1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Wow. Best Riders EVER. I Take Back Everything I've Said About Uber Till Now

Discussion in 'Stories' started by SharedRideTruther, Sep 12, 2015.

1. SharedRideTruther

SharedRideTruther Active Member

Driving:
    UberPLUS
    So, I am heading home down I-77 from an 'ok' Uber nite in Charlotte NC, 2:30 a.m., and forget I have the app on after my last fare.

I am rarely out driving Uber this late near Charlotte due to the drunk knuckleheads who abuse you, and then rate you badly, but I had 2 good airport runs back to back, so I'm in the general area.

I get pinged from an apartment building known for the 'youngster crowd' near Charlotte City Center.

The app says I'm 16 minutes away, and I have to decide quickly what move to make, since the count down is beeping, but, I FEEL this is gonna be worth it, so I accept.

I turn around at the next exit, and drive to the quasi upscale apartment building in my XL platform, knowing full well this is probably some young kids, 'surfing' their alcohol and 420 buzz after a late nite of the center city lifestyle.

As I pull up (full well expecting to have to wait 4-5 minutes (or more) for the 'blessing' of their presence), I see 5 young folks standing by the curb, chatting and checking their phones.

3 have drink cups in their hands, so I think, "wow, here we go, gotta piss 'em off and tell them to put their drinks down before climbing in".

As I pull up, I roll the passenger window down and confirm the riders name, and 'Don' says right away, "we are not bringing anything into your car, don't worry", and the ones holding the drinks drop them in the trash can on the curb.

Don doesn't give me a chance to say anything, and continues "this is all of us, and I put the destination in already".

I haven't had a chance to look at that yet, due to them being outside waiting when I arrived, so I look at my app and I see they are going to Dilworth, which actually makes me grimace inside, because that's a short trip this time of nite, and with no surge, I figure I just wasted a 16 minute 1 way ride for a very cheap fare.

Don must read my mind, and says "don't worry bro, we will tip you well, we know it's a short ride, and I saw how far away you were and you turned around, which we appreciate".

Don actually opens the doors for his 'squad', and loads everybody in, and one of his friends start climbing over the back van seat versus sliding it forward, and Don smacks him on the head and tells him to "act right or you're walking home".

Don takes shotgun, and we pull away, and the same dude he just smacked starts chanting "turn the music up!"

Don tells the dude sitting next to 'smack boy' to smack him again, and shut him up.

Dude does as told.

Smack boy quiets down, completely.

Don starts to chat about where they've been (birthday party for a girl he knows), and Don actually tells me "I know you probably hate dealing with us younger folks this time of night from what I hear from other Uber drivers, and I can relate man, since I see some of the idiots after just a few drinks".

Don then changes course on me psychologically and says "can we stop at Burger King quick if I throw you more of a tip, bro?"

Keep in mind, I still don't know what the 'base line tip offer amount' was, so I don't really know if 1) I'm really even going to get a tip (can't argue with the lie either, if it doesn't happen, due to ratings) 2) I don't know if it will be more than what he had in mind to start, so I'm thinking I'm getting played.

Don, the mind reader again, says I was gonna toss you a $30 for the tip anyway, since I know its a short one, so we will toss you $40 and call it even if you will stop for us, ok?"

I feel like I'm in a dream somehow at this point, like it's too good to be true.

I tell Don, he sounds legit, so no worries, as I head down the street to Burger King.

The ride gets even crazier once we pull up to order, as Don leans over me a bit to talk to the drive thru speaker, and he rattles off the order, taking very little input from his 'squad', but getting something for all of them.

The dream becomes a bit more surreal as Don says he's "getting me a chicken sandwich and a burger, with a coke, and I can eat them both, either, or neither", but the order has been placed already as he says this, so their is no saying 'no', so I just say thank you.

As we pull up to the window to get the order and pay, Don tells me he's holding all the drinks in a drink tray until we get them home, and he looks to the back of the van and tells everyone "you guys cant eat a f**kin' fry before we get home, cause we are not ruining this guys van or night".

His statement has a very soft affect on his 'squad', since it isn't so much an order as it is a direction from someone they trust, kinda like a dog responding to its owner.

Everyone says 'ok', and there is no more discussion about it, or arguments.

The lady hands us the order, Don and I put our drinks in the holders in front of us, and he puts the drink tray holding the other 4 drinks at his feet, bracketed and secure.

Don passes the food bags back, but reminds them all of his directions, while telling me "we are gonna be cool, bro, you're a good dude for picking us up this late"

Don puts my order next to my seat on the floor, and says "here's yours bro, and I appreciate you getting us home safe"

I again, simply say "thanks".

After a few short minutes we pull up to their place, and I put it in park and say "let me get the doors, fellas".

Don stops me, and says "no bro, I got this, you just do your Uber check out thingy and close the ride out, I will clear my boys out".

As the last one gets out, Don's hands one guy the drink tray, and reaches into his pocket, and pulls out a cash wad.

He peels off THREE 20's, and says, "bro, I like to treat people like they treat me, and sometimes better, here, keep it"

The 'squad' says 'thanks', as a group, and Don says "hope we see you around bro, you're a good dude. We appreciate the ride and the munchy run."

He finishes off this stunning 20 minutes by saying "no worries on the rating, bro, it's gonna be a 5 star all the way"!

I close the app out, turn it off, and pull away from the curb, thinking immediately of this GIF

CLICK HERE TO WATCH

thanks for reading...

