1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Workers' rights meeting - Sunday @ 2

Discussion in 'Seattle' started by workingwa, Jan 12, 2018.

1. workingwa

workingwa New Member

Hey guys,

I'm the online organizer for Working Washington, the statewide workers' rights organization. We're working on getting better rights & benefits in the gig economy and I wanted to let you know about this chance to get involved!

On Sunday @ 2 pm, we're holding a meeting for all "gig economy" workers at the Queen Anne Library. We're coming together to talk about what the major pros & cons of app-based work are, what kinds of changes we want to see, and how we can fight for better policies.

To RSVP, you can use the form below or just comment here/PM me!

gig econ mtg typeform graphic for uberpeople.png

If you want to talk more about what we're doing & how you can get involved, I'd love to chat - just post here or PM me.

And if you want to help spread the word, please do so! You can share the info on social media, in other groups/forums, or with other gig workers you know.

Thanks & hope to see some of you there! Let me know if you have any questions or issues you want to bring up.

2. DexNex

DexNex Well-Known Member

I don't remember voting as a member of a bargaining unit to give you permission to represent me.

Yulli Yung, Rabankroll and jetcityx like this.
  3. workingwa

workingwa New Member

Hey sorry if I wasn't clear. We aren't a union and we aren't representing anyone - we are a political advocacy organization and our goal is to amplify workers' voices. That starts with hearing what workers want, which is what this meeting is about - a space for workers to come together & talk about what needs to change.

Stuff that has been discussed so far at these meetings includes advocating for portable benefits so ICs could get things like workers' comp & unemployment, pushing for better communication from the apps, speaking out about arbitrary deactivations, etc. Right now our goal is just to hear from as many workers as possible so we can start fighting for better policies that protect workers' rights in the gig economy.

Sirshoelaceman likes this.
  4. Travis Bickle Uber

Travis Bickle Uber Well-Known Member

Are you also a driver? Why your group? Uber drivers getting unemployment?! For when??

Yulli Yung likes this.
  5. mark_mark

mark_mark Well-Known Member

Just checked them out, I like this group! Something is better than nothing

Do you know if there will be parking?

Smashup likes this.
  6. workingwa

workingwa New Member

The portable benefits idea is essentially that companies that employ a bunch of ICs would pay into a fund that the ICs could use to access benefits - basically a way to make sure that if companies are using ICs to supplant regular employees, they still have to cover some of the basic costs employers are required to cover. That way, workers can get pro-rated funds to access benefits like healthcare, workers' comp, unemployment (if they're deactivated), retirement, etc. It's a solution that allows ICs to stay ICs but keeps companies from artificially dodging costs by shifting them onto workers.

I'm not a driver but I work for Working WA and support gig economy workers advocating for their rights. Our organization is all about improving workers' rights & benefits - we've worked on things like raising the minimum wage, getting paid family leave for parents & secure scheduling for workers in Seattle. Gig economy apps are becoming such significant employers in our state, we want to make sure workers on these apps are being heard & making progress when it comes to workers' rights too.

I don't think I can post a link because my account is too new but if you search "working wa gig" our page on workers' rights in the gig economy should be the second page that pops up!

Kodometer and Smashup like this.
  7. workingwa

workingwa New Member

Yes! I checked in with the library & there's a ton of free/unrestricted street parking on the blocks around the building.

Smashup and mark_mark like this.
  8. mark_mark

cool! if you could find the funds for pizza next time, everyone and their grandmam would show up

9. Dammit Mazzacane

Dammit Mazzacane Well-Known Member

10. workingwa

workingwa New Member

Good idea! I'll definitely order a couple pizzas for the meeting :)

That was a separate effort - not sure when it happened but before I was with Working WA. I've just started reaching out to gig workers in the last few months. The work we are doing now is focused on all "gig economy" workers who are classified as ICs, including food delivery people, dog walkers, cleaners, shoppers, etc.

My name is Emily but Sage is my boss!

mark_mark likes this.
  11. Martin Kodiak

Martin Kodiak Well-Known Member

How big is the meeting room at QA library? We only have a dozen voices here, and I bet the lurkers will continue to lurk for this meeting as well. Are you advertising in other venues? That is only two days from now, on such short notice, I think two pizzas will do. Retired Teamster, and think this industry does need some representation, but I think more organization will be needed to spread any word. I might show up just for ****s and giggles.;)

12. mark_mark

2 pizza?!?! dude, I could put down like 3 slices easy

13. Sirshoelaceman

Sirshoelaceman Active Member

I will be there!

14. DexNex

DexNex Well-Known Member

You know that answer is disingenuous. Either you can explain your connections to SEIU, or I can.

That is why I made my initial statement.

To my fellow drivers... tread carefully here. I don't think you know who you are dealing with.

Yulli Yung and jetcityx like this.
  15. heynow321

heynow321 Well-Known Member

figured it was something sketchy. Are these just teamsters masquerading as something else?

pro tip in life: No group "does good" on behalf of other (seemingly disconnected) groups without some kind of benefit for itself.

16. mark_mark

man! I was hoping for a free slice of Pizza! nothing is free in life

Yulli Yung likes this.
  17. Ribak

Ribak Well-Known Member

I”ll try to come. My car is scheduled for a tuneup so I will have to UBER to the meeting. Hopefully, I can get a ride back to Renton from a driver at the gathering. I will tip in the APP.

workingwa and Risab1981 like this.
  18. dimwit_driver

dimwit_driver Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Hmmm..... 2pm Sunday.... Pretty sure I'm overdue for a leg wax. Oh, and my bathroom seriously needs cleaning.

Famous last words.

19. Martin Kodiak

Martin Kodiak Well-Known Member

Hi Dex, You seem to have a lot of background on this situation, since I am very new I am playing catch-up on this (and most) issues.

Things you are not clearly saying but hinting at:

Teamsters 117 is actively working to become the bargaining representative of app drivers?
    You have been kind of clear about Seattle has already recognized T117 as the only organizer and so Working Washington is spinning it's wheels with this meeting tomorrow (Sunday the 14th)

When was the T117 designation by Seattle made?
    Are you the contact point for T117 and who is working on this? I am retired T117 and have some inroads there.
    What is does the current timeline look like?
    How does the general constituency feel about organizing?

You seem to have an issue with SEIU, and while I do not know much of them, so far they are not doing anything to harm anyone, but as pointed out above Working Washington may have no ability to affect any status at all.

I like this conversation and would like it to continue to it's end no matter what it ends up being.

20. dimwit_driver

dimwit_driver Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    I suggest you use the search function for "union" on this forum. This has been going on a very long time. For example, see this thread: https://uberpeople.net/threads/official-seattle-tacoma-union-discussion-thread.148784/