1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Featured Words....they're fun!

Discussion in 'Complaints' started by Julescase, Sep 6, 2018.

?
  1. You're guess is as good as mine. I mean YOUR guess

14 vote(s)
    10.9%
  2. Look over they're! There their they're there they're their

8 vote(s)
    6.2%
  3. Yes it matters because then comments make sense

64 vote(s)
    49.6%
  4. I don't need no stinkin' grammar

14 vote(s)
    10.9%
  5. Grammar nazis suck even though they're probably more successful

13 vote(s)
    10.1%
  6. I like ice creams

50 vote(s)
    38.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Please consider learning the difference between the following words.

They're (they are)
    Their (they posses something)
    There ( as in "there was a frog family sitting on their little lily pad and they're really cute." or "their sailboat is over there, in the harbor. They're planning on sailing to their summer house at noon.")

Your car (you posses it - it's yours)
    You're (you are)
    "You're going to your colonoscopy appointment this afternoon, aren't you?"

Would HAVE - not would OF ("I would have given one hundred dollars to be able to read some of the comments without developing a massive headache")
    Would've = Would have. There is no such thing as WOULD OF. It doesn't exist in the English language. "Would of" literally has no meaning. Please Don't type it.
    Should've = Should have. There is no term "should OF" in the English language. Don't use it. It doesn't mean anything.

Sorry to be such a *****y person right now but I seriously have a headache from trying to decipher some of the comments and it's unfortunate.

2. steveK2016

steveK2016

Driving:
    UberXL
    I don't expect much from others, this isnt a dissertation. As long as I grasp the concept of what they're trying to communicate, I dont care if they use they're, their or there.

I do appreciate periods and paragraphs though, just makes it easier to read.

3. Who is John Galt?

Who is John Galt?

Driving:
    UberX

Tsk, Tsk, Tsk.

Posses - the plural of the word 'posse' - a body of men or women summoned by a sheriff to enforce the law.
    Possess - to own or have in one's possession.

Sorry to be such an arsehole, Miss :(

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
  4. No, grammar and spelling don't matter; it's a site for drivers. Being able to string coherent sentences together is a win.

Having said that, I have been known to make fun of the more comical mistakes made on here.

5. Grahamcracker

Grahamcracker Moderator

Driving:
    UberX
    Don't (I don't like the taste of chalk)
    Doesn't (She doesn't like the taste of chalk)

Julescase and jgiun1 like this.
  6. Reading comments helps me to communicate with stroke patients.

7. Ribak

Ribak

This forum is a representation of drivers. Without a language proficiency requirement, bad grammar will ensue. If an English proficiency exam was implemented in my local market, the number of U/L drivers would drastically decrease. Taxi Cabs would see a 95% reduction.

Termie, SatMan, jgiun1 and 1 other person like this.
  8. Seamus

Seamus

Driving:
    UberX
    While its not an english class and some minor grammatical mistakes are to be expected and are not a bother when someone is really bad at it it makes them sound less intelligent and can even make their post or comment not understandable what really drives me crazy is when people use run on sentences because then it can be really hard to understand what they are trying to say especially in cases where their point is already pointless anyway sometimes even if they used proper english it would still sound like a basket case but there are definitely a few on here that don't use periods or ever start a new paragraph and that as i already said is a pet peeve of mine and i wish they would work just a little to try to change that otherwise an occasional misapplication of a word is tolerable

NoPooPool, Cklw, New2This and 11 others like this.
  9. 1.5xorbust

1.5xorbust

english should be capitalized.

10. I guess you will have to adapt and over come. Now that this is a third world county, think it will get any better ?

Now what will that be, Mint Chip or Rocky Road.

Hey wait a minute. Since your in that 3%, ( as per that other thread ), what the He!! are you doing here ? Begs the question.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
    jgiun1 likes this.
  11. Don't get me started on the use of "me," "I," and "myself."

12. MHR

MHR Moderator

13. Longest run on sentence ever, well done. :D

14. 1.5xorbust

1.5xorbust

I recommend that we dispense with all the dangling participles.

Michael1230nj, jgiun1 and MHR like this.
  15. HotUberMess

HotUberMess

I give leeway because I know not everyone’s been lucky enough to have a good education or grew up in an English speaking country but I am at the point where I see “passengers” and make a mental note that someone spelled it right for once lol

16. benson555zz

benson555zz

What yuo be talkin bout

jgiun1 likes this.
  17. This is a national problem. Spelling, grammar, vocabulary and writing proficiency are no longer stressed in schools and most writers are too lazy to check their work – including you, with the word possess.

J. Xephon and jgiun1 like this.
  18. sellkatsell44

sellkatsell44 Moderator

I would have thought run on sentences and paragraphs into essays would have been the number one complaint for headaches.

jgiun1, MHR, Cableguynoe and 2 others like this.
  19. IntrusDave

IntrusDave

I have found that the comments appear to have a direct correlation to the commenter's IQ. I simply ignore any comment that is less than 8 words, or any comment that is missing punctuation or has worse grammar than my 4th grade daughter.

20. jgiun1

jgiun1

The funniest I've seen is "replacing the breaks" multiple times posted here. I always laugh and think to myself, are the members joking around or really serious.

Shirley you can't be serious.

SatMan, GT500KR, Julescase and 5 others like this.