Winning at Pool

Fast Times @ UBER

67E05F2C-E9F1-44D3-93FC-8782A5D437CA.png
but my cancellation rate is taking a beating. The coup de grace was a base pool drive off that was going to Baltimore from the Marriott Marquis at the convention center. Glad I didn’t get trapped in that non sense. Some may have been happy with that. I was satisfied with $3.75

Kawiz03

View attachment 163047 but my cancellation rate is taking a beating. The coup de grace was a base pool drive off that was going to Baltimore from the Marriott Marquis at the convention center. Glad I didn’t get trapped in that non sense. Some may have been happy with that. I was satisfied with $3.75
Whats wromg with DC to Bmore run it would have been 30-50 depending if the pax knows the area

LowIQCrazyMika

Whats wromg with DC to Bmore run it would have been 30-50 depending if the pax knows the area

Because it can be dead head miles back.
Since this post was made at 11.14pm I'll assume the trip occurred at 1.3 to 1.4x boost rate.

Not worth at all.
At least 2x is needed

Are we even enabled to pick up in Baltimore?

I've done a couple Baltimore trips but it seems there is either no demand or the DC market line is somewhere around Greenbelt.

LowIQCrazyMika

I've done a couple Baltimore trips but it seems there is either no demand or the DC market line is somewhere around Greenbelt.

You are, but only UberX, no POOL.

I did pick up one pax from Baltimore last month, and if you go to DF settings to select which type of trips you want, it will only say UberX.

I'm going to have to find a busy area next time and see this. Last time I did a trip, it was after an Orioles game. I had yet to set the DF and I hadn't gotten any call. Actually all of Camden Yards seemed to be active. I know it works at BWI because I got a call after dropping a pax off without going to the holding pen.

THE MAN!

Just an FYI. The dividing line between DC - Bmore markets is rt. 198 in Laurel. So when and if I'm attempting quest I'll put DF on just south of 198. Anything north of 198 doesn't count towards quest.

Just an FYI. The dividing line between DC - Bmore markets is rt. 198 in Laurel. So when and if I'm attempting quest I'll put DF on just south of 198. Anything north of 198 doesn't count towards quest.

I used Greenbelt as my reference since I drove back on 295 from Baltimore without a ping until I got to rt. 193. This was around 9pm iirc, 10 at the latest.

Upside

Once again the geo-fence of the DMV Territory that counts towards quest.

Attachments

• 04258BE3-C371-41FD-9D40-FBC9821F7BC8.jpeg
    04258BE3-C371-41FD-9D40-FBC9821F7BC8.jpeg
    94.8 KB · Views: 54

WaveRunner1

I used Greenbelt as my reference since I drove back on 295 from Baltimore without a ping until I got to rt. 193. This was around 9pm iirc, 10 at the latest.
I love your user name. That paltry degrading $3.75 net payout. Your username could easily be swapped for cheap hore.

View attachment 163047 but my cancellation rate is taking a beating. The coup de grace was a base pool drive off that was going to Baltimore from the Marriott Marquis at the convention center. Glad I didn’t get trapped in that non sense. Some may have been happy with that. I was satisfied with $3.75
This is how you win at Pool:

A) Don't drive for Uber
B) Proudly decline Pool requests
C) If accepting, immediately stop new requests. Often times Uber will lose money which is always satisfactory.

There's a considerable difference between how I treat X and Pool passengers. If I pull up and it shows 2 passengers for Pool I cancel and leave. I'm not going to deal with extremely cheap passengers who want things their way at the lowest price. I only accept Pool more often if I have a Quest I'm trying to reach which in the case of this week is a joke $50/28 rides meaning I won't be driving this week.

I love your user name. That paltry degrading $3.75 net payout. Your username could easily be swapped for cheap hore.

This is how you win at Pool:

A) Don't drive for Uber
B) Proudly decline Pool requests
C) If accepting, immediately stop new requests. Often times Uber will lose money which is always satisfactory.

Ha! I was going to originally name the handle "3.75_at_a_time" referring to both the rider no show fee after Uber takes its cut and the typical fare in the city. Besides, doesn't that number irk you? I personally hate seeing that after a 20 minute ride in the city but sadly our time isn't worth bowel movements to them. Just a measly $3.

If you follow step A, doesn't that negate steps B and C?

WaveRunner1

Ha! I was going to originally name the handle "3.75_at_a_time" referring to both the rider no show fee after Uber takes its cut and the typical fare in the city. Besides, doesn't that number irk you? I personally hate seeing that after a 20 minute ride in the city but sadly our time isn't worth bowel movements to them. Just a measly $3.

If you follow step A, doesn't that negate steps B and C?
Those aren't steps where if you decline you move to the next. They are individual options.

What about $1.87? That's the minimum net from a Pool ride in DC. When I was a new driver I used to pick up multiple Pool passengers. I remember once I had a pick up from downtown, it was 2 people, then another pick up, dropped off the 2nd passenger while the 1st couple remained then picked up a 3rd passenger near Catholic University so he can travel to a 7/11 two blocks away. After dropping him I finally dropped the first couple that got in. The whole operation took over 30 minutes. I netted less than $10 for the entire trip, with one rider paying just $2.50 (net $1.87). I got a 4-star rating from that trip too may I add. I made $35 that night grinding around DC. I was ready to quit that night. And by the way, 75% of 2.50 is 1.875. You'd think they could have rounded that up, since most mathematicians would, to $1.88, but no.

