Wrong Uber/Lyft

UberPete1911

More like a predator out for some fun. Tragedy here is that an innocent life was taken and could have been avoided.

She was probably drunk so didn't really check or it was too late as she got in and realized.

RIP.

PorkRollUberAndCheese

Cash ride, maybe?

RIP

I wouldn't be surprised if this guy was a former Uber driver or knew what to look for when setting this up.

The worst part about this? The legit Uber driver got a cancellation fee out of this and doesn't even realize it was the last transaction this woman ever made.

Also, the victim is from Robbinsville, which is near Hamilton and Trenton.

DevilShoez

And as always, Uber/Lyft will take the hit on this. It's not about Uber/Lyft, it's about irresponsible people.

Yes, it's sad a woman is dead. The real focus here should be about the predator driving the car. In the coming days I bet anything we will be reading articles about this guy being one of those "fake Uber/Lyft drivers" looking for victims. As now he is the only one who knows what really happened.

NJKing

And as always, Uber/Lyft will take the hit on this. It's not about Uber/Lyft, it's about irresponsible people.

Yes, it's sad a woman is dead. The real focus here should be about the predator driving the car. In the coming days I bet anything we will be reading articles about this guy being one of those "fake Uber/Lyft drivers" looking for victims. As now he is the only one who knows what really happened.
This is why more strict screening of drivers is needed. When I signed up, a car, valid license, registration, insurance and social security number was it. At least add fingerprints, deep criminal background check and random drug test for safety of pax. I do part time for both but our family including me use uber/lyft too and I would be happy if the states/companies enforce this as a driver and a rider.

As of last month, my wife just straight out refuse to step into another rideshare car. First ever ride went sour as driver took cash from her as my card was charged. And last straw was creepy 30 something old driver with bloodshot eyes that tried to pass a semi going 90+ mph on rt80 with loud music had her opt out of ridesharing alone or with kids forever.

SuzeCB

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
He wasn't a driver, but she thought he was. He's been arrested.

PorkRollUberAndCheese

This is why more strict screening of drivers is needed. When I signed up, a car, valid license, registration, insurance and social security number was it. At least add fingerprints, deep criminal background check and random drug test for safety of pax. I do part time for both but our family including me use uber/lyft too and I would be happy if the states/companies enforce this as a driver and a rider.

As of last month, my wife just straight out refuse to step into another rideshare car. First ever ride went sour as driver took cash from her as my card was charged. And last straw was creepy 30 something old driver with bloodshot eyes that tried to pass a semi going 90+ mph on rt80 with loud music had her opt out of ridesharing alone or with kids forever.
Everything you are talking about here would not have stopped the girl from being murdered. The guy either posed as an Uber driver and/or offered her a cash ride and wasn't the car/driver she ordered.

bobby747

i heard a few weeks ago guy was caught in CC phila...a good quality female pax i had before me says police were searching this guy. and caught him 2 weeks ago..
his story was he would follow us. see who got in car woman. and follow us and rape or molest them...he was caught. i work here and never heard of it.. the lady was a good source and no reason to lie. uber vip..even looked at my plates. i beleive her. that god he was caught..also he had 5 to 7 victims

nickd8775

Uber shouldn't even be involved with this. A girl made a bad decision. People get in the wrong car every day. Most of the time it results in them paying the fare in cash to the driver. Some people intentionally get in the wrong car because they're trying to steal a ride from someone else.

bobby747

they always try drink at wells fargo , most want to go to cc or another club at septa prices..yo uber take me to irish pub..i will give you $8..
i really want to but this customers coming now he is paying $30. ask the taxi cabs they will do it.
i would if these 6 people were not coming...shuts them up even drunk

ZepFan

Obvious this guy was trolling around looking for a vulnerable girl and he found her. Very, very sad.

Mysanthropic_Motorist

Everything you are talking about here would not have stopped the girl from being murdered. The guy either posed as an Uber driver and/or offered her a cash ride and wasn't the car/driver she ordered.
This, and if Rideshare companies required fingerprinting and a REAL background check.....they’d lose a MAJORITY of the drivers....and they know this...which is precisely why they don’t do them.

Fernando-R

When we were kids our parents will tell us not to talk to strangers, not to get into a car with strangers.... now technology opens the way to both those things like is nothing and parents have surrendered complete control of that. Like for example when parents call for a Uber or Lyft to have their kids (minors) be transported to school, friends house, etc. They think that because they can see the little car moving on the screen they have supervision and control, it’s all an illusion. They are willingly putting kids inside a car with a complete stranger.
I know this lady was a young adult and the example above don’t apply but I hope you understand where I’m going with this. The murderer obviously is the bad one in the story, but this kids nowadays are putting themselves in very vulnerable situations where things can go horribly wrong. If you know you are going to be drinking you should plan in going home together with one of your friends, share the ride, have the app do multiple stops dropping you and your friends. This girl’s friends dropped the ball letting her be by herself, the girl herself dropped the ball by not confirming she was getting in the right car or seeing in the app if trip was started or try to use the “share” feature which alllows friends to follow your location, then when real driver cancel trip for no show I’m sure she got the cancellation notification, etc. This girl unfortunately put herself in a very vulnerable position and nowadays in this world you cannot do that anymore, and is not being sexist, it applies for girls and guys, the time when you could leave the doors unlocked are long over.

LüberInLyft

This, and if Rideshare companies required fingerprinting and a REAL background check.....they’d lose a MAJORITY of the drivers....and they know this...which is precisely why they don’t do them.
Like someone said this guy was probably once a driver. Had they done better screening he would never have known where to go. "Opportunity Nearby" says Uber. For what? To rape and murder?

SuzeCB

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
At this system of the game, he wouldn't have had to have been a driver to know how things work. Two or three rides as a passenger with some key questions to the drivers would have been enough.

"Are you Uber here for Samantha?"

"Yes."

And she would have gotten into the car.

She should have asked better questions (like many drivers on here should), that didn't give him the answers. She didn't deserve to be killed and who knows what else, though. I'm not blaming the victim. He was the monster in the dark, the shadows. The one every woman listens for when she walks in a parking garage. The one a tipsy young woman thinks she avoided and has found a haven from when she climbs into her Uber, or what she thinks is her Uber.

Now, let us consider the commercials we've all seen that Uber has put out there. Every single one shows the pax just hopping in the car and happily going. Never have they shown the pax giving their name and getting the driver's.

Not once.

Ride-Share-Risk-Manager

I hope that better controls on minors riding alone in Ubers and Lyfts will come put of this tragedy and become a focus of politicians who can outlaw it and control it.

ToughTommy

As a father of a daughter close to her age and an avid observer of news and life this is sadly another story of a deranged person killing someone . I got into an argument with a woman in my office about this and I found myself blending my experience as a driver and a father who worries about the randomness of meeting a evil person with bad intent. My take away is this
The story as I read was that girl got into same model car with murderer as the foober. She made her fatal error by not checking license plate. For that I feel awful that one thing could have changed the trajectory. Having seen a picture of the dude he looked like a scary dude straight out of being released from Rahway. I’m hoping more people would have said not getting in the car with this guy. My daughter asked me to take karate Kyokshin which is Japanese combat style and very brutal and arguably the most difficult but anyway if you have a daughter get her to take martial arts get her a pepper spray for her key chain to give her a chance. Bad story all around and welcome more background screens and fingerprinting