• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Why The Animosity?

Aw Jeez

I'm not sure which Forum category this belongs, but I'll put it here.

It constantly amazes me to read on these pages the words of drivers who genuinely hold our passengers in contempt. It's like, some drivers feel that our pax are abusing us just by using our service! I struggle to understand it. For without our passeng...err, customers, we wouldn't have a job. So why the bitterness toward our riders? Is it their fault that they need to go from Point A to Point B and choose to do it with a ride-share service? I used to drive a taxi; I know how crappy cab service is here in my town if you need a ride and you're not: 1) at the airport, or 2) on the Navy Base.

Same with the attitude towards Uber/Lyft as corporations. One driver on this forum actually posted a question about how he could sabotage Uber and put them out of business! Oh that's rich. Why would anybody support such a lunatic? Not all of us hate Uber or hate driving for Uber. Ride-share continues to be profitable for me, so what do I care if the company is "screwing" its customers (read: passengers, not us). I get out of the house for a couple of hours each day, I make a little money, and I have a little fun. I'm driving a nicer car than I otherwise would buy for myself. And I work...or like today, not work...when I want.

The drivers who don't like this "job" and who don't like Uber and who feel animosity towards our passengers should really, really find something else to do with their lives. Seriously. I mean, life might not always be easy, but it's not all that hard. Unless you're stupid. Then it's really hard.

NOXDriver

People who Uber as a living have made some pretty crappy decisions. Would rather live in a car than seek shelter for free, or accept assistance, etc.

Pride is one thing, but stupid economic decisions is another. Some people simply suck at life. And have little to no motivation to improve, because making changes for the better IS HARD. Why do hard things when they can Uber, sleep in a car and post online with free wifi from the local fast food joint?

No one is holding them back, no one is preventing them from getting ahead. And its so much easier to complain than it is to improve.

Today I am going to fly for an hour or two, then Uber for a few hours to make some pocket cash. I may start to chuckle softly as I think of the poor slobs who have to churn out 16 hour days on Uber because they refuse to get a real job.

losiglow

I think the bad attitude comes from drivers that started when rates were better. I started about 2.5 years ago when mileage rates were about $0.90/mile and $0.08/minute. With those rates, you were easily looking at about $1.00/mile. Now, with rates at $0.58/mile and $0.15/minute, I normally see about $0.75/mile. Also, they nerfed surge which is just insult to injury.

I still drive for several reasons. I have the time, my costs are low when it comes to maintenance and repairs (do it myself, repairs are minor and rare) depreciation (my car has 200K on it so I'm not exactly losing value too quickly...) and I'm still making about the same as I was before because I've garnered some better tactics for driving in my area. Uber adding tips through the app has also helped. So my $/hr. is about the same as it was before, if not better. But I can see why many drivers are resentful.

Stephen Uno

Your message make sense at the beginning but then at the end I lost interest. Every job give a raise....... Gas price going up and rate going down. Deactivation without fact event though they said not guilty until....., rider want free rides and lie about drivers etc. not everyone gonna be like Mr captain. Everyone have a choice of what to do with their life rather than telling people how stupid their life is just because they voice their opinion. Every man have a right to their point of view and if you don’t like it don’t post.

jhearcht

It constantly amazes me to read on these pages the words of drivers who genuinely hold our passengers in contempt.
I suspect that it's not really the passengers that are held in contempt, but the drivers who feel self-contempt for their menial role as a servant to "superior" people who have real jobs. In psychology, that's called "projection".

Self-loathing people sometimes engage in self-defeating behaviors, such as trying to sabotage the source of their minimal financial livelihood -- killing the goose that lays their sh*tty eggs.

"Psychological projection involves projecting undesirable feelings or emotions onto someone else, rather than admitting to or dealing with the unwanted feelings. "

BigRedDriver

I suspect that it's not really the passengers that are held in contempt, but the drivers who feel self-contempt for their menial role as a servant to "superior" people who have real jobs. In psychology, that's called "projection".

Self-loathing people sometimes engage in self-defeating behaviors, such as trying to sabotage the source of their minimal financial livelihood -- killing the goose that lays their sh*tty eggs.

"Psychological projection involves projecting undesirable feelings or emotions onto someone else, rather than admitting to or dealing with the unwanted feelings. "
Sometimes the goose simply needs shot.

Just sayin

jhearcht

Every job give a raise....... Every man have a right to their point of view and if you don’t like it don’t post.
UBERing is not a career path, it's a temporary dead-end employment, like pizza delivery. If you want cost-of-living raises, you need to get into a different line of work.

