Will T.O. city council pass friendly Rideshare regulations on May 3?

Will T.O. city council pass friendly Rideshare regulations on May 3?

• yes

Votes: 16 48.5%
  • no

Votes: 11 33.3%
  • maybe

Votes: 6 18.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Uberweekenddude

So now we are asking to get a sign to put in car for PAX to go online and sign petition. I say UBER just stand strong and pay off the voting politician. They would love your cash, all politicians are crooks. Just offer them free UberX rides

Actionjax

My inside sources say the vote will be very tight. Many are playing their decisions close to their chest. It's all down to the fence sitters. Get out and speak to you counsellor if you can. Tell them how you feel. And as always be honest with them.

Uberweekenddude

Please Actionjax, are you serious? It will come down to how much Uber will bride the counselors

It is the only way.

You see how the counselor's spend the tax payers money. Expensive meals, limos etc etc. Ford was calling these @@@@ers out for years. Its all corrupt, Uber needs to take a little of the $50 Billion they have and put a few G's in their fat pockets and then we continue with the better way to get around for PAX's

Smart, simple, bribery solutions

That is the way things go down

Actionjax

Please Actionjax, are you serious? It will come down to how much Uber will bride the counselors

It is the only way.

You see how the counselor's spend the tax payers money. Expensive meals, limos etc etc. Ford was calling these &%[email protected]!*ers out for years. Its all corrupt, Uber needs to take a little of the $50 Billion they have and put a few G's in their fat pockets and then we continue with the better way to get around for PAX's

Smart, simple, bribery solutions

That is the way things go down
Sorry but you watch way too many movies. In the day of transparency you can't take bribes like you used to. Old Jimmy K found that out when he took money from the Taxi industry. Oh ya it was completely legal.

Superduber

Sorry but you watch way too many movies. In the day of transparency you can't take bribes like you used to. Old Jimmy K found that out when he took money from the Taxi industry. Oh ya it was completely legal.
And you don't watch enough real world. There is a reason people say "Real life is stranger than fiction", movies don't come close to touching real life.

Bribery is no longer simply passing an envelope full of bills, people are so much more creative and do it in very legal ways:
-"Future payment" for service rendered now: i.e. being added to the board of directors.. you know... let me add you to the board of company X that I somehow control/influence, but I know you know nothing about running say an airline, of which said company is going to place billions of orders in aircrafts (of course this situation is fictional and should not be mistaken with the Airbus affair).
-Or how about wanting to start up a central heating/cooling system in a city that needs to draw water from a lake and needs to run pipe underground all over the city and needs to cut through lots of city red tape/regulation? How about lets put the city councilor in charge of setting up the rules as the future CEO (of course this situation is fictional and should not be mistaken with Enwave in Toronto).
-Or the very subtle guy that shows up at your cottage and does some "minor" renovations, which you never asked for
-Or somehow your child qualifies for a scholarship that some random company setup
-Or you being able to buy some property at below market value, after all you are a great negotiator and the owner needed to sell quick
-Plus you forget that in many parts of the world bribery is a legitimate expense (note it is only an OECD recommendation that bribery should not be a legitimate expense), and i'm not talking about 3rd world countries. In many OECD countries this is allowed (France, Germany...), of course you need to document to expense, but I guarantee you the accountants/lawyers know how to hide this.
-Have you been watching anything of the "Panama Papers"? Money somehow secretly ends up in a numbered account in a tax haven.

Not to mention wine & dine, and all those ridiculously priced pro sports tickets and super expensive restaurants in Toronto that the rest of us don't get to expense, but I think I should look into expensing that against my Uber income, I could actually say Uber once during the game and say we discussed business.

biozon

That is true. The days of "envelopes" are long gone. In fact, an authority figure would be plain stupid to accept the bribe in this or similar fashion. But there are indefinite number of other legitimate ways (not even grey area ones) to give and accept a bribe. And that indefinite number of ways multiplies to the number of trusted relatives and friends who can accept some favours as bribes as well.

Yes, there are decent people out there, but it's politics. It's almost impossible to avoid getting dragged into dirt one way or another.

Superduber

And that indefinite number of ways multiplies to the number of trusted relatives and friends who can accept some favours as bribes as well.
Exactly! And I didn't even mention other very visible things like political donations to campaigns, and once you're out of office with your golden pension come look me up I need a lobbyist... If anyone thinks bribery is not going on, careful out there, don't be so innocent... and I'm sure an offshore company can easily open an account in one of the innumerable tax havens for a specific beneficiary (please don't mistake this offshore company for Uber, this is all hypothetical, I'm not insinuating anything here).

