• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

WTF is the cancellation policy?

Cou-ber

ok-so I've emailed support about 2 separate cancellations and have received totally different and contradictory information about how they are assessed but both times been assured the system automatically applies the fees and I don't have to do anything else. How very reassuring. The first I was willing to accept as I accepted the trip and was en route when the pax cancelled. Was told it had been under 5 minutes since the request and, fair enough, I can accept this. The second though was this: I accept the request, travel to the destination, wait for the rider a minute or so, message rider to give my location and wait another minute, call the rider and he tells me uh-oh yah sorry I don't need it anymore and hangs up. I message rider again to please cancel the request as I can't receive any pings until he does. Wait a minute or so more. (Incidentally, I am in the Men's Club parking lot at 2:09 am on a Sunday morning.) no cancellation. So I finally cancel and hit the reason "cancelled at rider's request." I am not given the cancellation fee. The reason this time? Cancelled under 5 minutes of my arrival. I am in my 5th email exchange with uber over $6 flipping dollars and now it's principle.

5 minutes from pax request or 5 minutes from my arrival? Which is it? This is bullshit.

mausibaer

5 minutes from arrival.

Get on site--hit the arrived button--start your clock. I only reach out to pax if it's a crowded area and I need to tell them where I've pulled over. But if it's an obvious situation that doesn't require the call/text---Cancel for No Show and move on. A pax can't request you to cancel if you don't give them the opportunity. If they do it themselves after the 5 minute barrier you still get paid.

We all learned this the hard way. It's not rude or ruthless. Your time is too valuable and slow & inconsiderate pax are taking money out of your pocket. Be fair to yourself before anyone else.

Bukrub

I don't even call anymore. I arrive on scene, send a text that I'm there and start my stop watch. At 5 minutes I leave and log as rider no show. I immediately look and see if I was paid. If not I email support and ask for payment. They have paid me every time. It use to be automatic but for the last week none of them have been. I had 4 no shows Friday night. Had to send an email for every one. On the last email I asked why I must email every time. They said they were aware of the problem and was working on it. Bullshit, but whatever as long as I'm paid. Wait the 5 minutes and send an email and you should be golden.

Cou-ber

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hi Amanda,

So sorry for the inconvenience.

I've checked the trip and it shows that you arrived at 7:15:18 am and you cancelled the trip at 7:16:50 am.

For your future reference, please find below details regarding Uber’s cancellation policy. The cancellation fee is automatically added to the fare for as long as you:

• are on-time
  • waited more than 5 minutes at the pick up location (if you already "Arrived")
  • were driving for more than 5 minutes to the pick up location (if you haven't "Arrived" yet)
All cancellation fees are automatically applied by the system, so you do not need to take any extra steps.

Hope this information helps and please let me know if you have any questions, I'd be happy to help.

Erik

****just got this. Now nevermind that I had previously supplied the trip id number and never mind that I have NEVER even been on the clock at 7am-ish EVER, I just need to know what the flipping policy is!!!!

Cou-ber

further--what is "arrive on time"? Is that arrive by the estimate of the uber navigation?

Cou-ber

I don't even call anymore. I arrive on scene, send a text that I'm there and start my stop watch. At 5 minutes I leave and log as rider no show. I immediately look and see if I was paid. If not I email support and ask for payment. They have paid me every time. It use to be automatic but for the last week none of them have been. I had 4 no shows Friday night. Had to send an email for every one. On the last email I asked why I must email every time. They said they were aware of the problem and was working on it. Bullshit, but whatever as long as I'm paid. Wait the 5 minutes and send an email and you should be golden.
But it was the pax who should have cancelled, not me. I had to in order to get other requests. From his request to my forced cancellation, well WELL over 5 minutes had passed...

Bukrub

If he cancels its 5 minutes after request. If you cancel its 5 minutes after arrival. Don't you know not to question the Uber? LOL

tripAces

Ok so you had no idea really how the 5min rule works.
So next time 4 more mins would of got you $6.

I had pay outs the way Uber describe. I made $6 off the same guy back to back. He never showed but did speak to him. He was laughing and obviously drunk. So $12 in my pocket. Waited 6mins each time. 2nd time was annoying but got paid.
The other was a 20min ping. I got 3mins from the pickup and the pax canceled. Got paid for the cancel. It only took me 10mins to get near. Had open highway and green lights luckily. Was late at night.

The best cancel I had was my first pax. Got to location. He walked out said he was sorry and he needed to cancel. His wife wanted to party more. So he threw me a twenty and I canceled per rider. I really had no clue how the cancel worked so was surprise I got paid.
After that I got on this forum and learned all I could. And still am.