The original poster expressed his opinion. If you don't like it, exit. :smiles:

Aw Jeez

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's a funny thing about the surge: We almost never see it here in my town. So we haven't gotten used to it. Whenever I do see an area surging, it's usually only temporary as frantic ants quickly swarm there - OR - it's too far to drive to make it worthwhile for me. But I guess drivers in other markets have come to rely on the surge to bolster their income. So here in my town we don't even consider the surge.

The Gift of Fish

It constantly amazes me to read on these pages the words of drivers who genuinely hold our passengers in contempt. It's like, some drivers feel that our pax are abusing us just by using our service! I struggle to understand it. For without our passeng...err, customers, we wouldn't have a job. So why the bitterness toward our riders? Is it their fault that they need to go from Point A to Point B and choose to do it with a ride-share service? I used to drive a taxi; I know how crappy cab service is here in my town if you need a ride and you're not: 1) at the airport, or 2) on the Navy Base.

Same with the attitude towards Uber/Lyft as corporations. One driver on this forum actually posted a question about how he could sabotage Uber and put them out of business! Oh that's rich. Why would anybody support such a lunatic? Not all of us hate Uber or hate driving for Uber. Ride-share continues to be profitable for me, so what do I care if the company is "screwing" its customers (read: passengers, not us). I get out of the house for a couple of hours each day, I make a little money, and I have a little fun. I'm driving a nicer car than I otherwise would buy for myself. And I work...or like today, not work...when I want.

The drivers who don't like this "job" and who don't like Uber and who feel animosity towards our passengers should really, really find something else to do with their lives. Seriously. I mean, life might not always be easy, but it's not all that hard. Unless you're stupid. Then it's really hard.
More to the point, why do new members come on here and ask this same question over and over and over again. A quick use of the search function would have enabled you to view the countless times this has been asked and answered.

Always bothered me too when people choose to bite the hand that is feeding them. Certainly not all but many drivers i've met are unemployable and the fact this company is offering a paying gig with minimal questions asked is mind boggling why you'd speak so negatively. I want more too and have raised those concerns in questionnaires and my green light hub. I drive when I can and my goal is 1K a month so i'm not putting 40+ hours in a week so my perspective may be different.

Blatherskite

Several drivers are professionals who have witnessed rideshare upend their businesses. Uber and Lyft started out with the promise and potential to better the industry by disintermediating corrupt and badly run cab companies. Instead, they have degenerated the industry through flouting regulation, and playing a ponzi game with earnings. They cajole potential drivers with the lie that this job can be approached as a lark which will win them a living while meeting new and interesting riders. The riders, often as not, treat the deal with a warranted attitude of entitlement. Nothing is serious in this game except to the early shareholders. Now, urine drenched hoboes who previously had soiled the seats of public transportation find it within their reach to ride solo for pennies while their intellectual counterparts find it just as easy to become overnight business contractors whose working capital is over-leveraged and financially maintained (temporarily) through a confidence scheme. What's not to like?

Matt Uterak

UBERing is not a career path, it's a temporary dead-end employment, like pizza delivery. If you want cost-of-living raises, you need to get into a different line of work.

The original poster expressed his opinion. If you don't like it, exit. :smiles:
I wouldn’t say pizza delivery is “dead end”. A job where one can make $30,000-40,000 per year with few skills is a perfectly fine life choice.

The reality is that approx 10% of the population is below the IQ level considering functional 83-87 depending on source used. About 55-60% (depending on source) of the population has an IQ less than 100.

These folks can’t be trained to do complex or high responsibility jobs that offer higher pay and advancement.

This illustrates the coming social disorder that will accompany the automation of the all the jobs held by lower intellect peoples.

In the US, certain political wings have already found their solution and targeted or at groups based on race and perceived social status. This started with FDR and accelerated with Kennedy and Johnson.

OooGeeE

More to the point, why do new members come on here and ask this same question over and over and over again. A quick use of the search function would have enabled you to view the countless times this has been asked and answered.
he was making a statement not asking a question Mr. Veteran
Post automatically merged:

By far the biggest issue is the PAY.

Pax annoyances become much more tolerable when drivers are being paid well.
Get a real job then..!?!? right. you need a boss to complain to..

No Prisoners

Maybe this might help understand. The most comprehensive analysis of Uber.
"UBER'S PATH OF DESTRUCTION"