XL question

Mista T

Author
Anyone do Plus or XL in pdx? I'm thinking of getting a used minivan to do it, since X rates suck.

What % of your rides are XL vs X? Are you picky and only take XL rides or do you take whatever comes your way?

Any solid info appreciated, thx guys and girls.

Over/Uber

I’ve done XL with my wife’s Sorento, did on Christmas Day, actually. It’s AWD.

I’m not that picky and will take X rides with the XL rig, especially with any surge because there just aren’t that many XL pings. My ratio X/XL seems about 5/2-5/3ish.

If you need a new rideshare rig anyway and can get a decent minivan for very little-to-no payment (cash), I’d say go for it. Otherwise, it will take a lot of XL rides to pay for the MV and you might be better off staying with what you’re doing.

If I stay at this, my next dedicated rideshare car will be XL-either MV or 7pax crossover with AWD.

Doughie

I drove Plus and XL for a year but I'm switching to X and Lyft now that my 2007 has aged out of the system. During the week XL rides are so rare that you usually don't get more than 1 or 2 in a shift which doesn't make up for the higher cost of the vehicle. A slow weekend night isn't much better. The only time I actually come out ahead is on a good Saturday.

Iann

I'm in a Xl kia sorento. I get about 50/50 rides between X and Xl and more Plus rides on Lyft compared to non Plus.
Having XL on uber puts you in the Queue at a lower number compared to regular X drivers.
Having Plus and Xl is nice especially on a surge at pdx
Screenshot_20180103-095228.jpg

The Snowman

I did some XL for a while and it doesn't pay off. Driving a gas hog, relative to my high miler, for X is not cost effective and the money I make driving XL doesn't cover the decreased income from the lower MPG.

During the snow storms I did drive the gas hog just because the surge was worth it. Most of the time I hauled 1-2 people and didn't have one XL ping.

Iann

I did some XL for a while and it doesn't pay off. Driving a gas hog, relative to my high miler, for X is not cost effective and the money I make driving XL doesn't cover the decreased income from the lower MPG.

During the snow storms I did drive the gas hog just because the surge was worth it. Most of the time I hauled 1-2 people and didn't have one XL ping.
What mpg do you consider a gas hog?

The Snowman

What mpg do you consider a gas hog?
Anything less than 20mpg. If you think about it that is 30% less that my normal Uber vehicle which gets about 30mpg. I get about 18mpg in the SUV and 15 in the snow. With huge surge rates it is worth it but isn't worth it with normal driving. Anytime your costs go up 30% something is very wrong and personally I would be working very hard to find out how to reclaim that 30% in increased costs. On top of the increased fuel costs the maintenance is much higher. My tires are about 50% more than my car, the cost of brakes are almost double the cost of a car.

According to AAA the cost to drive a small car is about $0.45 per mile while an SUV is about $0.75 per mile. That has been close to my experience also. I keep track of all my vehicle costs in Quicken including the purchase costs and the price when I eventually sell it.

People who drive for Uber/Lyft full time don't consider many of the costs involved in operating a vehicle. Uber/Lyft bank on this because most folks are economically challenged and are clueless about running a business which is what Uber/Lyft drivers really are. There is an almost never ending stream of drivers that come and go in this business. Many drivers leave once they realize that they can't make a living in this job.

Iann

Anything less than 20mpg. If you think about it that is 30% less that my normal Uber vehicle which gets about 30mpg. I get about 18mpg in the SUV and 15 in the snow. With huge surge rates it is worth it but isn't worth it with normal driving. Anytime your costs go up 30% something is very wrong and personally I would be working very hard to find out how to reclaim that 30% in increased costs. On top of the increased fuel costs the maintenance is much higher. My tires are about 50% more than my car, the cost of brakes are almost double the cost of a car.

According to AAA the cost to drive a small car is about $0.45 per mile while an SUV is about $0.75 per mile. That has been close to my experience also. I keep track of all my vehicle costs in Quicken including the purchase costs and the price when I eventually sell it.

People who drive for Uber/Lyft full time don't consider many of the costs involved in operating a vehicle. Uber/Lyft bank on this because most folks are economically challenged and are clueless about running a business which is what Uber/Lyft drivers really are. There is an almost never ending stream of drivers that come and go in this business. Many drivers leave once they realize that they can't make a living in this job.
My xl averages 22-26 mpg. lowest i seen it was at 18 and that was all downtown stop and go.
You can't argue that having both options of X and XL will get more rides compared to only X available.

My xl averages 22-26 mpg. lowest i seen it was at 18 and that was all downtown stop and go.
You can't argue that having both options of X and XL will get more rides compared to only X available.
I Just got a 2016 Nissan Altima and got crap for requests last night.
Same time my wife used the xl and got way more rides than me last night.

Over/Uber

I Just got a 2016 Nissan Altima and got crap for requests last night.
Same time my wife used the xl and got way more rides than me last night.
Coincidence/luck of the draw. Do 10 shifts and see how numbers compare.

The Snowman

Options is always good. But unless there is a lot of demand for XL I stick with my car because of the differences in cost of operating the larger vehicle.

I see drivers using newer Mercedes and Audi's that cost at least $50,000 and have to wonder if they understand the costs involved. I have an older Chev that gets 30mpg combined and it cost me less than $10,000 to buy it with less than 15,000 miles on it. I get paid the same rate as the person driving the high end vehicles and my ratings are very high. I have not had any complaints about my vehicle. My profit it much higher compared to the person driving the high end car.

In an 8 year life of the car with as many miles as I have put on it the car will be worth about $2000. This means that it cost me about $1000 per year for the purchase cost which is about $83 per month that I have to make just to pay for the car. A higher end car that cost 50k and has an 5k residual value of 5k will cost about $500 per month for the purchase price.

On top of that the cost of maintaining a higher end vehicle is much higher. My car is rated at about $6000 in overall maintenance costs while a Mercedes is over double that at $13000 for the life of the car. That means that in 8 years the Mercedes will cost another $75 per month to maintain. Total cost for the Mercedes will be almost $650 per month while my cheap Chev will cost $150. At the end of both cars life they will be sold in a used car lot of next to nothing and will soon be in a junk yard and being parted out till there is nothing left and they will be scrapped.

That is the reality of life and the reason that cabs are often low end vehicles and very spartan in creature comforts.

Personally I would never drive a high end car with Uber/Lyft even to pay it off and write off the miles on my taxes. It would take at least 2 years of lots of driving to pay off a high end car.

Coincidence/luck of the draw. Do 10 shifts and see how numbers compare.
Exactly. One has to have a good solid bank of data before making any kind of reasonable assessment.

Iann

Anyone do Plus or XL in pdx? I'm thinking of getting a used minivan to do it, since X rates suck.

What % of your rides are XL vs X? Are you picky and only take XL rides or do you take whatever comes your way?

Any solid info appreciated, thx guys and girls.
Forgot to ask if you joined the XL Plus club?

Mista T

Author
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Forgot to ask if you joined the XL Plus club?
Bought a vehicle yesterday. Plain old auto, 2013. Going to get it approved for both, but will let the wife drive it and just use it as a backup car.