1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

WTF? Uber will no pay my Ticket for picking PAX at the shore. BEWARE

Discussion in 'New Jersey' started by Joe Capola, Sep 10, 2015.

1. Joe Capola

Joe Capola

Ok let me start off by saying I definitely let my guard down and went against my better judgement and received a ticket NJ 39:4-56 "Delaying Traffic" while picking up a Pax in front of the Osprey in Manasquan. Here's what happened. I have a great rating. I'm in the top 10% after way over 1000 rides. I was driving on the weekends in Belmar, Manasquan, and the Point doing Club Pax. As much as I want to staying away from the Parker house, Manasquan etc Everytime I got a long ride from one end of the shore to the other you pass through these towns and unless you turn off your app you get a ping at one of these places. So I go. Knowing all the issues with police I was requesting riders meet me 2 blocks away or behind their bar location in a parking lot and their crying about it. I was trying to park legally but even 2 blocks away there are no legal parking spots. Then I start to watch my ratings go down. Then I make a decision to hide my phone, request they sit in the front seat and try to pickup a little closer. I was there literally 2 seconds, I did not park, I was merely trying to pick up a Pax and bingo a cop walks over and I get a $54 ticket. I know it's only $54 but it's not like Im making more than a minimum wage and why should I have to pay when the Uber app is negligent for allowing a request to go through when there is no legal way place to park anywhere near these places. If I cancel they deactivate me. If I ask the pax to meet me 2 blocks away they rate me low and I get deactivate me. This is why Uber Drivers hate Uber. They are not Fair to drivers. I fully explained this parking situation to Uber and here is what they email me:

"I’m really sorry to hear about the citation.

Because our partners are independent contractors, we cannot assist with the payment or fees associated with a moving, parking, or similar violations."

Am I doing something wrong? Should Uber pay my Ticket?

Casuale Haberdasher likes this.
  2. Lepke

Lepke

Driving:
    UberXL
    If you don't know how to handle uber, it's time to quit. they know all about the harassment in Manasquan and routinely pay those tickets. you should have try to handle this immediately and if you did not get the response you wanted you should have asked to take it to the next level.

3. CommanderXL

CommanderXL

Driving:
    UberXL
    Sorry, but Uber will only pay a ticket you might get for being an Uber driver, not for any traffic or parking violations you get while driving. Which kind of makes sense, since it is entirely up to YOU to follow all traffic laws or be responsible for the consequences - even if Ubers GPS tells you to go the wrong way on a one-way street.

4. itrnl710

itrnl710

I've been driving for uber for 16 months. I have never received a ticket. Knock on wood. But my suggestion to you, if it doesn't look or feel right don't do it. If you can't obey traffic laws, cancel trip. I've done 3000+ trips 4.9 rating. I always explain to pax that some townships along the shore have issues with uber and they completely understand and if they don't and give me a low rating, at this point, it really doesn't affect me. The more you drive, the less a pax rating can hurt you. Go to clerkshq and click on township and type taxi in search bar and you find out taxi laws for the townships. That should help you avoid tickets in the future.

tkgunn and Casuale Haberdasher like this.
  5. Lepke

Lepke

Driving:
    UberXL
    Sorry, but you don't know what you're talking about. These "blocking traffic" tickets are a method of harassment for uber drivers on the shore and uber promptly deposits the money in your account to pay them. They know all about it and even know how much the fine is without having to tell them.

6. CommanderXL

CommanderXL

Driving:
    UberXL
    If that were always true, this post wouldn't exist. In any case, Uber will not get a moving violation taken off your driving record so it is always better to avoid citations and obey the traffic laws, even if Uber's app tells you otherwise.

7. Joe Capola

Joe Capola

[QUOTE="itrnl710, post: 462603, member: 16918 , if it doesn't look or feel right don't do it. If you can't obey traffic laws, cancel trip. I've done 3000+ trips 4.9 rating. I always explain to pax that some townships along the shore have issues with uber and they completely understand and if they don't and give me a low rating, at this point, it really doesn't affect me.

I guess you don't do airports because the airport is illegal. I also assume you do not work the jersey shore or the Giants stadium or Hoboken or any train stations or ask your Pax to walk 3 blocks away from most of the niteclubs at the shore like Jenks and in Manasquan. Do you tell your Pax to meet you outside the airport? Or how about Giants stadium or any Fireworks displays or big events? Lets just say you've been LUCKY! I was LUCKY for over 1000 rides too. My question is why should we have to depend on luck when it comes to tickets?

