Uber Drivers Forum banner
  • If you have joined UberPeople.net because your Uber account was hacked, you've likely been taken in by a scam. Please read this before starting a thread on this subject.

Would you 1* her, or 5* him?

5K views 173 replies 55 participants last post by  SFOspeedracer 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm sitting at a park, waiting for my next ping. Ping comes in for "David" who is 1.9 miles away. I gladly accept.

Before I can even get out of the park, a female calls me, asking what color is my car and what kind of car is it. Somebody doesn't know how to use their app. They have to call me for information that is right on their screen. She also tells me I have to pick her up in the parking lot, not on the street. Fine. I head over the river to pick up "David" with the female voice.

I arrive in a parking lot for which the way in is also the only way out. There's the woman who called, and a guy, who I presume is David. They both get in. I head out of the parking lot (through the only exit available) and she starts screaming I'm going the wrong way. I told her this is the only way out of the lot, and I'm on the proper street. She then says, "Oh, I thought you were going up Brady Street. I guess you are right."

David says, "Are you going to take Centennial Bridge?" I said, "Yes. There's a barge locking through right now on the Arsenal Bridge." The woman chimes in, "NO! NO! Take the Arsenal Bridge. It's quicker!"

I say, "Not if there's a barge locking through." She keeps insisting I take the Arsenal Bridge. David gives in and says, "Take the Arsenal Bridge." So I head over that way, and sure enough, a barge is still locking through. The bridge is closed like I told her it would be. She says, "I guess you were right."

We now have to turn back one mile and take the Centennial Bridge which I originally suggested. She then starts complaining about the potholes on Second Street and accuses me of intentionally hitting them to make her ride rougher. I tell her, "I don't intentionally hit potholes. They ruin my suspension. Unfortunately, 2nd Street is nothing but potholes, so there's no option to avoid them."

She then starts complaining about Donald Trump and how he should be locked up. She is clearly not David, because he has kept his cool the whole time. It's his name on the Uber account, but she was an insufferable 1* pax. Do I give one-star because of her mouth, or I do I give 5* out of pity because David is forced to live with this wench?

See less See more
#102 ·
Riders are responsible for their pax. Backseat drivers are an automatic 1* in my book, but that **** earns a report for rudeness for going above and beyond. Chances are better than not i would have pulled over and ordered them to GTFO of my car immediately.

David deserves it for putting up with that *****. Chicks only act like that because there are too many ******* like David that put up with it. **** him!

#107 ·

Misleading thread title.

Suggested OP wanted to hear other view points on rating pax after putting up with their shitty ride.

Should have been

I gave pax 5☆ after putting up with their ??, change my mind.

Reactions: Christinebitg
#110 ·
Apparently it was actually in their car right next to us. The father's explanation was "but he's younger than 2, he doesn't need one" - clearly a language barrier.

Reactions: Amos69
#111 · (Edited)
That's one big reason I wasn't so quick to slap her down. I was trying to save her money by being honest. She added another dollar to the fare because her tiny brain couldn't comprehend time/distance calculations.

And I'm supposed to one-star her for that?

I swear many commenters on this forum hate Uber so much, that they transfer that hatred to every passenger who uses Uber. We're just supposed to one-star everyone because they helped make money for Uber. This idiot pax also helped me make more money...despite my good-faith attempts to help her out of her own mess.
Society in general has become , for many , about rating everything . That includes people . Definitely for younger people it is a part of the way they think about life in general . Sometimes people are more worries about formulating a rating for an experience than actually enjoying it . It creeps into my brain too .

As for passengers , if I am going to down rate it's for a good reason . People that expect me to do work that I am not being compensated for and then don't tip . Outright disrespecting me or my car . Putting me in dangerous situations .

Most people are annoying . People have personality quirks . Not everyone can be 5* perfect all the time . Besides the whole UBER star rating is messed up to begin with . They have figured out a way to make 4*s a bad thing .

So, I don't get it..... Are you trying to say she was stupid or are you saying it's not unusual for pax to misunderstand the color of your car ??‍♀
This is a thing . On LYFT the picture is black but in small print it says grey . My car is lighter grey and sometimes there is confusion .

