Will I Have to Physically Go to an Uber Office to Get Information Before Signing Up?

circle1

Hello Seattle UberPeople,

So, I've begun due-diligence before going into the TNC driving business. The Uber website is a total monolith, no phone number, no real information about particulars. So, any advice about getting information?

BTW, really appreciate this website and the very RICH amount of information!

THANK YOU!

Shangsta

The best way to get info is to ask on here. I learned more in 30 minutes here then I did sending hundreds of emails to their outsourced support people in India.

circle1

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you . . . the amount of information I'm seeking is large; . . . types/classes of service (X, XL, black, select . . . ?)?, what types and ages of vehicles qualify for what level?, technicals of the apps we use (do they do any training)?, do we get to see any parsing of data on averages on pax or anything else that helps us go about our business intelligently?, do they give us some sort of manual so we know what's not allowed?, do they hold any kind of "open house" for the curious?

I've read the book, "Raw Deal" and the chapter about Uber has prepared me for the realities of Uber, so have all the comments on this site.

https://kcls.bibliocommons.com/item/show/1521932082_raw_deal

Dammit Mazzacane

OK:
1) What type of vehicle do you drive? Is it a luxury car? Is it an SUV or minivan? (Do not announce make/model) The limit is 2006 and up for basic Uber.
2) They do offer some training through the app. The Uber TOS offers some guidelines and rules.
3) The closest to data on pax available is surge, which at least gives some info that pax are looking for rides. We are blind to the destinations that each pax wants to go.

Godric

I never do emails with them anymore. Instead of being frustrated for days by all there senseless canned responses I go right to the source. If the person doesn't give me the answer I'm happy with I ask for a supervisor. 99% of the time I get the answer I'm looking for.

Sometimes you need to sit and wait a bit...But its interesting to sit there and see what they are onboarding and listen to the crap they are telling the new folks.

As far as leasing on...Read the board...If you sign on hold on tight and try it out.

90% can't figure it out and leave after a few months.
5% can't figure it out and stay anyways.
5% of us figure it out and do pretty good.

Riding around empty is negative income.

circle1

Sometimes you need to sit and wait a bit...But its interesting to sit there and see what they are onboarding and listen to the crap they are telling the new folks.
By "sitting there," did you mean you're sitting in the Seattle Uber office?

What is, "onboarding?"

circle1

OK:
1) What type of vehicle do you drive? Is it a luxury car? Is it an SUV or minivan? (Do not announce make/model) The limit is 2006 and up for basic Uber.
2) They do offer some training through the app. The Uber TOS offers some guidelines and rules.
3) The closest to data on pax available is surge, which at least gives some info that pax are looking for rides. We are blind to the destinations that each pax wants to go.
I haven't yet bought/leased a vehicle, so it's a "blank canvas" as it were . . . I'm going to do it approx 30 hours per week, I'm thinking $400/mo for loan payments . . . I think I can swing a $20,000 loan . . .

Thanks!

Skinny1

do some homework and use google instead of asking others to do it for you.

Getting a loan to do this is a mistake but many have and have expressed to pax that they made a mistake going that route.
You will have that much more pressure to get rides and sit out there. There are times you will go an hour with 2 rides... It happens , when a $400+ payment is looming over your head on top of that no thanks.
Good luck.

circle1

do some homework and use google instead of asking others to do it for you.
Goggle can't answer questions about the TNC business the way UberPeople people can . . . uhhh . . . thank you for your input.

berserk42

Keep in mind regarding the minimum vehicle year...unless Uber lowers their standards for Seattle area, 2006 vehicles will be kicked off Uber next year. Rinse and repeat for the following year and 2007 vehicles, etc.

circle1

Ok, the info is coming in . . . looks like I need to find a car and a good GPS system.

Thanks everybody!

circle1

If you do not already have a good car and a GPS capable phone, this is not the line of work for you.
I need a car, like, yesterday . . . so I figure I get do what I love and get my ride paid for. I've done my homework, and my expenses will be, at WORST, $800/mo (and that includes everything, car payments, etc., even taking out SS taxes from my profits). Working an average of 30 hours/week . . . if I suck at this I see banking at least $800/month + owning a like-new 2010 car. But, I think a person with reasonable intelligence can make at least $1,500/mo, no?

DexNex

and what happens the moment you are deactivated or your car breaks down and you are out a car and your source of income, but sill have the car payment?

Dammit Mazzacane

Spot on DexNex.

Before buying a car, I recommend you try either
A) try leasing a car you plan to use for rideshare AND personal use, but be prepared for pitfalls. I know someone who obtained a short-term lease car through Swapalease with a high mileage cap (IMPORTANT) and drives it full-time for rideshare work. Their risk is not having rideshare insurance and probably violating the lease. Their payment is around $250 / month, but they earn more than that each month.
or
B) try using a car off of the HyreCar tag-a-long platform (they basically let you drive their cars for Uber and Lyft). It will cost you a bunch, but it's like a no-strings-attached ability to drive. Especially to learn about driving rideshare since you have no car. Breeze is a similar company.. I think. Research this one.

Are you currently employed? If you are, I recommend you stay with your day job and try out Uber/Lyft as a side gig. If you're not currently employed, yoy might have "nothing to lose" except being put into debt. The HyreCar / Breeze model may be the best route. It gives you a stream of cars with no extended commitment for driving for Uber/Lyft- but it's like a rental so drive wisely to make a profit.

The third option is UberXChange leasing. That is commonly seen as predatory lending to give a car to anyone at high costs --- basically at rates that make you have to drive on Uber to afford the car, while Uber takes its cut whether it's any good for you or not. There is no exit strategy there, it's a crappy version of a car lease for people who wouldn't be approved for a regular car lease.

These leases -- remember -- are contracts and you have to pay whether you have an income or not. Uber's leases are just usually higher than a non-Uber lease. There's no "get out" if Uber effectively "fires" you and you can't earn money with them anymore.

Last edited:

Dammit Mazzacane

These are examples of what's on HyreCar, so the going rate is like $250 for the week ($1,000 for the month). It's like $50 a day if you do one-day runs. A full eight hours can earn about $150 max on UberX (if you avoid pool rides), not including gas, so with this rental there goes one-third of your profit. Gas eats about 40 bucks or so. So your net profit to take home if using this platform is going to be like $60. Can you survive on $60 a day ($1,680 a month)?

Consider wisely, as you'll need to basically drive full time to make this work I would think.

These prices are higher than a car lease, but also don't cost you in insurance, maintainence, etc.

Attachments