Worst Friday night

Bostonken

Last night I struggled to get two ping an hour especially during incentive time zone. I waited half hour from 10 pm to 10.30 to get lousy $4 job.
I waited on state street and all bars and restaurants were busy but no job. It seems mad rush of new drivers in recent weeks. It is reflected in this board with posts from new drivers . I made $95,84 for working five and half hours before gas and tolls. Very bad for such busy night. To my surprise no pool job to be find during incentive time zone to add my total ride. I opened pax app at 11.30 and there was no uber pool choice in the app. I wonder what is going on. Conclusion there is no money in uber X. All the guys preaching making $20 an hour are fraud. On some nights we are making less than minimum wage. Uber X lately has been waste of time and energy to earn pizza money. No cap on number of penny hungry new drivers. I noticed guys with late model BMW , and Mercedes ubering. I know we don't have uber select in Boston. It just show every body is on the road these days chasing Penny for piggy bank. No surge all night even with the Red Sox game.

Last edited:

jack badly

95 bucks after uber fee is a good day for me.. i drive a cheap ass 15k car so im all good about it..

Bostonken

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
$95 before gas and toll for Friday night is not acceptable. I had much better profit on Monday and Tuesday night. Beside I had couple half hour down time sitting in car.
. Thousands of drivers no students In Summer. Economic 101 the impact of supply and demand.

Last edited:

Bostonken

An update to this post. Started driving today Saturday at 3 pm in Boston and I only got 3 job until 4.30 and all the pings where exactly in my spot. This means thousands of drivers this weekend. Uber make it easier for guys with no money and credit to get into car and drive. Tough for veteran drivers. Taxis doing a better business than uber X drivers.
There is no guarantee in this gig. I truly believe many people will sign up to drive even for $8 to $10 an hour.

Bostonken

You did better than I did! I drove 5:30-11:30 in Boston and made $80.84 the night started out fast but slowed quickly.
Agreed. Earlier in the evening wasn't too bad but it got very ugly later at night during peak incentive hours.

BostonTaxiDriver

An update to this post. Started driving today Saturday at 3 pm in Boston and I only got 3 job until 4.30 and all the pings where exactly in my spot. This means thousands of drivers this weekend. Uber make it easier for guys with no money and credit to get into car and drive. Tough for veteran drivers. Taxis doing a better business than uber X drivers.
There is no guarantee in this gig. I truly believe many people will sign up to drive even for $8 to $10 an hour.
Yes, a bus I saw on Summer Street near South Station had an Uber ad on the rear for new drivers:

No car? We'll get you one. Or some similar terminology...for that new Uber Xchange program now in Boston with unlimited miles.

At least with the cabs, there's a cap to the number of medallions. Plus, many cabs now sit unused even on a weekend night, so less competition for me, and the owners have had to drop the rental rates; that's how I manage to survive.

It's about $20 on the meter from South Station bus to Neponset Circle without traffic. Couldn't imagine doing it for UberX prices.

Plus, I am getting the occasional yuppie recently who won't take Uber, who doesn't believe in it for whatever reasons.

Djc

Last night I struggled to get two ping an hour especially during incentive time zone. I waited half hour from 10 pm to 10.30 to get lousy $4 job.
I waited on state street and all bars and restaurants were busy but no job. It seems mad rush of new drivers in recent weeks. It is reflected in this board with posts from new drivers . I made $95,84 for working five and half hours before gas and tolls. Very bad for such busy night. To my surprise no pool job to be find during incentive time zone to add my total ride. I opened pax app at 11.30 and there was no uber pool choice in the app. I wonder what is going on. Conclusion there is no money in uber X. All the guys preaching making $20 an hour are fraud. On some nights we are making less than minimum wage. Uber X lately has been waste of time and energy to earn pizza money. No cap on number of penny hungry new drivers. I noticed guys with late model BMW , and Mercedes ubering. I know we don't have uber select in Boston. It just show every body is on the road these days chasing Penny for piggy bank. No surge all night even with the Red Sox game.
I made $105 in 4.5 hours yest night so yes over $20/hr only UberX. But I did see it being very slow (almost half hr wait with no ride request). I believe it is more because of the lower summer demand in conjunction with driver incentives rather than the small amount of new drivers.

Even if it looks busy outside Boston loses a 3rd of its normal population over summer as majority of student population is not in summer school. Also a lot of professionals are on the cape/RI/NH/Maine on the weekends. if you go to bars/restaurants and go inside you will see its not as packed as normal pre summer. Also people walk more in summer.

This weekend there are trip incentives for some, and hourly guarantees for some, and some have both. So lots of drivers out including drivers who would normally not work or work lyft or all 3 at same time - all just on Uber. And I can tell you whether u want to believe it or not but Uber's algorithms funnel requests to driver's on hourly guarantees, just like when you have a pool pass rider you will get endless requests for 2nd/3rd pick up (if peak hours) so Uber doesn't lose as much money. It's smart on their end but means if there are hourly guarantees and trip incentive during same time (Thur 10-12pm, Fri/Sat 10pm-3am) it will be a lot slower if not on guarantee. Its slow enough just during trip incentive hours.

Last edited:

Tcdriver

$211 for 10.5 hours on 4pm to 4am with a small break in there. Worst Friday I've ever driven. I'm waiting to see the incentive supplements $40/hour and extra cash for 30/40/50 rides etc.

