• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Women Driver Safety

LuLubella

As a woman, I feel compelled to implement measures to protect myself, even if that means I receive lower ratings because of it. I would hope Uber supports me in that regard. Some examples in this regard:

(1) Three drunk male PAX want a 10 mile ride at night to a remote, suburban location. Nope. I cancelled the ride.

(2) Flirty man wants to sit up front with me during ride. Nope. Please sit in back seat. (I prefer PAX to sit in back, anyway.)

(3) Men who want to discuss anything sexual/flirty receive one polite request to avoid such topics. Thereafter, they are warned that continued banter will result in end-of-ride, even if that means it ends on the side of the road, near a field.

(4) Receive ping from two men at strip club location. Nope. Cancelled ride.

(5) PAX couples who want to engage in anything beyond kissing receive a polite request to "keep it PG rated). Those who disregard my request risk being ejected from my car at any given location along the route.

Any feedback, especially from other women?

grayspinner

Only #5 on your list would bother me.

I don't mind pax sitting up front & will engage in friendly banter & a bit of flirting (I've got good skills on keeping this fun yet appropriate from my waitressing days).

I'll take people home to the suburbs & pick up folks from the strip clubs.

Of course, I live in a completely different area than you. My area is really quite safe.

In nearly 5 months & 800 rides I've not felt unsafe.

nickd8775

I'm a guy and I don't pick up guys at strip clubs. They are the worst passengers in general.
Watch the pax ratings. On weekend nights, don't pick up below 4.6 unless there's a surge.
If the flirty man who wants to sit up front is going to the airport, let him. In fact, everyone going to the airport should sit up front so you don't get a ticket.
Give a 1 star to every guy that flirts with you. We don't want those pax. They're going to give you 1 star if you don't sleep with them.
Carry a knife and pepper spray. Hope you don't have to use it.
Guys might give you their number or ask for yours. Consider exchanging numbers if you can do business with them, such as if they live far and need rides to the airport. Regular customers are great. Take their money (or their company's money) with a smile.

Last edited:

Another Uber Driver

I would hope Uber supports me in that regard.

(2) Flirty man wants to sit up front with me during ride. Nope. Please sit in back seat. (I prefer PAX to sit in back, anyway.)

(3) Thereafter, they are warned that continued banter will result in end-of-ride, even if that means it ends on the side of the road, near a field.

(5) PAX couples who want to engage in anything beyond kissing receive a polite request to "keep it PG rated). Those who disregard my request risk being ejected from my car at any given location along the route.
You would hope that "Uber supports [you]"? As we say on the stage, "break a leg". The majority of the outsourced CSRs will be unable to read and comprehend your explanation and will reply with non-answers that come from cue cards.

2. Try piling some newspapers, a cooler, books, anything on the front seat. If you have bucket or a split-bench seat, push the right front seat as far forward as it will go. Make sure that the flirty male passenger sees how difficult it will be for you to let him ride in the front. If he insists, insist that you will move neither seat nor stuff.

3. While I can not disagree with your doing an immediate discharge if you do not feel safe, there are a few problems that could come up.

A. A better strategy might be to play along until you can get to a "safer place". If you are on the freeway, and know that there is a gasolene station or a Seven-Eleven close to the exit ramp, get off, pull up and order him out. You will have witnesses to anything that he tries. There will be people who can call the police if he puts his hands on you.

If you are not on a freeway, but somewhere that there is no gasolene station or Seven-Eleven, but know that you will pass one soon, again, play along until you arrive at the place where there are lights and potential witnesses. I know that playing along is something less than pleasant, but, if you try to order him from your vehicle in a remote area, you are likely to be in trouble with no potential help available.

B. Over the past fifty, or so, years, not only the law, but private firms, as well, have taken a view that stresses the imagined "rights" or "privileges" of the wrongdoer, actual or potential, over the rights or needs of the wronged or potential wronged. Thus, despite your legitimate concerns, it is not impossible that Uber would stress your "violation" of its policy that you discharge a troublesome passenger in a "safe" place over your legitimate worry about being violated or assaulted. Mind you, Mademoiselle, I do not defend this, not by any means; I simply explain the situation. If for no other reason than if I feel that I am in peril, there is no CSR or even no prosecutor that has any right to tell me that my fears were unfounded or that any measure that I took to keep myself from bodily harm or any other harm was inappropriate.

5. See Number Three. In the case of this one, though, give them their warning. If they ignore it, let them do what they will. Odds are that they
are not paying attention as you exit the freeway. Pull up to the gasolene station, then interrupt them with a loud voice and order them from your vehicle.

One thing, when ordering them from your vehicle, do it once. If they balk, pick up your telephone and summon the police.

Watch the pax ratings. On weekend nights, don't pick up below 4.6 unless there's a surge.

If the flirty man who wants to sit up front is going to the airport, let him. In fact, everyone going to the airport should sit up front so you don't get a ticket.

Give a 1 star to every guy that flirts with you. We don't want those pax. They're going to give you 1 star if you don't sleep with them.

Guys might give you their number or ask for yours. Consider exchanging numbers if you can do business with them, such as if they live far and need rides to the airport. Regular customers are great. Take their money (or their company's money) with a smile.

Even if a surge, size up the less-than-4,6 as you pull up with locked doors. If you do not like it, cancel and drive away.

