Would you use a dashcam-like app for 150$/month?

letsgo

I'm the manager of a pilot program that would pay Uber drivers 150$/month to do the following:
- we'd give you a device to mount on your front windshield. This can either be an Android device or a dashcam.
- you'll need to start recording once you start your daily drives and stop it when the day's over, no other interaction is required. While you drive, the app will take pictures every few seconds of what's in front of the car.
- once you get home and connect to Wi-Fi the app will automatically upload the data to the cloud, so this requires you have a stable Internet connection at home.
- you'll be able to view your drives history on a webpage, download the images, make a timelapse, etc.

Would you do it? If yes, why? If no.. why?

Later edit:
Ok, so I started this thread just to get an idea if you guys would be open to this proposal. And you obviously do, which is really great.

So, we'll go ahead and do this thing, starting in a couple of weeks with ~20 drivers! We'll start the pilot program with the San Francisco Bay Area.
It's easier for us to make contact with you this way and share the devices, hope you all understand. If all goes well, though, we'll definitely scale!

So, if you drive a lot in the San Francisco Bay Area and you're interested, PM me to reserve your spot!

Last edited:

UberMeansSuper

Sure. It's always cool to have evidence of not just accidents but things you see on the road.

One of my pax said, "y'all must be like cops: you see unbelievable things out there."

UberPartnerDennis

I'm the manager of a pilot program that would pay Uber drivers 150$/month to do the following:
- we'd give you a device to mount on your front windshield. This can either be an Android device or a dashcam.
- you'll need to start recording once you start your daily drives and stop it when the day's over, no other interaction is required. While you drive, the app will take pictures every few seconds of what's in front of the car.
- once you get home and connect to Wi-Fi the app will automatically upload the data to the cloud, so this requires you have a stable Internet connection at home.
- you'll be able to view your drives history on a webpage, download the images, make a timelapse, etc.

Would you do it? If yes, why? If no.. why?
I would ask the question, whats in it for you by paying us 150.00/mo? There must be some sort of trade off for that kind of cash....so whats the catch?

RightTurnClyde

I would ask the question, whats in it for you by paying us 150.00/mo? There must be some sort of trade off for that kind of cash....so whats the catch?
OP, answer this question from "UberPartnerDennis"and if it's satisfactory to me I'd be all in no doubt..!

Edit: to answer your question as to why I would say yes to the idea;
1. $150 a month to run a dashcam would be very easy money.
2. Dashcams are awesome! I already run one, and would put 10 of em in and on my car if I could.

Last edited:

letsgo

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Fair enough, so the reason behind this is not a slippery catch, but the access to that data itself. Imagine a system where 10% of all cars on the road upload what they 'see' to a centralised server. You'd get a 'live map', where you could instantly and automatically detect any accidents, road constructions, weather hazards, road changes, etc. Then you can propagate anything going on to all cars, for them to avoid any trouble. Think about it like an automatic Waze, but more automatised and overall better.
It's a long way to get there, but we have to start somewhere, right? That's why we're doing this pilot program with a limited amount of drivers that drive a lot ( that would be you, Uber drivers ) to see what data can we potentially collect and what can we extract.

Makes sense?

Last edited:

UberPartnerDennis

Fair enough, so the reason behind this is not a slippery catch, but the access to that data itself. Imagine a system where 10% of all cars on the road upload what they 'see' to a centralised server. You'd get a 'live map', where you could instantly and automatically detect any accidents, road constructions, weather hazards, road changes, etc. Then you can propagate anything going on to all cars, to avoid any trouble. Think about it like an automatic Waze, but more automatised and overall better.
It's a long way to get there, but we have to start somewhere, right? That's why we're doing this pilot program with a limited amount of drivers that drive a lot ( that would be you, Uber drivers ) to see what data can we potentially collect and what can we extract.

Makes sense?
What is your estimated turn around time from concept to inception? And yes it makes sense just seems a lot for you to pay

letsgo

Again, this is a pilot program with a few dozens of great Uber drivers. We need some real data to work with. It's not economically scalable to pay everyone to use it, absolutely. But until we prove the value of doing recordings with valuable extracted data, it's not fair to ask people to record without getting them something in return.

RightTurnClyde

Again, this is a pilot program with a few dozens of great Uber drivers. We need some real data to work with. It's not economically scalable to pay everyone to use it, absolutely. But until we prove the value of doing recordings with valuable extracted data, it's not fair to ask people to record without getting them something in return.
I get it, very interesting idea. I'm in 100% when the time comes

UberPartnerDennis

Exactly how would this be "real time data", if the images don't upload until you get home on your wifi?
I get it...they would use the aggregate of information collected to start building their database....I assume their equipment will have GPS with speed recording and will match up with what the camera is seeing vs speed etc. Its ambitious...I dont think they can do it, but who am I ...lol

letsgo

I get it...they would use the aggregate of information collected to start building their database....I assume their equipment will have GPS with speed recording and will match up with what the camera is seeing vs speed etc. Its ambitious...I dont think they can do it, but who am I ...lol
I guess we'll have to prove you wrong :smiles:

letsgo

Exactly how would this be "real time data", if the images don't upload until you get home on your wifi?
It wouldn't be real time, yet. It's something we can work with to develop and tune the algorithms.

Older Chauffeur

I have a dashcam with built in wifi. If one like mine was mounted in a car with Internet access, as I believe Ford now has, wouldn't that be "real time?"
I use WAZE, and for the most part find it accurate and helpful. However, I have to turn off my iPhone's wifi when using WAZE, as the dashcam wifi interferes with it, possibly with the GPS.
Interesting idea, hope you get somewhere with it.

Seastriper

The question would be what is considered "active driver" UBER does not entice us to want to drive a lot of hours...