• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Wifi attempted connection interfere with cellular data sesion?

satxsatx

Wifi attempted connections interfere with cellular data sessions?

I'm seeing rideshare drivers report that turning off their phone's wifi makes their cellular data connection "work better", claiming that wifi's incessant attempts to connect to random ( and secured) access points, slows or halts their cellular data flow.

Comments?

Last edited:

HERR_UBERMENSCH

It does ALL THE TIME, turn off WiFi Smart Mode if you wish to keep your sanity. If you enable your wireless Hotspot then WiFi can't be on, problem solved.

satxsatx

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It does ALL THE TIME, turn off WiFi Smart Mode if you wish to keep your sanity. If you enable your wireless Hotspot then WiFi can't be on, problem solved.
I run Nexus 5x and Android 6.01. No where in the wifi setting is there a "smart mode"

what is smart mode?

satxsatx

that's sounds like a great setting, but nothing sounds similar any in 5x wifi setting.

there's a

"network notification Notify whenever a public network is available"

... and no help to define "public" and "available". I don't consider a wifi access point available if it's secured.

So are y'all saying wifi on does interfere with cellular DATA traffic?

HERR_UBERMENSCH

that's sounds like a great setting, but nothing sounds similar any in 5x wifi setting.

there's a

"network notification Notify whenever a public network is available"

... and no help to define "public" and "available". I don't consider a wifi access point available if it's secured.

So are y'all saying wifi on does interfere with cellular DATA traffic?
Only if it tries to connect, or does connect to WiFi access points while driving, happens at McD drive thru to me all the time, or when I drive by somewhere I have been on their WiFi before like BK or DD. Turned off smart mode, problem solved.

satxsatx

There's a lot of very cool settings in the 5x android 6.01 Help for advanced setting, but none them are shown as settings.

HERR_UBERMENSCH

Just checked, my S4 is on 5.0.1, another device on 5.1.1 doesn't have Smart Mode, looks more like what you describe on 6.0.1.