That depends on someone's tolerance for flirting. From her language, I gather that the Original Poster's ain't none too high. That is no complaint or criticism, mind you, simply an observation. Another thing is that it is not a good idea to accept trips off the TNC platform. As a rule, there is no insurance coverage and you could run afoul of local or state laws. While I do concede that the possibility of getting popped in a suburban subdivision is remote, if you keep it up, it increases the odds of getting popped. Further, Uber's computers will flag someone who keeps picking up the same person all the time.

If there is a high tolerance for flirting, letting him sit up front on the airport rides may earn a regular customer (with the above caveats), as odds are that since he has an aeroplane that he must board, he does not have time for too many "fun and games".

That is not unsound advice. The passenger is going to low rate you for not understanding that you just spurned someone that is so desirable that he puts ______________________to shame. In fact, I am wondering, myself, why Mr. Flirts has not appeared in any Hollywierd blockbusters lately, or ever, for that matter. You would think that he would have appeared in at least a French or Italian movie, or two.

The pepper spray may be allright, but I would shy from the blade, unless you know how to use it. Never carry or keep a weapon that you do not know how to use. The odds of the wrongdoer's getting a weapon away from you and possibly using it on you increase geometrically when you try to use a weapon that you do not know how to use.

MikesUber

Give a 1 star to every guy that flirts with you
Well damn that seems a little harsh. Pursuant, unwarranted, aggressive flirting after being warned should merit one but just because a person (man/woman) flirts you should not 1-star them.

Carry a knife
I would shy from the blade
Agreed, not a good idea regarding the knife. I wouldn't consider carrying one myself either. I do have pepper gel, that is a good idea.

piling some newspapers, a cooler, books, anything on the front seat
I always feel this is poor advice and I've seen this echoed here before. You are a driver and pax are paying for your seats. You are showing an unprofessional space and immediately cutting your occupancy down (unless you want to load everything in the trunk for larger parties). It's your business, however I feel this looks very novice.

LuLubella

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well damn that seems a little harsh. Pursuant, unwarranted, aggressive flirting after being warned should merit one but just because a person (man/woman) flirts you should not 1-star them.

Agreed, not a good idea regarding the knife. I wouldn't consider carrying one myself either. I do have pepper gel, that is a good idea.

I always feel this is poor advice and I've seen this echoed here before. You are a driver and pax are paying for your seats. You are showing an unprofessional space and immediately cutting your occupancy down (unless you want to load everything in the trunk for larger parties). It's your business, however I feel this looks very novice.

Frankly, I'm more concerned with my safety than my Uber rating or even the marginal income it generates. That said, I don't refuse the seat to everyone...just those who immediately appear disrespectful and/or obnoxious.

LuLubella

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm a guy and I don't pick up guys at strip clubs. They are the worst passengers in general.
Good feedback. Thanks.

nickd8775

"If there is a high tolerance for flirting, letting him sit up front on the airport rides may earn a regular customer (with the above caveats), as odds are that since he has an aeroplane that he must board, he does not have time for too many "fun and games"."

I meant to require people to sit up front on airport rides because you're less likely to get a ticket. But that's a side benefit of the requirement to not look like an Uber. Also, hugging your passenger will definitely keep the cops off your tail at the airport.

MikesUber

Frankly, I'm more concerned with my safety than my Uber rating or even the marginal income it generates. That said, I don't refuse the seat to everyone...just those who immediately appear disrespectful and/or obnoxious.
Safety first, tough thread to relate to when I see these. I'm a 28 year old male, 5'9 205lbs weightlifter. Stay safe out there and earn that surge $$$

Coachman

I used to be a Realtor and met several women who refused to do open houses because of the safety concerns. My feeling in that case was "maybe you're in the wrong business."

My sister thought seriously about Ubering but, in the end, she just couldn't come to terms with having a strange man in her car.

steel108

Most attacks on Uber drivers from what I have seen occurs when they are being kicked from the car.... might not be a good move on your part.

A better plan is to keep the convo casual while driving to the nearest police station. You are physically AND legally protected. You pass the burden of the passenger safety to the police. Check your local jurisdiction regarding your responsibility for the safety of your passenger, you might be in for a shock.

Finally, you not feeling comforatable with the conversation isn't a valid reason for dropping a rider off on the side of the freeway or busy intersection. Your number (3) will land you in jail almost anywhere if something happens to the rider

Fuzzyelvis

I don't know how the question was meant but it's actually not a completely stupid one. A hot 22 year old is going to have a lot more flirty annoying customers who want to put their hands on her than a 50 year old frumpy overweight woman is. Also as you get older you're generally better at the deflecting such sorts of things. You have a lot more experience.

Course the hot 22 year old will make twice as much in tips but I don't think I need that $3 a week that bad.

Last edited:

Fuzzyelvis

She's already a nervous Nelly and now you want her to carry a knife? So she can pull it out and wave it around and really get herself in trouble?

Last edited:

Kristr90

I am a female driver, the only time I ever had a problem was the night before Thanksgiving. A bunch of obnoxious drunk men, only had to take them a few miles but couldn't wait for them to get out of my car. I actually don't mind if people sit up front, actually makes for better conversation in my opinion. I have been lucky I guess.