1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Without Uber or Lyft, Austin Experiences Skyrocketing DUI Rates

Discussion in 'News' started by SibeRescueBrian, Jan 6, 2017.

1. SibeRescueBrian

SibeRescueBrian Moderator Moderator

Driving:
    UberX
    Thank you. I changed the wording of my post accordingly.

babaganoosh likes this.
  2. SCdave

SCdave Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Uber and Lyft made a business choice to abandon the Austin market. They could easily still be there working with the city government and the regulations that the local populace voted on as being important for their community.

But Uber and Lyft did not want to compromise.

Uber and Lyft were likely hoping that there would be higher DUIs and DUI related traffic deaths. But I could, of course, be wrong on this.

SibeRescueBrian likes this.
  3. SEAL Team 5

SEAL Team 5 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Livery
    Arizona DUI's were up a little over 5%. I don't think DUI's will ever go down. There will always be kids turning 21 thinking that they're invincible. Austin is allot like Phoenix with almost 100k moving here every year and being a very young, all year long party city. Most people will drink and drive until they get a DUI.

4. SmokestaXX

SmokestaXX Active Member

I spoken with people who live in Austin. Other rideshare companies have filled the void left by uber and lyft. However they say they aren't ad efficient or timely when requested. I find it strange since one would assume former drivers would be flocking to other providers. But I guess it is too segmented leaving riders&pax in a void to link up with each other.

5. observer

observer Moderator Moderator

I'd venture to say that cheap Uber/Lyft rides actually promote alcoholism.

6. LA Cabbie

LA Cabbie Well-Known Member

Oh please, most drunks I ferried from their favorite dive bars to home their meter cost was no more than $10. A DUI in LA is exactly 1000 times that.

7. Brooklyn

Brooklyn Well-Known Member

But Uber said they're dropping drunk driving but wasn't drunk driving related deaths at an all time high in 2016?

TwoFiddyMile likes this.
  8. yojimboguy

yojimboguy Well-Known Member

At close of bar time around here, there's often a 3x or 4x surge, so people heading out some distance are often charged 40 or 50 bucks.

9. sadboy

sadboy Well-Known Member

Makes no sense what so ever...
    Uber and Lyft have not been around that long. People who drive drunk still do, PERIOD. What did people do before rideshare?
    took a cab or brought a friend who would not drink.

Jermin8r89 likes this.
  10. CatchyMusicLover

CatchyMusicLover Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Before Uberlyft, there was a designated driver....with Uber lyft people got used to not having one. Ipso facto...

11. TwoFiddyMile

TwoFiddyMile Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Taxi
    Or in other words, Uber drivers subsidize peoples drinking problems.

babaganoosh and SibeRescueBrian like this.
  12. BurgerTiime

BurgerTiime Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    There's other app hailing companies there. If morons don't want to do the responsible thing and download alternatives or pre-arrange a car service, call a cab or designate a driver then idiots deserve the DUI.
    Nobody is forcing alcohol down their throats and making them party and get behind the wheel. Studies now prove that the DUI rates haven't been effected by Uber. In fact some areas report the number has gone up!

Sgt_PaxHauler likes this.
  13. phillipzx3

phillipzx3 Well-Known Member

An Uber in Portland (today) is 10 times the price of a cab. A 1 mile cab ride is less than 5 bucks. Uber is 30 bucks plus 5 for the first mile.

Tell us again how cheap Uber is compared to a cab? :)

Why do Uber drivers constantly brag of how little they're willing to work for? Why not just work for free and be done with it?

14. yojimboguy

yojimboguy Well-Known Member

Hmmm. as far as I can tell you're making these numbers up out of thin air. According to Uber's website, their minimum fare is $6 (75 cents more than where I drive.) and the mile rate is $1.15 (a nickel more per mile than where I drive).

If you're not making them up, where are they coming from?

15. ChortlingCrison

ChortlingCrison Well-Known Member

Exactly. Uber tried to convince a lot of people that it was kicked out.

16. ChortlingCrison

ChortlingCrison Well-Known Member

I heard there was a big flood there recently. Must have been quite a surge. I think most of the uber-ants work for free (losing money) and they don't even know it. Sad.

SibeRescueBrian and TwoFiddyMile like this.