Wrong rider

burtonwinter

I accidently picked up the wrong rider but i refunded their fare. I know this is a clueless mistake but just wondering if this will effect my account?

Last edited:

jhearcht

I accidently picked up the wrong rider but i refunded their fare. I know this is a clueless mistake but just wondering if this will effect my account?
It doesn't happen often, but sometimes it's unavoidable. I recently arrived at a regular restaurant pick-up point, and a guy immediately hopped in the front seat, and started giving me directions. I normally say my name and the name of the pax to confirm it's my ride. But this time I started driving as he talked, and after a couple of blocks realized he wasn't going to the destination on the app. About that time I got a call from the correct passenger, apologized, and asked him to cancel the ride.

Unfortunately, the guy in my car wouldn't cancel and request a new ride to get his destination on my phone. Apparently he thought he'd get double-charged. Anyway, I took him home, and discussed a cash payment. He declined, so I got nothing for that trip. All I can say is, verify the pax name & destination, before starting the ride -- if you can get a word in edgewise. :unsure:

burtonwinter

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It doesn't happen often, but sometimes it's unavoidable. I recently arrived at a regular restaurant pick-up point, and a guy immediately hopped in the front seat, and started giving me directions. I normally say my name and the name of the pax to confirm it's my ride. But this time I started driving as he talked, and after a couple of blocks realized he wasn't going to the destination on the app. About that time I got a call from the correct passenger, apologized, and asked him to cancel the ride.

Unfortunately, the guy in my car wouldn't cancel and request a new ride to get his destination on my phone. Apparently he thought he'd get double-charged. Anyway, I took him home, and discussed a cash payment. He declined, so I got nothing for that trip. All I can say is, verify the pax name & destination, before starting the ride -- if you can get a word in edgewise. :unsure:

thats pretty much the same situation that happened to me lol. glad i'm not the only person who has gone through this?

Pax Collector

Mistake #1: Not keeping your doors locked.

Mistake #2: Starting the trip without confirming the name and destination.

Mistake #3: Not kicking him to the curb as soon as you realized mistakes 1 and 2.

I hope we all learned something here.

Fuzzyelvis

Of course it's unavoidable.

Oh, and grow a pair? Seriously, you're gonna drive someone around for free?

amazinghl

Only problem I have is I can’t roll down my passenger windows from my drives seat... who know a 2017 would still come with crank windows ?
I no issue reaching over and use the crank on the passenger side windows on my Dodge Omni.
Do you have short arms or back issue preventing you to reach over?

Uber Crack

Author
Years ago, when I was a noob :p...

I picked up a woman at a club. I also usually ask but she was so precise about seeing me, checking her phone and climbing in that I didn't give it a thought.
My phone rang so I answered. It was woman 2 on speaker, "I just saw another woman get into your car but you're MY uber. You're MY uber!"

My pax checked her phone and said, "no, look I have you." Well it wasn't me, it was a lyft! :eek:. Of course, she wanted me to keep driving her home. I said, "sorry I must take you back to the club so you can go with the right driver."
I told the pax on speaker to wait there, we are coming back. (It was only a few blocks).

When I got there, there was another white Prius identical model with a female driver who looked like my twin! :geek: We both just stared at each other :geek: I thought I was in the Twilight Zone. I always check since then.

NvrBlu

A 2017 Chevy Sonic LS doesn't have power windows? :eek:
Nope... base as can be. But does have Bluetooth and back up camera :wink:

I no issue reaching over and use the crank on the passenger side windows on my Dodge Omni.
Do you have short arms or back issue preventing you to reach over?
Yep... I have little t-Rex arms... I actually have to put the car in park to reach over and then its still hard for me to reach!! And if I put the car in park, it unlocks all the doors LOL!

Kurt Halfyard

Author
I had a strange situation happen nearly a year ago. There was a language barrier involved. I get a ping to a strip mall, 2am in the suburbs, and 3 guys get in, with a fourth straggler jogging towards the car. I ask name and confirm destination.

Off we go, but it isn't more than 1km towards highway, and one of the guys (in the front) starts tapping my shoulder and saying, "Go right. Go right!"
I tell him that we are going to the highway, as the ride is in Brampton (North East of Mississauga, Ontario).
He and two guys in the back start getting really excited in another language.
There is a fallout in communication. I cannot tell if they understood that they need to add a stop.
I stop the car, and say, "You'll have to put in a stop if you want me to go in another direction."
They get really excited again, chaos ensues. People speaking Urdu or Hindi, possibly Telugu, and some broken English.
Eventually, they manage to communicate it is 2 streets over, but more or less on the way.
Because of all the miscommunication and I cannot see or control what the other guys are doing in the back, I drive the 1km south.
Three of the four guys get out.
The 4th guy, who confirmed his name and address asks me, "Who were those guys?"
Me: "I thought they were with you?"
Him: "No, I was just coming from work. Maybe they are the guys are cooks in the restaurant next door."
Me: "Oh my. I'm sorry, you just subsidized those guys' ride on the way home, I really thought you were all together....If you call LYFT, I'm sure they will refund your money, and you'll get a ride home."
Him: "No problem"

Me feeling pretty embarassed and chatty, it turns out to be a pretty good ride after that chaos. PAX even tips $4. Not sure if he got his refund or not.

It was also weird that he never spoke up. He knew he ordered a regular LYFT, not a pool, so why tolerate these chatty excited other guys. I am surprised he never spoke up, but I was too embarassed to ask, thinking it would look like I was attemption shifting blame (when it was 100% my fault) to him.

This remains the only time I have picked up the wrong rider.
Now, I ask, when a large group gets in the car, "You are all together?" And it has actually worked, as I had another gas station pick up in a different part of town that might have gone the same way, but they quickly sorted it that it was not their 'shared' and that the other rider was going solo.

COMMUNICATION. COMMUNICATION. COMMUNICATION.

mi4johns

Only once & it was the perfect storm:

Older Asian lady waiting on the curb at Walmart jumps in my car who looks just like the profile pic so no worries there. I confirm the name & destination but apparently she doesn't speak English & just nods.

2 mins later my actual pax calls..."Oh shit, after 2 years & 6,000 rides it finally happened to me"

25rides7daysaweek

after a couple blocks you realized you had the wrong guy in the car. Then you drove them home anyway?