• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Will You Drive for $.90/mile and $.15/minute?

Will you continue to drive for $.90/mile and $.15/minute?

• Yes - Same hours

• Yes - Reduced hours

• Yes - Surge Only

• No - Done Ridesharing

• No - Driving exclusively for competitor

Results are only viewable after voting.

MikesUber

Pittsburgh, PA

Base Fare:

Previous: $1.50
Current: $1.20 (20% cut)

Per Minute:
Previous: $0.20
Current: $0.15 (25% cut)

Per Mile:
Previous: $1.20
Current: $0.90 (25% cut)

ss.png

Zeppelin77

I definitely will be driving less. I'm not sure if I'm more mad about the cut or the manner in which they insult our intelligence by saying the cuts will increase earnings. It will take a surge of at least 1.4X to to equal the same money for a ride prior to the cuts.

I really like driving in general, and driving for Uber was a a great way to make decent money when I was bored or off from my day job. Now I can't even say I'll drive late night on weekends for $11 a hour after Uber's cut and expenses. It's not worth losing sleep and risking an accident or someone puking in my car for joke rates. At least before there was some hope of making $25+/hour late night but not anymore.

(End of rant)

musthavit4

I have chosen to stop driving (keeping my account active) until rates seem somewhat normal again. If they don't then I will deactivate my account and drive for LYFT or not at all haven't decided yet. I think as drivers we should show Uber that their lowering of rates is unacceptable. The way we do that is drastically reduce the amount of driving we do for them or stop driving completely. Will this raise rates? Probably not but it shows that we matter and heck who know they might actually listen. If we do nothing, nothing happens.

Driving for $10-$12 an hour isn't worth the time or wear and tear we put on our vehicles, and frankly it's a pathetic amount to earn while we take most of the risk with our own vehicles. If this is what you rely on primarily for income then do what you have to do and good luck driving more for less!

MasterKNinja

Looking at my data for Uber from November & December that I entered into a spreadsheet:
Median distance per trip: 3.39 miles, Median time: 9.29 minutes. I'm using median and not average (mean) because the 4 one hour long airport rides I gave in that time period skew my data to make Uber rates look better than they are. Those type of fares are uncommon.

So under previous rates my average ride was $1.50 (base) + $5.09 (3.39 miles x $1.20) + $1.86 (9.29 min x $0.20) = $8.45 less fees (20%) = $6.76

Under new rates my average ride would have been $1.20 (base) + $3.05 (3.39 miles x $0.90) + $1.39 (9.29 min x $0.15) = $5.64 less fees (20%) = $4.51

That's 33.3% less earnings on my average ride.

It's a basic principle of microeconomics that lowering price does increase demand, but here's the thing: I drive during peak demand periods (Fri & Sat nights) when there is very little downtime between pings, so an overall increase in demand for Uber doesn't do me any good because I can only do 2–3 rides per hour anyway, depending on the length of the ride & how long I'm waiting outside for the fare to show up. So for me, it's just a pay cut. So is Uber lying here? Probably not. In aggregate, if you look at all the drivers and all the fares in a marketplace 24 hours a day, 7 days a week over a given time period, there probably is an overall increase in revenue after price cuts catch on with customers, but that's in aggregate only, spread across all drivers.

One thing I've tried successfully during guaranteed fare periods is a 'hit 'n run' approach. Do the absolute minimum to meet the guaranteed fare requirements. If it's one ride per hour, I'll complete a ride then drive up the highway to a less populated low demand area until the next hour. Makes for a boring night, but I'm not beating the shit out of my car on cobblestone roads & almost getting my door sheered off by a bus on South Side when someone gets out without looking.

But to answer OP's question, this week I'm mounting my Lyft mustache & rather than take whichever pings 1st, I'm driving Lyft unless Uber is surging or I'm waiting more than 20 minutes for a ping & catching an Uber fare will put me in another part of town.

Last edited:

MikesUber

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It will take a surge of at least 1.4X to to equal the same money for a ride prior to the cuts.
Exactly, Pittsburgh we need a 1.4x to equal $1.26/mile which is roughly the $1.20/mile that we were getting prior to Friday's cuts.

I love(d) driving as well, especially pre-snow, my Caliber would be spotless inside and out, I installed awesome 6000k white LED interior lights, Silverstar Ultra headlights and I continue to use all the accessories (floor mats, seat covers, water, dashcam). I still really enjoy the actual job of driving, but like I've said elsewhere I love it much more on Lyft who's paying me $1.20/mile for the time being. That and Lyft pax are much more relaxed.

Like another user said I was surprised we didn't have to "agree" on the Partner App to the new rates. I noticed after checking the pax app and saw the promo pop-up.