2. SharedRideTruther

Driving:
    UberPLUS
    As if.
    It's fantasy, hence the hookah GIF of Ben Kingsley at the end.

3. uberissohonest

uberissohonest Well-Known Member

well...entertaining. you're a damn good writer. realized it was bull**** at "we appreciate you turning around" but kept reading because it was that compelling,

DB2448 and ocbob2 like this.
  4. SharedRideTruther

Driving:
    UberPLUS
    What's worse, though, is Uber is such a damn good sounding lie to newbies, they jump in, drive for a week or 3, and wonder WTF just happened ?

I gave away a free download on one of my first online 'adventures' years ago, and I saw that the open rate for that FREE download was actually only 35%.

The lower the price, the lower the value, period.

Someone is in an alley right now with a chick missing most of her teeth getting a 5 dollar 'Uber polish'.

She's an 'Uber' girl, too.

Uber in the dictionary sense, mind you...

Everybody wins, except Uber drivers...

Casuale Haberdasher likes this.
  5. uberissohonest

ahh, yes...the toothless beej. ye olde "gummy".

SharedRideTruther likes this.
  6. itsablackmarket

itsablackmarket Well-Known Member

I used to have rides that were similar to that, but that was before the public realized what a horrible company Uber is and henceforth wanted nothing to do with it, and those rare times they do have to Uber, they have no respect for the driver.

TwoFiddyMile and Scenicruiser like this.
  7. Another Uber Driver

Another Uber Driver Moderator Moderator

Driving:
    UberTAXI
    Do they still have Letters to Penthouse? This might be a good candidate.

8. Jedi Driver

Jedi Driver Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    SharedRide--you have talent my friend! You are an engaging, creative writer--I hope you pursue it someday. You have a gift.

UberMeansSuper and observer like this.
  9. Jam Val

Jam Val Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Nice!!! It's not even the money (although super awesome) that makes me love this group, it's the appreciation of your time and effort. A+!

TwoFiddyMile likes this.
  10. uberparadise

uberparadise Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    PARADISE FOUND!!! I actually had 3 jerks promise me food and after driving 10 mins to their choice of restaurants it was closed. One trouble maker said hey you are driving around in circles and I don't like this! I say blah blah blah. Amazingly I look down at my phone and notice I never started the trip. I say wow ******* I have not even charged u a penny yet. Realizing they can not rate me if I don't charge them I politely say Please exit my vehicle I don't want your business! Bye

11. SharedRideTruther

Driving:
    UberPLUS
    Sad the shizzle treatment we are programmed to put up with, for ugly-cheap fares, and ugly-low ratings from cheap a$$ pax.

Sad indeed

12. uberissohonest

can honestly say that in 7 years of driving a cab, i
    never had to endure the amount if bull**** from pax in the 3 or so months with uber. in 7 years in the cab, threatened a few times before they straightened up, but only ONCE had to kick anyone out. ive already ejected 3 rides on uber. uber has given too much power to the pax. in the cab, they knew how to ****ing comport themselves or risk being ejected on the side of the ****ing interstate.

13. ocbob2

ocbob2 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    So much BS in this thread. More believable if 1) tip not so big, 2) people were older, 3) you wouldn't drive 16 minutes to pick up a pax unless you knew where they were going.

Loved it though

14. SharedRideTruther

Driving:
    UberPLUS
    read my post directly after the initial post my friend...

hence the Ben Kingsley hookah GIF

thanks for reading...

Buckiemohawk likes this.
  15. RachelD

RachelD Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    IDK. I've actually had some really cool and respectful riders whose mommas have obviously taught them right. And, I suppose I'm still on a bit of a high because last night I got 2 different $100 bills as tips. Literally my 3rd and 4th tip ever out of over 30 fares. Prior to that I'd had a $2 tip and a $6 tip, which both THRILLED me lol

Jedi Driver and ocbob2 like this.
  16. xhydraspherex

xhydraspherex Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I had a similar experience as your fantasy, except mine actually happens. 4 college boys from ucla coming from dtla. 1.5 surge, nice fare. They didn't have drinks or food, but were loud as heck. At the end, the not so drunk pax in the front pulls a $10 and says "thanks, I know it sounds fake when I say it, but we really do appreciate you getting us home safe. Hope they weren't to much trouble." He asks me to end the trip so he can show me the 5* rating he was gonna give and tells me not all college students are &$@8*.

Jedi Driver, ocbob2, RachelD and 2 others like this.
  17. ocbob2

ocbob2 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Not sure why you feel the need to explain it. I got it as most did.

18. SharedRideTruther

Driving:
    UberPLUS
    a few seemed to need a small mental light of direction based on their comments, and i tend to try to be helpful, that's all.

19. DieselkW

DieselkW Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    I was thinking it was a former Uber driver that won the lottery and knows that it's really bad Karma to forget where you came from.

I've had some pretty good riders, but this story sounds like the top ten pax ever rolled into one ride, and no one, ever, ever ever, has told his friends to ditch their drinks before getting in. That's always got to me being a wet blanket on their night.

And you forgot to mention no one slammed any doors.

negeorgia likes this.
  20. TwoFiddyMile

TwoFiddyMile Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Taxi
    That would have been the ultimate Uptown to Dilworth run for sure.
    By the time Don was threatening his crew to not touch a french fry, I knew it was a wet dream.
    On most late night party of 5 runs, the loudest most type A dude tends to rank on the driver the most.