Last edited:

Jerako

Hey guys , I had a slow Fri as well, but still averages OK with trip incentives , labor day right around corner, should be better for all. Hang in there.

scamp

Friday was dead for me from 7-11ish. Then I drove a PAX to Revere and was shocked to suddenly get ping after ping up there. Wonderfland T Station is a good place to hang out when Boston is overflowing with drivers. Try Somerville as alternative to hanging around Boston bars. There's a ton of UberPool users in Somerville which is good to qualify for the hourly guarantees and bonus incentives.

Luckily Saturday was much better as rain helped drive up some demand.

Djc

Luckily Saturday was much better as rain helped drive up some demand.
I love the rain (and the snow). 1st Sat night for a while where I've hit my typical Sat night earnings per hour that I expect if I'm going to work weekend nights.

jack badly

A good day?? SMH. Thats $17/hr before gas, maintenance and mileage depreciation of your car. Good luck
i have been getting 15 bucks/hour without surges during day time so 20/hour would be awesome for me. So in the night time, you have a higher expectation? I dont want to work at nights due to having to deal with drunks and driving in the darkness.

Last edited:

Djc

i have been getting 15 bucks/hour without surges during day time so 20/hour would be awesome for me. So in the night time, you have a higher expectation? I dont want to work at nights due to having to deal with drunks and driving in the darkness.
Let's say your gas expense is approx 10% of gross fares (people with hybrids it will be less, people who drive a lot of dead miles will be more) that means you are making $13/hr and that's before the cost of wear and tear items you will have to replace due to driving a lot more than if you didn't do Uber (short term expense), let alone the decrease in value of your care due to having high mileage (long term expense). As an fyi minimum wage is going to $12/hr next year.

$17-18/hr before expenses is the absolute minimum any driver should accept but $22-25/hr is realistically what smart drivers should set as their minimum pre expenses.

My expectation for weekend nights is $35- $40/hr average 8:30pm-2:30am before expenses, minimum $30/hr. To do this you need solid surge rides or a majority of surge rides (lower surge), or you need to hit the trip incentive bonuses or $40 hourly guarantees (really $30-32 after uber cut depending on your commission percentage).

All these numbers are net payout AFTER Uber takes their commission.

Golfermack

$17-18/hr before expenses is the absolute minimum any driver should accept but $22-25/hr is realistically what smart drivers should set as their minimum pre expenses.
How do you know what you'll make before you start out?

If after driving, you learn you made less, what can you do about it?

BostonTaxiDriver

Let's say your gas expense is approx 10% of gross fares (people with hybrids it will be less, people who drive a lot of dead miles will be more) that means you are making $13/hr and that's before the cost of wear and tear items you will have to replace due to driving a lot more than if you didn't do Uber (short term expense), let alone the decrease in value of your care due to having high mileage (long term expense). As an fyi minimum wage is going to $12/hr next year.

My expectation for weekend nights is $35- $40/hr average 8:30pm-2:30am before expenses, minimum $30/hr. To do this you need solid surge rides or a majority of surge rides (lower surge), or you need to hit the trip incentive bonuses or $40 hourly guarantees (really $30-32 after uber cut depending on your commission percentage).

All these numbers are net payout AFTER Uber takes their commission.
But Jack Badly will not drive late nights, so these figures you're touting are unrealistic for him -- only realistic for nights and late nights, right?

Basically impossible to hit for long stretches of hours in the daytime, especially if those hours include 10 a.m to 2 p.m. weekdays (slow hours) which are slow for cabs also.

Djc

How do you know what you'll make before you start out?

If after driving, you learn you made less, what can you do about it?
I don't but I can estimate based on history and time of day. When I drive I am constantly looking at earnings to see if its worth it for me. When it's too slow I turn apps off. I may try that time period 1 or 2x more if same result never drive during that time unless I see significant surge and I'm nearby and not busy with other things.

All im saying is that drivers should be more smart about what they are actually making, if it's too low don't drive. If most drivers did this the rates wouldn't have gotten this low or would increase.

Unless your uber part time no one should accept less than min wage earnings average per hour after gas/maintenance (not even going to include mileage for people who just want to use their car as a cash advance). If less than min wage is typical then those drivers should really be trying to find other work. If Uber/Lyft didn't exist, how would they make money?

I know summer is slower and to survive until its busy again some people will have to accept lower earnings than ideal.

Golfermack

Unless your uber part time no one should accept less than min wage earnings average per hour after gas/maintenance (not even going to include mileage for people who just want to use their car as a cash advance). If less than min wage is typical then those drivers should really be trying to find other work. If Uber/Lyft didn't exist, how would they make money?
I suspect there are many, many Uber drivers out there not realizing they are making minimum wage, or less, because they won't admit to themselves what their actual costs and depreciation are. They want to believe they are making more than minimum wage.

Djc

But Jack Badly will not drive late nights, so these figures you're touting are unrealistic for him -- only realistic for nights and late nights, right?

Basically impossible to hit for long stretches of hours in the daytime, especially if those hours include 10 a.m to 2 p.m. weekdays (slow hours) which are slow for cabs also.
No one should drive 10am to 2pm during week without incentives.

$18-20+ is norm for 4pm-11pm weekdays
$25+ is doable weekends during day depending on demand especially Sunday
$30+ is doable weekend nights 6pm onwards and morning rush hours, and thur nights when college is in session.

All these numbers are based on normal driver saturation and demand (meaning you see surge sometimes and get surge rides here and there). Will get lower if a ton of drivers trying to hit incentives (but incentives should counter balance to get the hourly back up) or if slow demand.