MikesUber

drive for LYFT
Good idea, at least for now they're keeping $1.20/mile but I don't think that will hover there for long. I've heard they mirror Uber give/take a month delay. Btw $200 sign on bonus if you haven't signed up yet.

drastically reduce the amount of driving we do
I was encouraged when logging on last night to see about 5 drivers in the entire central city area. Instead of displaying 6 drivers in the immediate vicinity Uber showed only a few in the entire city area. GREAT job Pittsburgh, perhaps others are staying offline because of these weak rates, I know I did! I took three Uber rides last night and waited for surge of 2.0x or higher. Guess who got my logged hours, LYFT!

risk with our own vehicles
Especially when we get snow like this, I have new winter tires (highly recommended to anyone, almost a must) but it does affect my driving because I'm going to take less rides/hour just because of the fact that I'm driving slower. Oh by the way a police officer ALMOST hit my car as I was going through a green light on a side street in Shadyside. Came flying through with his lights on. Heard no sirens however, inches away as I slammed on my breaks.

Also everyone please be very careful through blinking yellow lights, I've seen multiple cars slam on breaks and another near miss as drunks and lazy drivers do not yield on their blinking RED (treated as a stop sign). I flash my brights before traveling through my blinking yellow or treat it as a blinking red just to be safe.

MikesUber

nope, I wont be driving for Uber, can't believe they would insult us, wow. This is Lyft opportunity to expand in this market
It really is, I was logged on to Lyft exclusively for 90% of my night last night.

SamD

Aaaaannnd here comes Lyft following Uber's footsteps. I've stopped driving for these evil companies long time ago.

All I can say is how sorry I am for those who actually can't stop driving due to buying new cars to just do Uber, or at the time its their only income source.

MikesUber

Aaaaannnd here comes Lyft following Uber's footsteps. I've stopped driving for these evil companies long time ago.

All I can say is how sorry I am for those who actually can't stop driving due to buying new cars to just do Uber, or at the time its their only income source.
Holy sh*t when did that happen?! Must have been today b/c I was driving at 1.20/mile last night. WOW. Yes talk about pathetic, and I thought they would treat us better.

https://www.lyft.com/cities/Pittsburgh

Cancel Penalty $5.00
Cost Minimum $4.00
Cost Per Mile $0.91
Cost Per Minute $0.16
Trust And Service Fee $1.55
Airport Fees ‡Varies

uberdriverfornow

When will a goverment of any sort take up the action of investigating these two companies for antitrust violations ?

The only reason they are lowering rates is cause they colluded together to institute that bs Safe Rider Fee to circumvent the commission structure to ensure they are always making money no matter how low the base rate goes.

MikesUber

When will a goverment of any sort take up the action of investigating these two companies for antitrust violations ?

The only reason they are lowering rates is cause they colluded together to institute that bs Safe Rider Fee to circumvent the commission structure to ensure they are always making money no matter how low the base rate goes.
Kind of seems like that, I can't say for sure but these lowered rates are killing our profits, not theirs. I used to have solid nights out there, not I can just hope for "okay" nights.

it'sjustme

I have chosen to stop driving (keeping my account active) until rates seem somewhat normal again. If they don't then I will deactivate my account and drive for LYFT or not at all haven't decided yet. I think as drivers we should show Uber that their lowering of rates is unacceptable. The way we do that is drastically reduce the amount of driving we do for them or stop driving completely. Will this raise rates? Probably not but it shows that we matter and heck who know they might actually listen. If we do nothing, nothing happens.

Driving for $10-$12 an hour isn't worth the time or wear and tear we put on our vehicles, and frankly it's a pathetic amount to earn while we take most of the risk with our own vehicles. If this is what you rely on primarily for income then do what you have to do and good luck driving more for less!
I agree, I am ashamed of Uber and plan on driving less and less unless they stop this nonsense...

ScUber

Not to lessen the impact of the lower fares in your area, but other markets (mine) with a higher cost of living than Pittsburgh, just had rates lowered to .75/mile and .13/minute. Gas is more expensive in my area than yours as well. Last year when they cut my market by 40% they said it was "temporary". Not only did they not raise the rate again, they cut it again this January. So don't shoot the messenger, but your fares may take yet another dip. Drivers do have the power to end this nonsense if only they hung together. They have the power to decline any fare that is not a surge. In my case, the surge must be close to 2x times to make what drivers were earning just 19 months ago.

DON'T QUIT. HIT DECLINE (or Cancel/ Other) until you get the surge rate you want. No Drivers = Higher rates. You have the power.

MikesUber

Not to lessen the impact of the lower fares in your area, but other markets (mine) with a higher cost of living than Pittsburgh, just had rates lowered to .75/mile and .13/minute. Gas is more expensive in my area than yours as well. Last year when they cut my market by 40% they said it was "temporary". Not only did they not raise the rate again, they cut it again this January. So don't shoot the messenger, but your fares may take yet another dip. Drivers do have the power to end this nonsense if only they hung together. They have the power to decline any fare that is not a surge. In my case, the surge must be close to 2x times to make what drivers were earning just 19 months ago.

DON'T QUIT. HIT DECLINE (or Cancel/ Other) until you get the surge rate you want. No Drivers = Higher rates. You have the power.
I'll take the California weather though lol but yeah ScUber I see what you're saying. I think we have a little bit to go before we're saturated enough to see another decrease but as we're seeing nationwide it's a race to the bottom. I'm like you I wait for surge now; we need a 1.4x to equal the $1.20/mile we were getting last month. I used to be able to fall back on Lyft but of course they lowered to $.91/mile.