The way I see it I pay a lot of money to Uber for their app. When this app is not working properly why should I have to pay a ticket on top of it. The app should let Pax know they have to order from a legal and parking accessible location or they should pay a cancellation fee. Why doe Uber put drivers in an illegal position? If they want to continue doing this then they should pay all these types of tickets. It's only Fair!

Lina and Casuale Haberdasher like this.
  8. Joe Capola

Joe Capola

You are so right Lepke. Also how about when the police pull you over and instead of slapping you with $1,000 in tickets they do you a favor and write you up for a small lesser fine ticket like a license plate or one that is not cover by Uber. Lets face we are getting summons for conducting business for Uber. These types of tickets should all be paid. If I speed or make an illegal turn or park in a handicap spot I understand I am responsible for those but not for picking up a passenger at location that Uber sends me and there no way to pick them them up???? Insane!!!

9. TwoFiddyMile

TwoFiddyMile

Driving:
    Taxi
    ICs pay our own tickets.
    You sir are a poseur.

10. CommanderXL

CommanderXL

Driving:
    UberXL
    Yes, they absolutely should. But what's really wrong here is that Uber has made drivers feel like the only choice is to do these type of things and be subjected to the hassles and expenses of citations and fines that they may or not reimburse you for, or else be deactivated for whatever reason. Smh

11. NJDriver

NJDriver

I got a $54 ticket at the airport for obscure plates and they paid it. You handled it wrong with the email. You should have said the police officer went into a long speech about not Ubering in Manasaquan and he told you since you were honest about the situation they would only write you for delaying traffic instead of other tickets for thousands of dollars and to never come back again. Just request a supervisor at Uber to review the matter. If you just told them they wrote you for delaying traffic they will not be paying. If you explained it like I did they would pay it. Now it might be too late.

If you push it they will send it to their lawyer who will hand down the decision.

gmc, Casuale Haberdasher and Lepke like this.
  12. Lepke

Lepke

Driving:
    UberXL
    I know 4 "four" drivers who were issued "blocking traffic" citations. 3 at Osprey/Leggetts and 1 at Parker House. All 4 were reimbursed promptly by uber. You just got a bad CSR on your first email. in most cases Uber does not reimburse for this type of citation but in Manasquan, Sea Girt and Belmar they do.

13. You made the decision to use the Uber app knowing full well the problems in NJ and particularly the shore area and you still took the chance. You have to be some kind of a moron to think the Uber app is going to know about the parking situation in any given area. Uber is not going to pay that ticket. They will pay any ticket having to do with picking up or dropping off, licenses, permits to operate etc, etc, but they are not going to pay traffic/parking fines. I received 2 tickets at the same time in Belmar. First ticket was for taking on passengers, Uber paid it. Other ticket was for delaying traffic. Uber did not pay. I was on a one way street, cars on both sides, no where to park, stopped to pick up 6 guys that were taking forever to round up, cop was like 3 cars behind me. He wrote me the tickets, knew I was Uber, cut me a break by not writing more serious violations and then said now go take your fare. Now is Uber supposed to know I was on a one way street with no parking? It doesn't matter what story you tell them, they see the ticket and the violation and they will not pay traffic fines. You have to take some personal responsibility for your own actions or lack there of. The logic that the Uber app sent you there, and its their fault, is ridiculous. Its like saying the Uber GPS sent me over a cliff so its not my fault. You are the driver driving your own car, you even said you took precautions to not get caught by the cops meaning you knew you shouldn't be there, you knew there was a chance you were gonna get a ticket and then you get a ticket and ***** about it like its some big surprise? LOL

TwoFiddyMile likes this.
  14. Yup you need to say in the e-mail ” Then the officer asked me if I was Uber”

15. Alex12

Alex12

Driving:
    UberX
    If I cancel Uber will deactivate me!!!!!! Wtf. We all cancel big time and we are still valued partners!!!! To be in the first 10% partners is nothing. You don t get pays more. Just cancel what you don t like and move to the next one. We need to make money now because I have a felling that soon TNC will be regulated in NJ. Hope this winter we can still make nice surge in the morning. Uber on. Pax cancel all the time, why we should not. F..k that