Worst ride you ever gave as a driver.

Taksomotor

So the forum is full of stories how the riders or Uber did us wrong. But let's face it, there must be stories where we screwed up as drivers. Let's share for the laugh sake?

So my worst drive I would say when I was driving a couple from downtown Boston and I had to take a tunnel, but I missed and took the wrong tunnel and took them all the way to the airport, totally off plus a toll. Then on the way back I took the same tunnel, instead of a different one and then as I had to take a street between the tunnels, I took yet again the wrong tunnel. All of them with tolls. I kept saying sorry. They kept saying it was ok. I think they started fearing we would never make it. So, I looked later, I got about $9 worth of tolls, in the $24 ride, and they left me a $1 tip. God, I felt so bad!

toiuber

I avoid all tunnels now after sitting in standstill traffic for 30 minutes. Waze didn't show any congestion in the tunnel until I dropped 5 standstill balloons on it.

Worst ride was taking northbound instead of southbound. Added 15 minutes to the trip. The lady is from that area though so was patient and guided me to the turnaround path. $1 top too.

Taksomotor

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
In Boston it is really not possible to avoid tunnels, unless you are willing to add 30 mins to your trip.

Benjamin M

So, I looked later, I got about $9 worth of tolls, in the $24 ride, and they left me a $1 tip. God, I felt so bad!
Hey, at least they tipped! ? Yeah that's pretty bad.

I can't think of anything particularly bad specific trips but I have at least one "oh crap" moment every time I drive. Usually it's saying something stupid, misreading my pax - usually after driving for around four straight hours. My dash camera is full of me face palming and calling myself an idiot after drop offs.

I really need new brakes. "Stop right here" turns out to be about a hundred feet off, "or here's fine, I guess." It's either a gradual stop or a rather abrupt one.

Last week, someone slammed brakes in front of me and I missed rear ending them by a few inches. My college girls in the back weren't buckled (I have to tell grown adults to buckle up in 2019) and actually came out of their seats. I was sure that I was going to get dinged for driving but they actually thought it was hilarious, "OMG you should have seen your face! Drama!" ?

FLKeys

Late night airport run Turnpike closed for construction, took alternate route and it was closed because of an accident. I really don't know Miami well enough so I do not drive up there for that reason. Pax was clueless how lost we were and I'm sure was pretty freaked out by some of the plight we saw in the city. I finally got us there, Pax made his plane, all turned out well.

TXqwi3812

my worst time as a driver is looking at how little I made after the ride ends then figuring out how really little I made after I put in the spreadsheet minus expenses.

LAbDog65

Picked up two guys from decent neighborhood. On way out of complex I see police cars headed in, I think nothing of it. Ten minutes later I hear pax whispering and what sounds like money being counted. Ride almost over so I continue. One guy says to me did you hear what we said. Told him I wasn’t paying attention. He said I think that is a good thing. Dropped them off. I think I was an unwitting getaway car.

Syn

In Milwaukee we have a lot of breweries (and I really mean A LOT). Some of them have very similar names or they have more than one locations. Initially, when I would see name of the brewery, I wouldn't even bother to turn the GPS on since I know them all (or so I thought). Once or twice I took people to a wrong brewery, dropped them off and then hours later realized what I've done. These paxs were usually out of town people so they didn't realize it either.

I also have a heavy eastern European accent so people automatically assume that I'm a Russian (not even close). Once I got into a heated argument with a drunk pax over Putin ... Lesson learned - never talk about politics.

Taksomotor

In Milwaukee we have a lot of breweries (and I really mean A LOT). Some of them have very similar names or they have more than one locations. Initially, when I would see name of the brewery, I wouldn't even bother to turn the GPS on since I know them all (or so I thought). Once or twice I took people to a wrong brewery, dropped them off and then hours later realized what I've done. These paxs were usually out of town people so they didn't realize it either.

I also have a heavy eastern European accent so people automatically assume that I'm a Russian (not even close). Once I got into a heated argument with a drunk pax over Putin ... Lesson learned - never talk about politics.
Generally the beer drinking customers are rather forgiving and they are probably happy in any brewery :smiles:

As for political conversations, I do like to have them, but I try not to argue or express too much of my own opinion, but rather find out what the rider thinks about an issue and how he justified that.

So, is that a secret where your accent cones from? You say it sounds Russian, but not even close? I am intrigued :smiles:

EphLux

I missed two major exits from Disneyland in Anaheim to LAX airport. The Canadian pax was worried I was setting him up for a robbery (seriously). I refunded the guy the entire $60 fare.