#113 · (Edited)
As for passengers , if I am going to down rate it's for a good reason . People that expect me to do work that I am not being compensated for and then don't tip . Outright disrespecting me or my car . Putting me in dangerous situations .
The overall devaluation of stars (for both drivers and pax) is quite apparent if you read through throughout the many posts on this forum. The driver didn't have the temperature set just perfect for the trip; 1* by the pax. The pax got in the front seat, because that's where they prefer to sit; 1* by the driver.

If you're that touchy about a driver, how does such a pax further downrate a driver who dangerously blows through stops signs?

If you're that touchy about pax sitting in the front seat, how does such a driver further downrate a pax who makes a serious verbal threat?

You've already handed out one star for a simple misdemeanor. That 1* loses its meaning for anything more severe. Uber has created a system of gratuitous retribution between driver and pax. It means nothing.

So you're not objecting to the 1-star I gave. You're objecting to my characterization of a pax as an "a$$hole?"
You play childish games with the ratings system. You one-star passengers simply because you GUESS they might one-star you. You're not making an honest evaluation on their conduct. You're merely responding to a perceived slight that hasn't yet materialized, and may never materialize.

And then, when somebody points out your flawed logic and excessive paranoia, you deflect the issue by attacking them.

Same [female canine] who got ahold of the phone calling you earlier, wouldn't happen to call in a racist complaint, right? I wouldn't trust David either. He's @@@@@@@ her, not you, after all. She's probably in charge of the finances anyway.
Here we are a day later, and my Uber app still logs in to accept ride requests. Even my meaningless driver rating has no more 1* ratings than it did a few days ago.

I got paid for a longer-than-expected ride, didn't get 1* (as if that really matters), and the "happy couple" was satisfied enough with the ride that they never called to complain about it.

As for who pays the bills and the graphic nature of their sex life, I couldn't care less. I drive for money, and that's exactly what I got from this ride. A true happy ending.

Apparently it was actually in their car right next to us. The father's explanation was "but he's younger than 2, he doesn't need one" - clearly a language barrier.
And, clearly a father who doesn't a f**k about his child dying in an accident. It's amazing how many of those there are seeking rides from complete strangers.

#118 ·
I haven't made up my mind yet. So far the $4/tank I've been saving on gas has definitely not paid for itself because of lost fares from keeping Uber off to avoid bad fares and because of lost good fares from accepting bad fares. The direction and distance feature could be useful for determining whether to cancel riders after the 5 min mark. I'm undecided. I've only had a qualifying acceptance rate for a few days now. But I will try using their dent removal service if I can get off my butt and call them up. I have some qualifying dents. I also maybe want to try the ASU online and go for a BS.

Overall, I personally doubt the Pro benefits without the ASU online would be worthwhile. I'm kinda mixed on the ASU online thing. I already have an MS in Mechanical Engineering and loathe working for companies so much that I drive Uber full time. I'm not sure what I'll do with an extra BS degree other than flaunt it wildly at my pets, human friend (singular), and parents.
If you got it flaunt it!!

#129 ·
- "NO! NO! Take the Arsenal Bridge. It's quicker!"
- [Pulls over] "It appears that this ride is not working out for you. No big deal, it happens from time to time. I'll let you out here so you can connect with another driver who will be able to better meet your needs".

Once pax has alighted, roll down the window:

- "Feel free to cancel this ride; you won't be charged for it."

Kill the Uber app so no further distance is added to the trip and then drive off. Pax cancels and gets charged for and you get paid for the partially completed trip; pax cannot 1* you because it's a cancelled trip.

You've put the garbage out and got paid, and no low rating.

#130 ·
There's two possible outcomes when pax give you directions: they're right or they're wrong. If they're right and know a better route then there is nothing to complain about. If they are wrong you get paid more from distance/time. Either way you might as well take their directions rather than wasting time arguing about it. Even as a PROFESSIONAL cab driver this was the case and still applies to U/L. It's can actually be fun taking a slower route knowing they are just asking you to run up the fare...

#140 ·
It's his name on the Uber account, but she was an insufferable 1* pax. Do I give one-star because of her mouth, or I do I give 5* out of pity because David is forced to live with this wench?
1* and say as they are outside car, "David, this ride is going to be a 1* rating because of who you bring along. Better luck next time."