Those aren't steps where if you decline you move to the next. They are individual options.

What about $1.87? That's the minimum net from a Pool ride in DC. When I was a new driver I used to pick up multiple Pool passengers. I remember once I had a pick up from downtown, it was 2 people, then another pick up, dropped off the 2nd passenger while the 1st couple remained then picked up a 3rd passenger near Catholic University so he can travel to a 7/11 two blocks away. After dropping him I finally dropped the first couple that got in. The whole operation took over 30 minutes. I netted less than $10 for the entire trip, with one rider paying just $2.50 (net $1.87). I got a 4-star rating from that trip too may I add. I made $35 that night grinding around DC. I was ready to quit that night. And by the way, 75% of 2.50 is 1.875. You'd think they could have rounded that up, since most mathematicians would, to $1.88, but no.

I've been fortunate enough that I was sent and accepted pool during rush hour in DC back when I was the new driver. I have never experienced the $1.87 minimum pool fare. Usually the pools I accepted were trips traveling to extreme points. They were still ripoffs but I started out in a short term rental so every dollar counted. Since then I saved up to buy my own car out right. I almost made the mistake of financing one for the sake of having a car that would be on the platform for more than 7 years but in the long run it's better to get an older car, run it to 200,000 then get another one. Of course this put me in a place where I can't do Via because of the year limit on a car with cloth seats.

One of the first things I learned was not accept pool unless:

A: extremely desperate for quest (which I stopped attempting when I got to 70 rides for $80.)
B: DF on, attempting to make money on my way home. I've come to accept pool in my city is the norm. Cheap fornicators that know they won't get paired to get to their destination. Sadly I get short changed $5 or $10 because of it but in the grand scheme of things I basically got paid gas money to go somewhere I wanted to go. Better that than riding empty and having to pay my own gas.
C. High surge in high demand area. Nothing is more satisfying than the look on people's faces when they see another human that's not the driver in the car. The only thing even more satisfying is getting a pool call, being able to see the person looking for pool as you are getting the call, drive past them as they see your trade dress and let the call run out. I know high surge, 3 pax gets paid like a normal X at base fare and maybe a bit less, but it sure is pleasing making these folks reconsider pool when they're all awkwardly silent in the car trying to get to their destination asap.

WaveRunner1

I've been fortunate enough that I was sent and accepted pool during rush hour in DC back when I was the new driver. I have never experienced the $1.87 minimum pool fare. Usually the pools I accepted were trips traveling to extreme points. They were still ripoffs but I started out in a short term rental so every dollar counted. Since then I saved up to buy my own car out right. I almost made the mistake of financing one for the sake of having a car that would be on the platform for more than 7 years but in the long run it's better to get an older car, run it to 200,000 then get another one. Of course this put me in a place where I can't do Via because of the year limit on a car with cloth seats.

One of the first things I learned was not accept pool unless:

A: extremely desperate for quest (which I stopped attempting when I got to 70 rides for $80.)
B: DF on, attempting to make money on my way home. I've come to accept pool in my city is the norm. Cheap fornicators that know they won't get paired to get to their destination. Sadly I get short changed $5 or $10 because of it but in the grand scheme of things I basically got paid gas money to go somewhere I wanted to go. Better that than riding empty and having to pay my own gas.
C. High surge in high demand area. Nothing is more satisfying than the look on people's faces when they see another human that's not the driver in the car. The only thing even more satisfying is getting a pool call, being able to see the person looking for pool as you are getting the call, drive past them as they see your trade dress and let the call run out. I know high surge, 3 pax gets paid like a normal X at base fare and maybe a bit less, but it sure is pleasing making these folks reconsider pool when they're all awkwardly silent in the car trying to get to their destination asap.
I agree with you on the car part. When I started Uber my car was already 8 years old and hit rock bottom resale so I don't consider depreciation at all. I had the same problem with Via though, my car was too old. I'd still never buy a new car for rideshare. I'll buy a 3-4 year old car with poor resale value at most.

koyotemohn

I like about 3-5 uberpoop cancels per day. I actually do uberpoop and I look forward to the cancels. I will pickup people and they just cut a deal to get somewhere cheap. If. I dont have to wait then I will take them there. If I’m looking at metrics there are things that suck bigly about uberx as well. Even when the car is packed...I noticed that strangers act different than people familiar with each other in one shared space. I cringe every time 3-4 people help themselves into my ride paying the same bill as one person coming along.

I ended the day being out in college park and took a pool that ended up in Georgetown. 27 outta 30 on quest. 28,29,30...$14 + $50 for quest....

A few of them tipped. Two extra dollars per pool helps even the bite. Uberx is just not competitive in regards to take home pay.with poop u have the cancel and quest in the event you have short trips.