• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Working tipping to conversations to earn more money.

Uberdise

What is a good strategy to compel pax to tip or tip more?
I don't mean actually hinting at a tip, but hinting at the crappiness of pay which might earn one a better tip, or a tip if there wasn't going to be one.
It needs to come off as not being petty, a sob story, etc.
I've done 720 rides in 4 months. An extra buck from each pax (a dollar isn't much) would net me an extra $180 a month.

What is a good strategy to compel pax to tip or tip more?
I don't mean actually hinting at a tip, but hinting at the crappiness of pay which might earn one a better tip, or a tip if there wasn't going to be one.
It needs to come off as not being petty, a sob story, etc.
I've done 720 rides in 4 months. An extra buck from each pax (a dollar isn't much) would net me an extra $180 a month.
I like joking with my passengers about it. When I drove taxi I used to say...

"Somebody pay me... Everybody tip me!"

Now with uber you can adjust that a bit.. maybe to something like:

(Customer's name) paid me already so the rest tip me! Then laugh

Cary Grant

I have a tip sign. It recommends cash, but has alternatives such as Venmo and Zelle. It explains why tips are appreciated (a quick lesson in Uber/Lyft Economics). Before I put up a sign, I was getting about $20 per week, cash only (Uber didn't have a gratuity option back then). After the sign, tips run between $100 and $200 plus, per week. Almost all my tips are off app because of my sign.

WinterFlower

I have a tip sign. It recommends cash, but has alternatives such as Venmo and Zelle. It explains why tips are appreciated (a quick lesson in Uber/Lyft Economics). Before I put up a sign, I was getting about $20 per week, cash only (Uber didn't have a gratuity option back then). After the sign, tips run between $100 and $200 plus, per week. Almost all my tips are off app because of my sign.
Mind to share the "lesson"? Thinking about a sign but I don't know what to put on it

Cary Grant

Mind to share the "lesson"? Thinking about a sign but I don't know what to put on it
For privacy reasons, I don't share my exact sign, but I didn't buy it. I made it myself, printed it out at home, laminated it, and hang it in the back seat where everyone sitting back there can easily read it.

Just spell out how you get paid, what it costs to operate, etc.

For example, what percentage of your revenue do you spend on fuel and oil changes? What's your depreciation cost per mile? What's the opportunity cost of waiting? Every week I have pax that still think tips are included on Uber, or that we're driving cars owned by Uber/Lyft, or that Uber/Lyft pays our expenses, or that they subsidize a lease/rental or some other such bovine scat. I debunk all those myths and urban legends.

I've had two negative comments in over four years. The positive comments -- and the tips -- are in the thousands. At least a dozen Uber employees have ridden in the back of my car, and ALL of them said something positive about my sign.

I've edited my sign a lot over the years, and I'm sure I'll change it again.