1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

XL drivers, What would you do?

Discussion in 'Advice' started by Donshonda, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Donshonda

Donshonda Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    Saturday night drunk crowd, 3.6 Surge, 1:10am... Arrive to pick up already texted to Paxhole to confirm 5-7 riders. I have a 15 Honda Pilot that has 7 seatbelts, so no issue there. Upon arrival confirm name with account holder, She tells her friends, yes this is the right car, back door opens and before I could say anything 2 out of the 7 riders get in and abruptly step on my backseat leather and climb over to access the 3rd row, instead of sliding the seat like a normal person. I ask nicely to move the seat instead... 3rd drunk girl climbs over anyway I notice she has heals on. This did not (thankfully) puncture the leather but it did leave a pretty good indentation.
    Now at this point I get a little upset. I almost kicked them out right there. I decided to advise them that I could kick them out if they didn't start respecting my car and me. I didn't want to lose out on the $50 or more fare. Ride was only 15 min. very uneventful after the stern warning.

What would you do?

tohunt4me likes this.
  2. henrygates

henrygates Active Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    Sounds like you handled it pretty well! Only thing I can recommend is to start telling people before unlocking to let them in that they need to slide the seat up to access the back row. If you are confirming by text how many passengers, is it easy to move the seat forward yourself before you get there? That way it's ready to go. Inconvenient, but worth it to save the leather.

I have bucket seats in my third row with an aisle in the middle, so people always access the third row that way. They can NEVER figure out how to fold up the middle seat without help (except for one mom who owned the same van!). Picked up a gaggle of girls the other day (not drunk) and one sat in the aisle on top of the armrests. WTF? I told her there's actually a seat in the back and she looked surprised and finally found a seat.

Nice kids, though.

3. dctcmn

dctcmn Well-Known Member

Do you have a 2 channel dash cam?

I would say nothing during the trip, otherwise some of the savvier dirt bags out there will report you for some BS excuse like DUI in retaliation after the fact. Take a video of the seat indentation with your phone after the ride is over, then send the best screenshots (the more the better) from the video and get compensated for the damage.

upyouruber and Rakos like this.
  4. RideshareGentrification

RideshareGentrification Member

Driving:
    UberPREMIUM
    If I get there and see an xl is gonna need access to 3rd row I get out of the car and guide the people to the 3rd row as not to damage leather or anything.
    My seats fold and then flip with a button but to get the flop part u have to either hold the button down or press it a 2nd time so people were folding the seat then stepping on it which ended up causing issues with the system. It was an easy electrical reset of the switch but it just annoyed me.

I honestly hate xl during the evening for this exact reason when I do work a rare evening I tend to just turn off xl and ignore plus rides (unless surge) I leave it on select, premier, lux,and lux suv only. If I'm gonna deal with 5 to 7 people I better be getting paid better than xl rates

5. Cableguynoe

Cableguynoe Well-Known Member

I've had the same crap happen. I have a 12 Pilot.

Sometimes for XL pickups I pull seat forward prior to arriving. Often even if they're not climbing over, they struggle with finding the right lever and fold the seat instead of sliding it forward.

On another note, my Pilot has a total of 8 seatbelts, including the drivers. Is that what yours has?

Donshonda likes this.
  6. tohunt4me

tohunt4me Well-Known Member

Get out and adjust seat for them to enter.

Mechanisms differ from different makes and models.

It is unrealistic to expext drunken pax to know how to operate each vehicles hardware.

DO IT FOR THEM
    OR DONT COMPLAIN.

A 16 passenger van would be SO MUCH EASIER.

Tr4vis Ka1anick and kc ub'ing! like this.
  7. Donshonda

Driving:
    UberXL
    Yes... I have 8... 7 plus me ;) Same as you my friend

Cableguynoe likes this.
  8. Iann

Iann Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    How do you fit 7 pax with only 7 seatbelts in your car?
    Xl is ONLY 6 pax. Where does the driver sit? On the roof?

9. Cableguynoe

Pilot's have 8 seatbelts.
    I can fit 7 pax.

Shisho and reg barclay like this.
  10. Iann

Iann Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    I see.
    This must be why I get DBags Pax that try and argue Plus/Xl fit 7 passengers.

Doughie likes this.
  11. RideshareGentrification

Driving:
    UberPREMIUM
    Yeah I turn down 7pax rides all the time , I only take them if they're componsating me extra .

Honestly most of my XL rides are 1-4 people .

Doughie, Rakos and Iann like this.
  12. Iann

Iann Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    Do you then request suv price after trip is over like we do when pax try to sneak a extra in for base fare?

13. RideshareGentrification

Driving:
    UberPREMIUM
    You can't do that

SUV is still only meant for up to 6 pax . There are lots of cars that can fit 7pax but Uber says right there up to 6 people .
    Like I mentioned before I will only add the extra pax if they are componsating me extra after I tell them they need to order a 2nd Uber or if it's a Lyft Lux Suv ride . (I don't do UberBlack SUV)

Iann likes this.
  14. Cableguynoe

Would be nice if we got some kind of extra compensation.
    It's pretty often that I get groups of 7.

15. Rat

Rat Well-Known Member

Take pictures, request damage fee.

16. RideshareGentrification

Driving:
    UberPREMIUM
    Right ? Taxis add a charge for every pax it would be nice if Uber did the same thing .

That's why I simply say I can't take you and usually they'll say they'll pay me extra , if they can supply the cash up front I do it . If not I cancel because even if they're willing to order another Uber they're gonna ding me on my rating for not allowing the extra person . I haven't had any negative ratings from taking a 7pax group they usually are pretty thankfull . However I don't work nights so that could help

17. jaystonepk

jaystonepk Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    I once had a college bro try to tell me XL is for 6-8 passengers, and then proceed to argue with me for 1 minute when I said it wasn't. There were 8 people in their group. I didn't take that ride.

I'd have moved the seat up before they arrived knowing that was a prime drunk hour pickup. It's easy enough for me to turn around and tell them to lift handle, then tilt and slide the seat forward. Most figure it out, some dolts don't. Sometimes they fold the seat all the way down and complain about the difficulty getting in. Well if they'd have waited 3 seconds and listened instead of trying to superman their way in the 3rd row it would have been much easier for you. I also leave the doors locked until someone approaches and I can confirm their name and passenger count.

Rakos and Donshonda like this.
  18. Donshonda

Driving:
    UberXL
    My market only has Uber X and XL platforms. I couldn't upgrade even if I wanted to.

On a side note? Why would I ask to be compensated for the 7th rider, when my vehicle accommodates 7 passengers?? (plus me of course)... I think that's kinda ridiculous and petty. They already did the right thing and ordered an XL... which is the biggest car they can get in our market. All I cared about was them not climbing all over my leather like a 4 year old....

Cableguynoe likes this.
  19. oldfart

oldfart Active Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    I hasnt yet figured out how to handle this

I generally travel with the third row down until I need it. From now on when I get an xl request I’ll call or text first to know how many passengers. I’ll either get the seats in position before I arrive. Or keep the doors locked until i can do it for them

That solves the pick up but at the end of the ride, even when I tell them to wait for me to deal with the seats they start climbing over

Rakos likes this.
  20. Snowblind

Snowblind Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Hm, the obvious answer is invest in some Seat Covers. Because, NEWSFLASH! It will happen again. And the next Time your expensive Leather Seats may not withstand the puncture of a 7 inch Heel.
    For all Seats, it may cost you around $300-$400 for some good quality Covers, but is still cheaper in the long run.
    Also is better when it comes to sell the Car, with better looking Seats.
    Just my 2 cents.