But I would like the option to do this gig until fully autonomous cars arrive, so lets all do this legitimately, please go get your Uber support signs. :smiles:

Actionjax

Superduber some very good points. I just don't believe this is their full strategy. They have public opinion on their side. That speaks volumes and its well documented they have used the public to push their point home. They have turned public citizens into advocates. That is better than any greasing the wheels.

In fact no city counselor will even step foot on an Uber facility to look at their operations...even when the invitations have been made.

Superduber

Ok, just 2 more "greasing" stories, because they are so much fun, then I'm done on the "greasing" topic...
1) We will just say someone I know got busted for speeding. You know the kind where they say you really don't need to drive that sports car anymore... well he called one of those "retired cop" shops and they simply asked him how bad he wanted his problem to go away. Lets just say their fee in no way seemed to match their effort of fighting a ticket in which a cop was somehow tied up with something else and didn't show up in court. Case dismissed...
2) Even in 3rd world countries you don't pass envelopes with money anymore. My coworkers from India tell me that from where they are from, when you go to the courthouse, the guy that can make things disappear will simply tell you that he is thirsty and would like a tea. He tells you what kind of tea he wants, you go to the corner tea house and buy the tea that he wants. Whereby you'll notice the tea you ordered is very expensive, but your "problem" also disappears.

City councilors do not need to go anywhere near Uber facilities for nice things to happen to them or family. We'll find out soon enough how much Uber really wants to do business in Toronto. :rolleyes:

PS. One addendum/edit to story #1, this so called acquaintance boasted that he also got a receipt so that he could write off his "legal" costs as a business expense. I'm too innocent to know/figure out how that happens, it could be he was just blowing a tall tale, but I think under the truth serum of a few beers, his lips were loose and he told the truth. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

onelanka

Good points by superduber. I was surprised how corrupt and wasteful politicians are in Canada. Not much different to politicians in the Third World. The stuff the Canadian politicians get away with is mind boggling. Hardly anyone gets caught; just like in the Third World.

babalu

My inside sources say the vote will be very tight. Many are playing their decisions close to their chest. It's all down to the fence sitters. Get out and speak to you counsellor if you can. Tell them how you feel. And as always be honest with them.

Be honest like uber or be honest like MAN

Superduber

Sorry I lied, a couple more "greasing" doosies... can you tell I am worked up about the way politics works here? Or shall I say doesn't work here?
-Trudeau campaign advisor giving lobbying advice to pipeline company.
-Trudeau brother lobbying liberals not to deport terror suspect.

Come on Uber, time to hire a well connected lobbyist to grease the system. Said lobbyist should preferably be a family member or close friend of a councilor whose vote that needs to be swung pro Uber and of course can't forget family and friends of the mayor himself. (sarcasm here, but unfortunately the way it works)

Last edited:

uber fooled

I like the proposed regs just as they are now, uber,taxi and toronto have given up some ground.It is impossible to please all parties %100.A little compromise here from all sides is needed to keep things moving.I do not think the city is is being unreasonable by asking for 7 year vehicle model.They want to keep the image of there city one of wealth and prosperity.Also taxis have paid millions in fees through the years.Uber should be willing to suck up a few fees here and there.So i will support the proposed regulations.

Actionjax

I like the proposed regs just as they are now, uber,taxi and toronto have given up some ground.It is impossible to please all parties %100.A little compromise here from all sides is needed to keep things moving.I do not think the city is is being unreasonable by asking for 7 year vehicle model.They want to keep the image of there city one of wealth and prosperity.Also taxis have paid millions in fees through the years.Uber should be willing to suck up a few fees here and there.So i will support the proposed regulations.
If a 5 year old taxi looks like crap. What do you think a 7 year old one will look like.

Uberweekenddude

I went for the sign after my full time job ended at 3:30pm and I drove to Scarborough at 3660 Midland, not 2 minutes before I arrived an email came out that signs were not available. They were not prepared for a few hundred dedicated Uber drivers to show up LOL
I went in to check it out and there were at least 90% east Indian people standing around and looking for that free coffee and donuts. I got out of there quick, or I might of lost a finger or two as the crowd looked pissed off
Maybe this summer if Uber is still around, Uber can do a barbecue and forget the @@@@ing donuts LMAO

erexa

one of my buddies driving for uber for few months only in his brand new car and the car already has 38K on it, he will drive 300K in 2-3 years easy, imagine that car in 7 years ...