#141 ·
After reading your account and my past experiences, I have learned that 1* rides cannot be turned around midstream and if I'm in your situation or similar, I will pull over and end the ride. Because 99.7%+ my rides are 5*, I have some cred with uber so they won't boot me off. I'll get an initial warning.

A small percentage of pax want to play a game with drivers to try to extract max benefit for them for whatever reason. In your situation your pax companion was trying to establish her dominance in front of the pax and you were just a tool.

#145 · (Edited)
But I'm getting the sense that you're exaggerating about that part.
She was highly animated about it, in a way that most normal people would find irritating. And, of course, she was completely wrong on top of it.

Kill the Uber app so no further distance is added to the trip and then drive off. Pax cancels and gets charged for and you get paid for the partially completed trip; pax cannot 1* you because it's a cancelled trip.

I have contemplated actions like that in the past (including with this ride) but ultimately it comes down to the fact passengers who are this wound up are very likely to call support and make some outrageous claim, like I used the N-word, or was intoxicated. So, the ride might be cancelled, and I might get paid for the eight blocks I drove them, but now I'm looking at a two-day suspension...if I'm lucky.

I really don't care about the 1* from a passenger. My driver rating is high enough that I can absorb quite a few of those before Uber would start to contemplate deactivation. I'm more concerned about the retaliatory call to support, because it appears that particular strategy yields immediate results for pax looking to exact revenge on a driver.

If we're going to base the final analysis on outcomes, I got paid for the entire trip, I didn't get one-starred, and more importantly...I didn't get my account suspended because Miss Thang felt the need to get me fired. If I had tossed her and David out on the street, I'm almost certain a call to support would have ensued. Instead of defending my actions here, I'd be over at a Green Light Hub defending them there.

#146 ·
Wow I think I recognize your location? Q.C.? I was born and raised there but left for Florida 16 years ago. I remember that arsenal bridge and those barges!

Anyway, that would be a 2* from me unless David handed me at least a $10 cash tip or a $5 tip and a quick apology.

#149 ·
Wow I think I recognize your location? Q.C.? I was born and raised there but left for Florida 16 years ago.
You, and about 70% of the QC leaves here for better weather. In fact, one of my co-workers just had her Going Away Party on Thursday for....wait for it....Florida!

She was a nice person but it really sucked to have to go through a security check and show my DL for $3.00. She didn't tip. I mean I sort of see why. Lyft charged her about $7.50 for the ride and we barely went a mile.
I hate those trips where you get a really nice passenger who is only going one mile. You like their personality, but you hate the fact their ride request is essentially wasting your time.

It's hard to hate someone who is nice and only needs to go a mile. But, on some level, you still hate them.

#147 ·
I'll give you an example of a recent down rating by me and you tell me if it's a childish game.

I arrived at the pickup, an apartment complex, and parked in front of the office where the pin dropped. I received no instructions from the rider. At two minutes I sent my standard text: "Your Uber is here." No response.

At four minutes thirty seconds I'm getting ready to shuffle. At that point I see a young black girl walking around the corner. She's on her phone. Sure enough she walks toward me and gets in the car. I don't remember whether she greeted me or not. But she was not pleasant.
Once again, just more proof that this ratings system is deeply flawed. Her ratings were spiteful towards you because she has a perpetual chip on her shoulder...and you feel the need to reciprocate bad ratings you feel are imminent. If you had been a young, black male driver who was reasonably attractive, she probably would have been flirting with you the whole ride, not caring at all where you were going. You would have gotten tipped $5, and probably been handed her phone number, too.

This ratings system is utter BS. Pax with attitudes who want free rides will sabotage any driver they don't like (usually based on skin color) to feel better about themselves. Drivers with attitudes who hate Uber/Lyft for unfair compensation will vent their frustrations on pax who don't tip in cash. It's a worthless system for evaluating the quality of a driver, or the suitability of a passenger.

#148 ·
Drivers with attitudes who hate Uber/Lyft for unfair compensation will vent their frustrations on pax who don't tip in cash.
Yeah I got a ride like this the other day. One of my worst rides yet. I pick up this girl on Lyft at an apartment complex. I hit ARRIVE and see she is going to the neighboring gated community which has a manned security gate and requires showing your driver's license to get in. I normally would have just cancelled it at that point but she was smiling and standing right in front of me so I didn't want to be some jerk who ruined her day. She was a nice person but it really sucked to have to go through a security check and show my DL for $3.00. She didn't tip. I mean I sort of see why. Lyft charged her about $7.50 for the ride and we barely went a mile.