Cou-ber

I had pay outs the way Uber describe. I made $6 off the same guy back to back. He never showed but did speak to him. He was laughing and obviously drunk. So $12 in my pocket. Waited 6mins each time. 2nd time was annoying but got paid.
The other was a 20min ping. I got 3mins from the pickup and the pax canceled. Got paid for the cancel. It only took me 10mins to get near. Had open highway and green lights luckily. Was late at night.

The best cancel I had was my first pax. Got to location. He walked out said he was sorry and he needed to cancel. His wife wanted to party more. So he threw me a twenty and I canceled per rider. I really had no clue how the cancel worked so was surprise I got paid.
Ok so that's more or less what happened to me. So why didn't I get the fee?

tripAces

Ok so that's more or less what happened to me. So why didn't I get the fee?
Do to you didn't wait 5mins after arriving to cancel. It sounded like you got there within 5mins probably. If not then hit them with that. Lmao.
I know it sounds like the guy that gave me a twenty when he canceled came out right away. But I drove 12mins to his location. Then had to wait for him to come out a couple of minutes. I could've been there 5mins before I hit cancel per rider. But was my first pax so was many riders ago..

Cou-ber

The policy is simple...

Tap arrive, wait 5 min, mash it, cancel.
Ummm I don't even tap arrive. The app knows when I have arrived and when I e gone to tap it it already shows as "rider has been contacted..."

Cou-ber

Here's the thing---that letter from Erik I cut and pasted, references a trip I did not do. The 7:16 am crap is NOT my ride. What uber is doing is resetting the stop watch for the pax to allow him to cancel within 5 minutes of my arrival without penalty. THIS IS MY ISSUE!!! this is not acceptable.

Cou-ber

Do to you didn't wait 5mins after arriving to cancel. It sounded like you got there within 5mins probably. If not then hit them with that. Lmao.
I know it sounds like the guy that gave me a twenty when he canceled came out right away. But I drove 12mins to his location. Then had to wait for him to come out a couple of minutes. I could've been there 5mins before I hit cancel per rider. But was my first pax so was many riders ago..
AND--I had to cancel for him because he wouldn't respond to my efforts to get him to cancel cuz he was totally wasted and at a titty bar. I hit the reason as "at rider request" when I finally decided to cancel it so I could take another ping....uggggg

CommanderXL

It looks like in your case you didn't get the cancellation fee because you selected "cancel at rider request" or whatever it is. If you would have selected "rider no show" (or whatever it is) you would have gotten paid. I think there is also "do not charge rider," which you don't get paid, and "other," which I think you do get paid for. It doesn't make sense that "cancel at rider request" doesn't pay, it seems like it should no matter when you selected it, as long as it was more than five minutes after they requested the ride. I guess the lesson is to select "rider no show" in those cases.

But always email support after. I had 2 cancels recently and after showing up as $0 I emailed support by selecting "I had a serious concern about the rider" (since I don't know where else it would fit) for each trip and explained that I was due the cancel fee, which they corrected.

Fuzzyelvis

It looks like in your case you didn't get the cancellation fee because you selected "cancel at rider request" or whatever it is. If you would have selected "rider no show" (or whatever it is) you would have gotten paid. I think there is also "do not charge rider," which you don't get paid, and "other," which I think you do get paid for. It doesn't make sense that "cancel at rider request" doesn't pay, it seems like it should no matter when you selected it, as long as it was more than five minutes after they requested the ride. I guess the lesson is to select "rider no show" in those cases.

But always email support after. I had 2 cancels recently and after showing up as $0 I emailed support by selecting "I had a serious concern about the rider" (since I don't know where else it would fit) for each trip and explained that I was due the cancel fee, which they corrected.
I have canceled at rider request after being there 5 mins and had to email. But I did get paid eventually. I always send the trip ID right away btw.

Since they are referencing the wrong trip I would email back with the trip ID AGAIN and point out they are looking at the WRONG trip.

If you are there 5 mins and use rider requested cancel you should get paid but the system usually doesn't do it as automatically as no show. Although I've had to email about a few of those (3 in one night) before.

tripAces

Its the other way around. "Other" is a no pay. I just did one today.
Cancel per rider does pay at least the last time I did one which was couple wks ago.

Fuzzyelvis

Its the other way around. "Other" is a no pay. I just did one today.
Cancel per rider does pay at least the last time I did one which was couple wks ago.
Other is definitely a no pay. I pretty much use no show as much as possible.

Does anyone know if the "over capacity" pays?