Taksomotor

I missed two major exits from Disneyland in Anaheim to LAX airport. The Canadian pax was worried I was setting him up for a robbery (seriously). I refunded the guy the entire $60 fare.
Wow, you refunded? How? Sent him money by PayPal, or cash? I would not do that. I would apologize but that is as much as my service guarantee extends. And if he gave me hell, I would report to Uber saying that I made an honest mistake due to their crappy navigation. Let them deal with the passenger.

Syn

Generally the beer drinking customers are rather forgiving and they are probably happy in any brewery :smiles:

As for political conversations, I do like to have them, but I try not to argue or express too much of my own opinion, but rather find out what the rider thinks about an issue and how he justified that.

So, is that a secret where your accent cones from? You say it sounds Russian, but not even close? I am intrigued :smiles:
This conversation started when a drunk pax asked me what I think of Putin. I honestly don't follow politics so I don't know much about him, so I answered that I read somewhere that living standards in Russia really went up when he became the president. I guess pax didn't like that answer since she started yelling how Putin is an evil man who murders journalists ... Luckily it was a very short ride.

To Americans, most of us from the eastern Europe sound the same. I'm from Serbia, which is really not that close to Russia and our language, although it might sound similar, is very different. Both Serbs and Russians are Slavs, but that's where similarities ends.

That's another conversation that I have with people on a daily basis - where is Serbia. I always have to remind people that its not very cold there (they think of Siberia) and that there is no war there (they think of Syria).

Taksomotor

I have a few Russian and Serbian friends, and yes, I agree they are very different. I dont think they like Putin. He turned Russia into one of the most corrupt states, he sells of Russia's natural resources only to benefit a small circle of his personal friends and servants, while the rest of the people are living at the level expected from a third World country. And if course he is a completely accomplished dictator by now.

DollarFree

I have a few Russian and Serbian friends, and yes, I agree they are very different. I dont think they like Putin. He turned Russia into one of the most corrupt states, he sells of Russia's natural resources only to benefit a small circle of his personal friends and servants, while the rest of the people are living at the level expected from a third World country. And if course he is a completely accomplished dictator by now.
It’s been clear what kind of ruthless maniac he is right from the start when he let the Russian submariners die rather than allow US/EU rescue teams save them.
I read a story about that well known Israeli billionaire Abramovich, how when the power brokers were deciding who would succeed Yeltsin, Comrade Chelsea was sent to interview Putin, gave him the thumbs up and hey presto Georgian, Crimean & Ukraine invasions and poison sprays in Woolworths all the way.
Post automatically merged:

This conversation started when a drunk pax asked me what I think of Putin. I honestly don't follow politics so I don't know much about him, so I answered that I read somewhere that living standards in Russia really went up when he became the president. I guess pax didn't like that answer since she started yelling how Putin is an evil man who murders journalists ... Luckily it was a very short ride.

To Americans, most of us from the eastern Europe sound the same. I'm from Serbia, which is really not that close to Russia and our language, although it might sound similar, is very different. Both Serbs and Russians are Slavs, but that's where similarities ends.

That's another conversation that I have with people on a daily basis - where is Serbia. I always have to remind people that its not very cold there (they think of Siberia) and that there is no war there (they think of Syria).
I remember passing thru the Serbian part of Yugoslavia in the 70’s, when I was but an antlet. We stopped for gas near Nis and my dad spotted the guy not resetting the pump to zero before filling up, he disputed this with the man and suddenly a Fiat’s worth of locals appeared to defend the thieving b/ds honour. Couple of them set about my Dad, whilst myself and my mom were being chased around the forecourt by the other 2. Somehow we all got back in the trusty Vauxhall Viva, made our escape and didn’t stop again till we crossed the border.
But I imagine the place has gotten nicer since then.

Last edited:

Syn

But I imagine the place has gotten nicer since then.
Nope, its actually much worse. Its still "kill or be killed". Great place to visit if you enjoy nightlife (I still claim that Beograd/Belgrade has the best nightlife in Europe), but not so nice to live in since unemployment and corruption are still pretty high. I usually go once per year for few weeks. It kinda allows me to "recharge my batteries" for another year of life in the USA and do things that I'm not able to do here in the USA.

As for Putin - he's a politician. Of course he's gonna be a ruthless maniac - just like any other politician in the world.