Uber Drivers Forum banner

Wife's Getting mad at Uber

3K views 56 replies 21 participants last post by  Uber-Dog 
#1 ·
I Uber part Time, I have a 40 hour a week full time job and I like to Uber after work and weekends. My wife is saying we have NO FAMILY TIME anymore.

I say, I am working to make more $$$$$$$ to help with bills and to go on a vacation soon with the family.

Anyone else getting grief from their girlfriends or wife's????

#3 ·
I Uber part Time, I have a 40 hour a week full time job and I like to Uber after work and weekends. My wife is saying we have NO FAMILY TIME anymore.
She is the boss ; you hanging out with
I say, I am working to make more $$$$$$$ to help with bills and to go on a vacation soon with the family.

#4 ·
In my opinion, you have to look at the situation as, is this extra Uber income a NEED or a WANT. Meaning, would you be in financial distress without Uber income?

If the answer is no, then you may want to consider the value of family time vs trying to earn extra income. Yes, you could convince yourself that the extra income is being used for family vacations, but is the amount of hours you spend away from family in a year worth the 1 week vacation that you will all be able to spend together? I highly doubt it.

And the fact that your wife is bringing it up should obviously let you believe that she values you being around each day than for you to earn extra income that may not be essential. So you should keep this in mind.

---

I personally no longer drive for Uber but when I did, I was somewhat in a similar situation. I have a 40 hour / week government job, and was doing the Uber thing some evenings / some weekends. I personally found that it took away time from things I really enjoyed doing, like hanging out with Friends/family and other social events. It just wasn't worth it, especially after the continued Uber rate decreases and the unfair policies that continued to be pushed out, lead me to make the better choice to stay offline and enjoy my extra fee time.

djino

#9 ·
Is your wife involved with the family finances? Is she aware of the income that your full time job contributes to the household income? Is she aware of all household expenses?

She obviously doesn't see the benefits of the extra Uber income, which leads me to believe she either has no idea about whats going on financially OR she believes there is enough there to pay all bills and still live comfortably. It is likely time for you to engage her more on the household finances and see what response you get.

Also note, that you may want to consider looking at other career opportunities to increase your income over your current full time job + Uber.

djino
"my 2 cents"

#14 ·
Does SHE work? I had that problem with my Ex. Once she started to work her perspective changed.

If she doesn't work it may be time for her to help out with a part time job.
This..

Perhaps its time for her to get behind the Uber wheel while you are working your full time job.

But I think the main point is that it "appears" like she may not be too engaged with the situation of your household finances. Communication should happen here, and then you can come up with a way to resolve it (either by you continue to Uber or she picks up a job or picks up more hours).

If household finances prove to be ok, then maybe its an addiction issue you are having with Uber :)

djino

#15 ·

Yeah I totally agree with you. For the past 3 months I was going out every Friday and Saturday night and only recently has the wife started to bug about it. I enjoy driving for Uber, but until she mentioned it, I didn't even realize how many hours I was spending on the road and not to mention lack of sleep. I only drive once a week now, but go out for a long period of time (making the most out of being out). Honestly, it has been really nice taking either a Friday or Saturday night off to just relax or go out and party like all of the PAX we spend driving around on those nights. 2 weeks ago it was even nicer getting driven around the city by an Uber as a PAX lol.

#20 ·
I don't know if anyone can agree but, the thing I enjoy most about Uber is the unknown. You can make as little or as much as you want, its like chasing a prize. I know not every night will be good, but the unknown factor is what I look forward too. And the worst part/ best part depending on your situation is that you can go online anytime. Sometimes I find myself sitting around at home saying " I should be out driving right now and not wasting time".

just my 2 cents

#21 · (Edited)
Yea, my Ex didn't work for the first twenty years of our marriage.

Big Mistake.

I was working 12-14 hour days. Frequently out of town on business, lots and lots of missed family dinners.

Her viewpoint changed completely when she started to work after the kids got older.

I attended conventions and meetings in Vegas, Mexico City, Guadalajara, Monterrey. She thought it was fun and games. One day I invited her to go with me to the SEMA Show in Vegas. That cured her of wanting to tag along. :D

Now don't get me wrong, she WORKED at home and raised three great kids. I did make time for the family. We went on a 2-3 week vacation in summer and a 2 week vacation during Christmas. Multiple weekends spent with me on business trips where they could go with me. And I'm proud to say, I never missed a single basketball, football, volleyball, soccer game or school function. I worked my schedule around their schedule.

It's all a matter of balancing work and family as best you can.

#23 ·
That is correct, I've been getting way less family time since 2014, when I started. But it's not like I'm trading family time for my personal time here, this helps get the bills paid, pay for the car, insurance, gas, summer camp for my kid, etc, etc. I wouldn't be doing this if I didn't need the money, obviously. That being said, doing 20 hrs a week should not take away too much time. You can still devote one weekend day to your family.

I'm sure, there are lots. Not me, though.

#24 ·
Up until last week Wednesday, I was a part-time school-bus driver, I've gotten a job offer to drive a highway coach and will be going in for training in August. I'll be on the road and out of town ALLOT more...and I'll be making considerably better money plus tips. YES! TIPS! I can definitely see a marked decrease in my Uber driving in the near future.

I was seriously considering going full-time with Uber after school ended for the holidays. But my better judgement told me that any business you're going to “partner” with needs to be predictable for the business relation to work. Uber, as you all know, is NOT such a business. They will change the rules right in the middle the game to suit themselves at our expense. And if you don't like that, Uber will just pick up it's ball and go home.

I can identify with the OP. I usually drive on Saturday nights and by about 2:30 - 3:00 AM, my wife will be texting me to come home to bed. She seems to view Uber driving as some kind of hobby that I like to do. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy doing it; but my first reason for doing it is the money. This is a job, not a hobby. Unfortunately, some pax also seem to be under the impression that this is a hobby we like to do for kicks.

#27 ·
Yeah,

Yeah, same here, she wants the money...and wants me at home...

#33 · (Edited)
Uber is paying for an amazing vacation later this year so my wife is understanding to a point...there was one night when I stayed out later than I should have.....bit of drama

But since she's seeing the money we all good:)

Edit-On a side note, my wife did see it as a fun hobby until I started telling her about some of the assholes I've met doing this job.

#36 ·
Hey everyone! I'm new here, and thought this topic was interesting. I don't drive Uber right now but have been thinking about it for a while. But I've heard from multiple people that driving Uber is "addictive." This thread seems to steer me in that direction a little bit... Do any of you have any thoughts on this? Thanks!

#47 ·

All girl friend and wife the same want want want you work they complain you don't work they complain so this what you do be smart get her on board with your game plan slow don't rush it you do this by sharing the wealth of your labor maybe be you don't make alot of money or maybe somedays better than others that's your business everyday has to be the same (ok) its an out to buy time because what they don't under stand is it takes time to come up in this game . So what you do is take 20$ bucks has to be from you money you made driving and buy her something small lip stick ,perfume but very nice say your out driving thinking of her came across it Yada Yada Yada see if she bites if she likes it you got the green light to handle your buiseness but be careful this could back fire with time . Another thing if your having fun it ain't work to them :cool: good luck $$

#48 ·

Maybe you could figure out your wife's sleeping hours and drive Uber then, and arrive back home a few minutes before she wakes up :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.