Will these long pings ever end?

LevelX

This is all this mornings pings that I let go by.... Mind you this was all within the first 2 hours of starting. There had been a couple more, but in the end, I was just 'over it'.

1.png
2.png
3.png
4.png
5.png
6.png
7.png
8.png
9.png
10.png

Last edited:

LevelX

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
One more

11.png

Oh and while I'm at it, it seems Uber really hates that driver in this non surge area! Come on, give the person a break!

Screenshot.png

Last edited:

LevelX

Simple formula of supply and demand
:/ supply and demand is normally related to price aka the surge model.....

but as you say if pax demand is high and driver supply is low, then drivers can pick and choose a bit more. Should I now lower my ping eta window to 5 mins instead of 10 mins for the burbs?

Tom2828

As long as stupid drivers will pick them Uber will extend the ping time.

Got ping from Albert park to Advise Vale at 5 am

WTF ?

LevelX

Got ping from Albert park to Advise Vale at 5 am
I got one to collins st while I was at the top end of docklands..... WTF!? How can I be the closest driver, the ETA was 7 mins non surge!

But yes, as long as drivers accept them, they will keep pushing them. I have a 10 outer burbs limit, that will go up for a surge of course :wink:

joffie

Uber Melbourne office are simply useless. I noticed this week nice surge in East so drivers getting message. I got a ping 12 min away from that stupid lady who keeps requesting and cancelling.
One day I will accept the job, drive to her and cancel as I arrive :biggrin:

LevelX

I had a few cancel on me today for being too far I'm guessing. One was a surge just over 10 mins. A few others had been 8ish mins.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Homebrand Taxi

I can only assume that these are a result of requests being pinged on by drivers who are online at the time and are waiting closer to the request for a surge to hit. Either that or it is designed to create a 'self-generated' low acceptance rate, leading to suspension of account.

LevelX

I can only assume that these are a result of requests being pinged on by drivers who are online at the time and are waiting closer to the request for a surge to hit.
Surge in the burbs is RARE in the morning. You could be waiting hours and not see it. So not sure.

Plus a driver can let as many jobs as they like 'ping out' now based on the new policy, so you'll be ok in that department.

As for drivers? Well I took this screen grab a few days ago @ 6.21am. As you can see, there is a bucket load of drivers 'missing' if the pax app only shows the 10 closest cars!

I'm pretty sure that Bundoora driver is complaining as much as I am about getting 'long' pings to suburbs far far away in another galaxy basically!

Why is there no surge if there are no drivers in that area?!

Screenshot_2016.png

LevelX

deliberate in what way? Why would Uber want long pings? Its bad for drivers, bad for riders, and bad for Uber being a fast, on demand service!

sporadic

For all you know, most of the cars on the map have their destination filter on. So they're online but they won't get the ping if their filter isn't going in the pinger's direction.
Surge in the burbs is RARE in the morning. You could be waiting hours and not see it. So not sure.

Plus a driver can let as many jobs as they like 'ping out' now based on the new policy, so you'll be ok in that department.

As for drivers? Well I took this screen grab a few days ago @ 6.21am. As you can see, there is a bucket load of drivers 'missing' if the pax app only shows the 10 closest cars!

I'm pretty sure that Bundoora driver is complaining as much as I am about getting 'long' pings to suburbs far far away in another galaxy basically!

Why is there no surge if there are no drivers in that area?!

View attachment 49119

LevelX

For all you know, most of the cars on the map have their destination filter on. So they're online but they won't get the ping if their filter isn't going in the pinger's direction.
What cars on the map!? (see above) Its near empty!! (and you do still show up on the map with a filter enabled, I've tested it)

sporadic

Ah LevelX I get what you mean. In your case I guess maybe Supply > Demand so it doesn't surge? But the more drivers ignore the long ping, the more likely the pinger's spot will start surging methinks.

Homebrand Taxi

deliberate in what way? Why would Uber want long pings? Its bad for drivers, bad for riders, and bad for Uber being a fast, on demand service!
Decline too many and the result could be deactivation. Therefore, prioritise longer pings to drivers who've been in the game longer and that is what might happen. Maybe that is just paranoia on my part. The problem is that given that trust in Uber by any driver who has been doing it longer than this week is zero, such paranoia starts to look like a reasonable conclusion.

sporadic

Let it time out, they can't deactivate based on acceptance rate. They can deactivate based on cancellation rate though.
Decline too many and the result could be deactivation. Therefore, prioritise longer pings to drivers who've been in the game longer and that is what might happen. Maybe that is just paranoia on my part. The problem is that given that trust in Uber by any driver who has been doing it longer than this week is zero, such paranoia starts to look like a reasonable conclusion.

joffie

Are you even a uber driver homebrand or a taxi driver?

I have been driving since last year. I know how to play the game. It is harder but certainly you need to hurt uber where it hurts most.