• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Would you take this 45+?

OldBay

Got a short pickup in Annapolis at front end of rush hour. Woman says she's going to Philadelphia (!!), asks if thats alright.

I thought about it for five seconds and said "I can't make that work, not without something extra."

She declined and got out immediately. Didn't have to think about it for a second. I canceled and wished her the best.

A trip to Philadelphia is normally 3 hours under best circumstances, this is right in the frikken middle of rush hour. I'm thinking a nightmarish 5 hours up, 3 hours back. For $120ish. Zero chance of return trip. Getting home at midnight.

My question for you.. Who in their right mind would take this "without something extra?"

I'm guessing the next two cars declined her offer (unless noobs) and then she realized she would need to sweeten the deal.

Or are people so desperate to take that? BTW, it was a Lyft trip.

Last edited:

DoYouEvenLyft?

I would, if not somebody else would. I dont leave money on the table. Most long trips I have done included a tip that would pay for my gas on the way back. $120 for 5 hours? Your math is off. How many miles was the trip to her destination?

Reactions: EM1

Gtown Driver

I would, if not somebody else would. I dont leave money on the table. Most long trips I have done included a tip that would pay for my gas on the way back. $120 for 5 hours? Your math is off. How many miles was the trip to her destination?
With the current rates her only paying gas on the way back isnt worth the miles you putting on your car round trip.

If the lady couldnt even handle a little extra it was obvious she was looking for a no tip ride. Not worth it with these rates

OldBay

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Googled. Its 124 miles. (Maybe farther depending on suburb. I did ask here "where in philly" but she didn't answer.) Trip starting a 3:30p, hitting heavy rush hour, either on Bay Bridge or Baltimore depending on route, then hitting middle of rush hour in Philly. Guaranteed 4+ hour trip up, 3 hours deadhead back.

.80/mi rate, IME a trip of that distance would pay 120ish. For 7+ hours work.

Incidentally, I had some great airport runs after that, ran 6.5 hours total today and made 170. 25+/hr. Best day in a long time! So I'm not regretting the decision in any way, just curious how rekt someone would need to be to take that.
Post automatically merged:

With the current rates her only paying gas on the way back isnt worth the miles you putting on your car round trip.

If the lady couldnt even handle a little extra it was obvious she was looking for a no tip ride. Not worth it with these rates
Yeah, this!!!

Even if a tip made the hourly work out alright, the total miles would put the trip in the $.5/hr range. Really bad. Really really bad.

Based on miles, the trip would need to pay $250. I sure hope whoever took that trip negotiated a $100 cash tip!

Last edited:

DoYouEvenLyft?

Glad you did alright with the airport runs, that's where I make most of my money too. I get it, $120 for 7 hours of work is pure garbage.

Where I'm at, rates are:

.65/mile and .25 per minute. Sooooo

124 x .65 = $80.6
4 hour trip there which is 240 minutes × .25 = $60

So $140 right there....

I get about 32 mpg and gas is $3.00. Round trip mileage is 248 miles. So I will use about 8 gallons of gas. Which equals up to $24.00 in fuel used. So after expenses I would end up with under $120. All for 7 hours of work. The math isnt EXACT but bear with me.

Lolololololol that's bad 😂😂😂😂

OldBay

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yup not good. Thanks Uber (and Lyft)
Her immediate refusal to negotiate told me she doesn't understand the value of a driver's car and time. Wouldn't be completely surprised if she filed a complaint.

Regarding the pax... she was a mid/late 40s, middle class, short, bottle blondish, once cute, now frumpy, hit the wall ten years ago but hasn't realized it yet. Feminist. Thinks there's an "app for everything." Clothes were casual and had gone through many wash cycles. No bags, she wasn't in town on business. Probably thinks her father would be proud of her for "holding the line" and refusing to be "taken advantage of". Still trying to figure out what "leaning in" means. Will probably embellish the story when she retells it to her friends that driver was leering at her.

R3drang3r

Got a short pickup in Annapolis at front end of rush hour. Woman says she's going to Philadelphia (!!), asks if thats alright.

I thought about it for five seconds and said "I can't make that work, not without something extra."

She declined and got out immediately. Didn't have to think about it for a second. I canceled and wished her the best.

A trip to Philadelphia is normally 3 hours under best circumstances, this is right in the frikken middle of rush hour. I'm thinking a nightmarish 5 hours up, 3 hours back. For $120ish. Zero chance of return trip. Getting home at midnight.

My question for you.. Who in their right mind would take this "without something extra?"

I'm guessing the next two cars declined her offer (unless noobs) and then she realized she would need to sweeten the deal.

You did the right thing. You couldn't offer me enough money drive that part of the country during rush hour. Your assessment of a Pax unwilling to negotiate additional compensation is not worth the time of day.

O-Side Uber

I just turned down a 70 minute trip. It was 5pm and traffic was heavy. Risk of being rear ended goes up, more wear and tear on the breaks, more gas and dead miles . Not at the current rates, and I don’t like to have to shake down the PAX for extra money... U/L should be adding a long trip fee to these 45+ rides, especially if we are being throttled once we drop the PAX off due to the fact that we just made over $20 in the hour we just worked. So now it’s a guaranteed dead mile back. No thanks!!

BigRedDriver

Nope. Not a chance

BCS DRIVER

If you made say $150 on the trip which includes miles and time her ride was likely costing her $250-$275. She might have been under the impression you got all or a big portion of it. Simply explaining what your cut was likely to be might have tipped her over to offering more.

My question is what figure could she have offered to induce you to take the trip?