Would you 1* her, or 5* him?

mbd

I'm sitting at a park, waiting for my next ping. Ping comes in for "David" who is 1.9 miles away. I gladly accept.

Before I can even get out of the park, a female calls me, asking what color is my car and what kind of car is it. Somebody doesn't know how to use their app. They have to call me for information that is right on their screen. She also tells me I have to pick her up in the parking lot, not on the street. Fine. I head over the river to pick up "David" with the female voice.

I arrive in a parking lot for which the way in is also the only way out. There's the woman who called, and a guy, who I presume is David. They both get in. I head out of the parking lot (through the only exit available) and she starts screaming I'm going the wrong way. I told her this is the only way out of the lot, and I'm on the proper street. She then says, "Oh, I thought you were going up Brady Street. I guess you are right."

David says, "Are you going to take Centennial Bridge?" I said, "Yes. There's a barge locking through right now on the Arsenal Bridge." The woman chimes in, "NO! NO! Take the Arsenal Bridge. It's quicker!"

I say, "Not if there's a barge locking through." She keeps insisting I take the Arsenal Bridge. David gives in and says, "Take the Arsenal Bridge." So I head over that way, and sure enough, a barge is still locking through. The bridge is closed like I told her it would be. She says, "I guess you were right."

We now have to turn back one mile and take the Centennial Bridge which I originally suggested. She then starts complaining about the potholes on Second Street and accuses me of intentionally hitting them to make her ride rougher. I tell her, "I don't intentionally hit potholes. They ruin my suspension. Unfortunately, 2nd Street is nothing but potholes, so there's no option to avoid them."

She then starts complaining about Donald Trump and how he should be locked up. She is clearly not David, because he has kept his cool the whole time. It's his name on the Uber account, but she was an insufferable 1* pax. Do I give one-star because of her mouth, or I do I give 5* out of pity because David is forced to live with this wench?
5 star for David
If it was her account, 1 star

rkozy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
One star. I rate the complete ride not just the account holder.
The account holder is the person who is most likely to be using it, though I'm sure that scenario can vary from person to person. If David had not been present for this ride, Miss Thang would have provided the only basis for rating...and David would have surely wound up with a 1* due to his absence.

David is suffering enough. The utter defeat in his eyes was plain to see. I see no reason to add to his humiliation by tanking his passenger rating. Some drivers enjoy tanking a passenger's rating just because. I do not enjoy gratuitous one-stars. It's already a deeply flawed system without vengeful ratings. There's no benefit to using it as a blacklisting tool, especially to people who don't really deserve it.
Post automatically merged:

Really? You can do a ride, and at the end think "this a$$hole's going to 1-star me," and still give him a 5-star? You're awesome!
Luckily, I've never had a ride where I felt somebody was going to 1* me. I've definitely had some rides where I felt a 3* might be coming. Should I one-star those pax, too?

Trafficat

My rule for Uber ratings: 5 stars unless I need to kick them out, in that case 1 star. My reasoning is to avoid retaliatory ratings. Kicking someone out though is an automatic 1 star from them anyway.

Except on Lyft. On Lyft I use 3 star ratings for passengers that I don't kick out but don't want to see again.

rkozy

5 star for David
If it was her account, 1 star
It was his account. He also backed me up when she was b!tching and moaning about everything. He agreed with my suggestion that the Centennial Bridge was a better bet, and he ribbed her nicely when the Arsenal Bridge was locked down for a barge...

"I TOLD YOU TO LISTEN TO THE UBER DRIVER!"

David was cool. I'd gladly take this guy again.

Sconnie

Pax account holders are responsible for the actions and behavior of whomever they choose bring with them. If this woman had puked in your car would you have not charged a cleaning fee because David didn't do it? This will likely not be the last time David orders a ride with her. Would you be willing to drive her again? If the answer is no I would've given 1 star.

rkozy

Pax account holders are responsible for the actions and behavior of whomever they choose bring with them. If this woman had puked in your car would you have not charged a cleaning fee because David didn't do it? This will likely not be the last time David orders a ride with her. Would you be willing to drive her again? If the answer is no I would've given 1 star.
If somebody damages my car, that is a purely monetary issue for which the party ordering the ride will be held responsible.

This was an irritating "significant other" who didn't damage anything. Apples to oranges, at best.

Coachman

Luckily, I've never had a ride where I felt somebody was going to 1* me. I've definitely had some rides where I felt a 3* might be coming. Should I one-star those pax, too?
I don't know. What did you rate them?

The last time I felt a 1-star coming it turned out to be only a 2-star. So maybe the 1-star I gave her was a little cruel?

rkozy

I don't know. What did you rate them?

The last time I felt a 1-star coming it turned out to be a 2-star. So maybe the 1-star I gave her was a little cruel?
I rate passengers based on how they treat me. David treated me just fine. I rate passengers 5*/1* based on whether I'd take them again. I'd take David again. He's lucky he was along to represent his account in-person. And, apparently he is lucky he got me.

Unfortunately, if he ever shows up again...and his wife (or whatever) is next to him, I'll be cancelling.

goneubering

My rule for Uber ratings: 5 stars unless I need to kick them out, in that case 1 star. My reasoning is to avoid retaliatory ratings. Kicking someone out though is an automatic 1 star from them anyway.

Except on Lyft. On Lyft I use 3 star ratings for passengers that I don't kick out but don't want to see again.
That’s extremely generous!! What’s your driver rating on Uber? I found my rating went up when I stopped worrying about ratings.

rkozy

That’s extremely generous!! What’s your driver rating on Uber? I found my rating went up when I stopped worrying about ratings.
My current rating is 4.97 Uber and 5.00 Lyft.

