• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Working it for tips 🤔

Some strategies you recommend?

• Perky, Upbeat

Votes: 19 37.3%
  • Relaxed, chill

Votes: 24 47.1%
  • Silent

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Low cut shirt 🤷‍♀️

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Flirt

Votes: 11 21.6%
  • One liners, funny

Votes: 17 33.3%

• Total voters

Cold Fusion

Post automatically merged:

Considering doing an experiment to see if I can get a lot of tips 🤔. Of course strategies will differ depending on factors. If I'm dealing with women, men, families. Ranging from flirting to killing with kindness. Any advice?
“Flirt” during daylight hours ✔
Families: focus on the kids. Mom appreciates it
same with dogs 🐕

Last edited:

Invisible

Sometimes it’s just a mystery. Yesterday, a guy was looking at his phone for most of the 12 min ride. When I saw he wasn’t playing with his phone, I made small talk for the last few min of the ride. He tipped me $7 in the app.

I’ve had other riders who’ve said this was an awesome ride, and they loved talking to me. But no tip comes. Just be genuine and be yourself.

Mkang14

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You have to read your audience. 90% of pax know whether or not they’re going to tip before the trip begins. Go with your gut on the 10% you might be able to influence.
I started an article in the sf section a few weeks back to see what people's average tips were and it was horrible! Looks like the bay has a tipping issue. Mine average is about 3 to 4 of 10 pax. But let's see if we can raise that 🤔

waldowainthrop

If you are experimenting make sure you have a control and a proper sample size. I don’t know if most markets are busy enough to do any serious qualitative research.

Every day of the job for me is completely different in who I am picking up when and where. I couldn’t possibly experiment and trust the results.

Cold Fusion

I started an article in the sf section a few weeks back to see what people's average tips were and it was horrible! Looks like the bay has a tipping issue. Mine average is about 3 to 4 of 10 pax. But let's see if we can raise that 🤔
Most expensive City in the USA.
Subsequently
Tipping a stranger you’ll never see again isn’t a priority ✔
👉Paying rent on a dumpy $2,700 a month Studio is a priority👍
Not everyone in SF is a tech billionair,
in fact most aren’t

kcchiefsfan1982

Considering doing an experiment to see if I can get a lot of tips 🤔. Of course strategies will differ depending on factors. If I'm dealing with women, men, families. Ranging from flirting to killing with kindness. Any advice?
I think no matter what you do (unless you go to the very extreme), every person has already made up their mind if they are going to tip before the ride even gets to them!! We will get tipped 40% of the time, give or take!!

UbaBrah

Hell I'd tip you just for being you, Mkang. You seem like a super cool lady. In any case, I think it's largely about a person's mood and your own relatability to the pax. Not much you can do to change that. 3 or 4 tips out of ten rides is perfectly fine/average.

FLKeys

I just be myself and read people, I tend to know when to talk, when to listen, and when to shut up. I let them lead conversations and act interested in what they are talking about. If I'm not familiar I show interest by asking questions. If I'm familiar with what they are talking about I give opinions that match their opinions and try to avoid not agreeing with them. Being in a tourist area I am often asked about restaurants, I make recommendations to the best restaurants in my opinion. Of course depending on what side of the island they are on the best restaurant is always on the other side of town. For the most part people like hearing what they want to hear.

My tip percentage based on my recording keeping is 50% of my riders tip. This year I have also been separately tracking riders that say they will tip me in the app. 53% of those riders actually follow through tipping in the app.

If you are driving for Lyft another technique is to manually rate the rider 5 stars about 4 hours after the ride ended if they do not tip you. This technique generally generates several late tips in Lyft as the PAX gets a notice that they were rated 5 stars by the driver. If no tip comes later you can always change the rating within 24 hours from the ride.

mch

Shit. Can I change my vote? I didnt see "low cut shirt" as an option the first time

Dekero

The best tip advice I can give is to always ask at the end of the ride for them to please RATE the experience because you would appreciate their feedback... as I've stated time and again on this message board I could care less about their feedback all I care about is that they see the Tipping screen witch pops up right after they RATE me....90% of the reason we don't receive tips is because the passenger doesn't open their app again for days if you can convince them to open their app when they are getting out of the car or sometime close to that chances are you'll get a tip and my tips have doubled and even tripled since I've started this habit on every single passenger....