Would an Uber/Lyft merger be good or bad for drivers?

New2This

Dara will not do that ....all these new CEO's have to be employee ( independent contractors) friendly
On paper and in PR puff pieces yes. In reality no.

Just off the top of my head:

*New app that no driver that knows what they're doing actually wanted

*Giving 6 DFs then when drivers were using them too efficiently taking them away and going back to 2 DFs

*Upfront Pricing i.e. charging rider more but not paying drivers more

*Charlotte Surge AKA New Surge. Pays less to drivers. Ask me how I know.

*Reduced incentives (Boost/Quest etc.)

Dara talks a good game.

mbd

Bezos has to spend 28 million a day, if he does not, he will be worth more next day..

VictorD

It would be pointless. The only reason for any acquisition would be to acquire assets or databases. Technically, other than their apps, neither company has any assets of real value that the other doesn't already have. As for their databases, both databases are likely already close to a mirror image of the other's, so there'd be little value there.

So, unless one is acquiring the other solely for the purpose of dissolving it, what's the value in acquiring what you essentially already have?

Transeau

Hmmm "Luber"

No competition means that they have no reason to increase driver pay. As far as I know, they are not regulated on what they charge or pay so they would have no reason not to lower the payout, increase the rider cost, and increase their cut.

reg barclay

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It would be pointless. The only reason for any acquisition would be to acquire assets or databases. Technically, other than their apps, neither company has any assets of real value that the other doesn't already have.
Wouldn't one company acquiring the other, automatically acquire their customers too?

That being said, an acquisition is different to a merger, in that the acquiring company could keep the other one going if they chose to.

SoFlaDriver

Probably about how the XM/Sirius merger went for consumers. Before, I was paying about $10/month. It's now over $20. A Lyft/Uber merger would eliminate competitive price pressure between the two and no doubt drive prices up for riders. Likewise, it would probably drive rates down for drivers, since they'd no longer compete on that front either, though that effect might be less pronounced because A) it really isn't much competition now as drivers can run both platforms and are oversaturated in many markets anyway, and B) taxis are still there as a competitive force holding rates down.

But it's probably gonna happen at some point. America is run for stockholders, not consumers or workers. Such a move would be great for them.

johnydynamic

When has anything that's happened in regards to Lyft or Uber been good for the driver?
Just one, name one ... go ahead.
There was a class action lawsuit against Lyft where drivers got their piece of the settlement proportional to the number of rides they did.

Mista T

Author
The only reason Uber is paying us as much as they are is because if they drop too much lower, we drive for the competitor (and vice versa). A merger would make our pay significantly worse. Hard to imagine, right? Drivers in 2014 and 2015 were thinking the same thing, that pay can't go any lower or all drivers would quit.

Jay Dean

Both are now for the unemployable in general or the ones that are clueless of math lol merging them makes it harder to distribute welfare hahahah, yeah I drive full time but I built a nest egg from past, and doing this in a pos car, I think what you are asking is can there be a sun and no moon?