Still I wanted to 3* her due to the lack of the tip but just couldn't do it. If I get her again though and there is no tip then I will be 3*'ing her so I don't get her again. I wouldn't be complaining if I got at least $5 for the trip but having to show my DL and wait at a security check for $3 is unreasonable.

#158 · (Edited)
I jump on the people who jump on me for not having tossed them out. You're saying David is to be punished for the sins of his lady partner. You're saying it is his fault she acts up.

Just like it is your fault when one of your students acts up in class, right?
Not his fault, but his "responsibility" since he is the account holder and he brought her into the car. It wouldn't be right to say Uber is responsible. And certainly you as the driver are not responsible. It seems as though you cut them every break and gave them the benefit of the doubt. The account holder is the person most in control of this situation. He is going to have the most influence over this woman. The only other option is to say that no-one can be held accountable, and that the driver should just suck it up, in that case.

This is the second time, at least, that you've started a thread with a purportedly honest request to get opinions and then you slam everybody whose opinion you disagree with.

It's definitely passive-aggressive behavior.
Hmmm, I'm not so sure. I think he would be willing to change his mind, if he heard the right argument. But people can't always express their opposing views without becoming offensive, and name calling, and getting all trolly about it.

#160 ·
I place money lower on my scale of priorities than most people. First goal is to get home safe. Secong goal is to get home reasonable happy. However much money I make after that is fine with me. I work on other driving strategies if I want to make more money, but I don't sacrifice safety and wellbeing in the name of profit. Maybe that's just me.

I once had a similar ride to this. An XL ride with five pax, and one of them (not the account holder) was similar to the woman in OP's story. She made the ride a living hell for me. I hung in there, put up with the abuse, and completed the ride. The rest of the group were very cool, and tried to make things easier for me. By the end of the ride, I think the group liked ME more than their obnoxious friend. I got what I think was a five dollar sympathy tip. And that's kind of what I was shooting for. To turn the group against her by just taking it, and they in fact gave me the tip. It was sort of a novelty experiment for me, and it worked. But I wouldn't want to do it again. It ruined my mood for the rest of the night. Not worth the money. I would have got another ride.

Money can't buy happiness, but you might be able to buy your way out of misery for the price of an uber ride.

You don't have to kick people out of the car with malice. I never raise my voice, or resort to name calling, or use foul language. Don't be disrespectful, and don't argue with them. Just tell them you're going to end the ride, and tell them they are free to go. If they want to escalate, then that's totally on them.

Customer service has to have it's limitations. And everybody can decide for themselves exactly where they want to draw that line. But in my opinion, this society has gone to far in the direction of "the customer is always right." And it has created a society of entitled selfish consumers. It's an ugly sight, and it's all in the name of profit. People will sell their soul to maximize profit. Wouldn't anybody rather just be happy for a while?

#161 ·
You don't have to kick people out of the car with malice. I never raise my voice, or resort to name calling, or use foul language. Don't be disrespectful, and don't argue with them. Just tell them you're going to end the ride, and tell them they are free to go. If they want to escalate, then that's totally on them.
In four years I've only had to end the ride early twice. Only once while the pax were still in the car. I waited fifteen minuted for them at their first stop then they demanded that I stop again so they could do some more shopping. I didn't even have to tell them to get out. When I told them no I wouldn't wait again I was so angry that they knew immediately the ride was over. The were anxious to get out of the car at that point. Of course I got my 1-star three minutes later.

#164 ·
If you're being sincere here, then when you get a request and see the rider has a 4.2 rating, your first thought is, "Boy, this is probably a really good pax who's been rated unfairly. I'm going to jump on this ride!" Is that what you think?
I've taken a lady with a 3.8 rating multiple times in my vehicle. Every time she was well-behaved and pleasant to chat with. She didn't tip, and she didn't have supermodel good looks. I'm guessing those two reasons (especially the latter) are what drove her rating into the toilet. I've had tipping 5* passengers who I ended up one-starring because they were obnoxious and disrespectful.

Using the Uber/Lyft ratings to pick your rides is about as helpful as using a horoscope to make big life decisions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.