to be recorded at all times. Not a great feeling.
- I don't want to start in any viral videos named 'Uber driver loses it and yells obscenities at his phone for 3 minutes straight' or 'Uber driver picking his nose - This one is a huge winner!'
- If indeed something does happen, I also don't want something stupid like 'driver was yawning 30 minutes before the accident, he was tired, so he caused the accident' - apparently BOTH parties in a dispute can request the entire contents of a recording camera.
- Some people hungry for attention actually do worse in front of recording cameras
- Have you ever had any pax declining the ride because of the camera recording inside?

However, obviously the benefit is to CYA whenever either the Pax are being unruly to you, or bad drivers. Perhaps can come in handy when arguing when Pax dont show up. For those using the cameras, share some thoughts please...

See less See more
#2 ·
I thought sbout getting one mostly for traffic and if you grt in an accident and its the other driver's fault, you have proof, case closed.

That is why Russia uses them, to reocrd accidents, either to see a video than to reinact what happened.

I thought about getting one, they are pretty cheap on Ebay, but havent got one yet.

You can also see if your phone video camera can be on and recording while you drive, there might be an app for that.

#7 ·
This is the camera I have. It has a lot of features for a reasonable price. The only drawback is the 32gb card...you cant use a 64 in it and you only get about 3.5 hours with the 32 so I carry 2 of them and set an alarm to remind myself to swap them. When I get home I transfer them to my laptop for storage for 30 days. If you want to keep them longer consider getting a couple of external 1 terrabyte hard drives for your computer.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0147R9PDO/?tag=ubne0c-20

#10 ·
This is the camera I have. It has a lot of features for a reasonable price. The only drawback is the 32gb card...you cant use a 64 in it and you only get about 3.5 hours with the 32 so I carry 2 of them and set an alarm to remind myself to swap them. When I get home I transfer them to my laptop for storage for 30 days. If you want to keep them longer consider getting a couple of external 1 terrabyte hard drives for your computer.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0147R9PDO/?tag=ubne0c-20
Dunno... why is this thing recording in HD?? You should get at least a full work day with a 32GB card (8-10 hrs) if you record back to SD or less. You don't need HD. I wouldn't be swapping cards 2-3 times a day. If you can somehow reduce the recording definition, you oughta get a lot more. Use .mov video files (yeah MS pain in the ass but they are not huge files)

#18 · (Edited)
YOU HAVE TO HAVE A CAMERA !!!!

am looking at the blackvue but it's so expensive and I don't know how to install that kind stuff but am aware am being an idiot each time I go out ther without one
My BlackVue arrives today.

BlackVue DR650GW-2CH-IR

Got it from a company called Rear View Safety. Good experience, so far.

Sorry, I'm too new to post links right now. :)

Yes, I paid ~400 for the whole setup (added the Magic Power Box too, for an "always-on" setup), and yes, I'm having it installed professionally.

I'd rather have it done properly, as opposed to not.

Edit: I made the extra dough to fund this purchase on a week of driving. Not a big deal, if Uber isnt your primary income.

#19 ·
fairly certain california is a two party state which means that both parties have to consent to the recording. this means I believe you have to have a notification in your car telling people they are being recorded. otherwise all of your recording is useless in court, even grounds for a lawsuit against you

so, do if you dare

when I decide I don't want or need this gig anymore, I'm going to add a sneaky dual dash cam and troll people. I will mess with people hard until I get deactivated and then cut it into a hopefully quite funny short film

#22 ·
manuella well then that would be the most interesting thing to ever happen to me in this gig lol. everyone is so dull, I doubt I'd get anyone trying mess back. unless you mean like fight me? I'm not really concerned about that either

what I had in mind was stupid stuff- farting loudly during a quiet ride, pretending I don't speak any english and getting agitated, stopping through drive through to pick up some coffee, telling them to hold on while I went and got a sandwich, staring at them in the rear mirror hard, telling them this is a 'quiet car' and they're not allowed to make noises or text, blahblah that's just off the top of my head I'm sure I could get more creative

#23 ·
Have you tried just good old flirting ? although I don't have much luck with it on uber but makes some fun lyft rides :) too many jerks on uber that's why am thinking your stunts might not go so well

idk but some reason I now enjoy driving uber , must be the fatt direct deposit !!! Sadly my feelings seem to be attached to money not a dull moment . try having a good tshirt on , a haircut , clean car and a happy attitude trick is to look good without seeming like you are trying then flirt away :) never asked for a phone number never done anything creepy lol creepy things have been done to me though haha

am trying to say make it fun

#29 ·
Just had to call 911 cause a woman wouldn't get out my car ! (Wrong rider) I couldn't record her and be on the phone with police at same time all I kept thinking was how I don't have a camera in the car
Shit never happened to me.
Everyone cant wait to get out.
Also helps to be an angry ripped dude who looks like he is about to beat ur ass

#35 · (Edited)
Januscam v2 hd
I roll with that. Its not cheap. But its tamperproof and admissable in court. Does infrared, sound. Front back. And any pax who dont like it can eat a fat one. Signage bra

Although. The super duper cheap way is to use a dashcam app provided your phone is located in a decent location when u drive.

U definitely lose some stuff doing it rhat way. But. Two sides of the same apectrum.

There are cameras that aync to clouds and do lots of cool things like iphone feedback. But tbh. Syncing requires a hot spot. And i dislike overwriting. I save all my stuff for two weeks incase some azzhat makes a claim two days later etc.

I got the video for uber lyft.
And if that doesnt work.
I got the video for youtube. Lol

If it becomes a situation requiring police. I probably dont want that video coming out. Cuz i got ptsd and i wish a mutha would.

#37 ·
Too true. Here in fascist cali. We need signage for audio. Not for vid. But vid only is squat cuz it doesnt help with he said she said stuff.

Ie. My driver said blah blah. Id like my ride comped and my next one comped too. Really? Well. Boom. Audio n vid.

#39 ·
I'm not very impressed with the camera systems currently out there. It seems like a pain in the ass to install + take down every time you park. Or leave it up and risk getting your window smashed. Then there's the liability of having a camera. That camera can be a double edged sword. If there was a more discreet camera system with like 4 cameras (even if it cost a grand or two) I would be more interested.

This is from someone who has been running multiple security IP cameras for over a decade.

#42 ·
I have the Falcon 360 and I leave it up full time. I just unplug the cable. I live in the Haight and haven't had my car broken into over several months. (Knock on wood) I think the crackheads are too stupid to realize it has value and is removable. If I had a gym bag in my car, my window would be smashed in hours.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.