I don't worry about ratings, because when you treat people the way you'd like to be treated, almost all of them will give you five stars regardless.

Sconnie

If somebody damages my car, that is a purely monetary issue for which the party ordering the ride will be held responsible.

This was an irritating "significant other" who didn't damage anything. Apples to oranges, at best.
I realize damage to property is a completely different plain but the principal is still the same. So if you wouldn't drive her again under any circumstances I think you should've given them a 1* because unless you're in a larger market youre going to get her again. Did David at least give you a tip for putting up with her? That might also change my opinion on this subject.

rkozy

Can’t argue with success.
I don't really think the system used by either Uber or Lyft has much to do with success. Each driver has their own idiosyncratic method for rating pax. Many pax rate their driver for crap (surge fares, traffic delays, bad hair days, etc.) that has nothing to do with courteous and professional driving.

The entire system is a joke. If Taxicabs had implemented a pointless system like this when they first started, nobody would have taken a job as a cab driver.

We don't let the mentally ill decide important court cases. Why are we letting them decide if independent contractors can make money with their own vehicle?

Oh I've seen him b!tch about unfair ratings.
I b!tch about the stupidity of the system. Because, apparently petty people like yourself will one-star pax simply because you believe they will one-star you.

I realize damage to property is a completely different plain but the principal is still the same. So if you wouldn't drive her again under any circumstances I think you should've given them a 1* because unless you're in a larger market youre going to get her again. Did David at least give you a tip for putting up with her? That might also change my opinion on this subject.
The principle is whether the passenger is welcome in my car again. David is welcome in my car again.

Miss Thang will not be. Problem solved.

Last edited:

SuzeCB

It was his account. He also backed me up when she was b!tching and moaning about everything. He agreed with my suggestion that the Centennial Bridge was a better bet, and he ribbed her nicely when the Arsenal Bridge was locked down for a barge...

"I TOLD YOU TO LISTEN TO THE UBER DRIVER!"

David was cool. I'd gladly take this guy again.
If David was "cool" he wouldn't be such a wuss.

Whatever happened to MEN. Anyone remember MEN? I liked men. I miss them.

rkozy

If David was "cool" he wouldn't be such a wuss.

Whatever happened to MEN. Anyone remember MEN? I liked men. I miss them.
I suppose if David would have slapped her around and tossed her out of the car while it was still moving, everything would have turned out just fine. He didn't do that. So, he must be one-starred.

SuzeCB

I suppose if David would have slapped her around and tossed her out of the car while it was still moving, everything would have turned out just fine. He didn't do that. So, he must be one-starred.
Not at all. I'm not advocating violence at all. I wonder why your mind jumped past all the other possibilities right to violence against a woman....

His account, his responsibility. YMMV

Trafficat

Pre UberPro was 4.93. Since accepting more trips for UberPro, it went down to 4.88. My rating on Lyft is 4.97. My Uber acceptance rate is right at 85%, my Lyft acceptance rate is 45%.

I think it makes sense that aiming for a higher acceptance rate will damage driver rating.
Longer pickup times => lower driver ratings.
Lower passenger rating => Lower rating given to driver

Last edited:

rkozy

Not at all. I'm not advocating violence at all. I wonder why your mind jumped past all the other possibilities right to violence against a woman....

His account, his responsibility. YMMV
My mind didn't jump past all the other possibilities. If you actually read the post of mine you originally quoted, he made fun of her for not heeding my suggestion. He took my side and ribbed her for being wrong when we got to the bridge.

What more does he need to do? Apparently making fun of her wasn't enough.

Pre UberPro was 4.93. Since accepting more trips for UberPro, it went down to 4.88. My rating on Lyft is 4.97. My Uber acceptance rate is right at 85%, my Lyft acceptance rate is 45%.

Longer pickup times = lower driver ratings.
Funny how that works. Conventional wisdom would say that longer pickup times should equal more grateful pax who rate you higher for making the extra effort to get them into an Uber.

The ratings system (when it isn't being used by both pax and drivers to exact revenge) is being used by Uber to screw with their driver partners. How much more evidence do we need that it is useless for the express purpose of evaluating quality?

Trafficat

Funny how that works. Conventional wisdom would say that longer pickup times should equal more grateful pax who rate you higher for making the extra effort to get them into an Uber.

The ratings system (when it isn't being used by both pax and drivers to exact revenge) is being used by Uber to screw with their driver partners. How much more evidence do we need that it is useless for the express purpose of evaluating quality?
When I was first starting out, I used to drive 25 minutes fairly often to pick up passengers for Lyft. I realized I got many downrates for that. So I started sending a text message to my Lyft passengers warning them of my ETA. About half would cancel for ETA over 15 minutes. Texting passengers with your ETA time is a great way to protect your ratings and cause passengers to cancel an unprofitable trip without harming your acceptance rate or cancel rate, and to accumulate cancel fees.

In theory, they should know how long it takes for you to arrive when they book it, but we all know they don't pay attention. It seems like every rider I get out in the suburbs tells me they aren't ready when I get there in 5 mins because the uber "normally takes 20 minutes". Many pax seem to not read what the app tells them and goes by what is "normal" so you may be less likely to get a downrate picking up a pax 20 mins away in the suburbs, but if your ETA is 20 minutes and they are in downtown and you're coming from the suburbs, I've had pax actually complain at me for being late before getting in my car when I got there even though I arrived within the GPS estimate.

For Uber I often do not text my ETA because the long distance pickup fees can be pretty lucrative. As long as your rating is high enough, you can make a little bit more money by using strategies that aren't the best for high ratings. I hate long pickups that are high in minutes and low on miles, but ones that are at least 15 miles away can give a pretty decent long pickup fee in my market.

Last edited: