why quit Uber?

Destiny2016

I am not too sure why so many people are saying they are done with Uber after July 15. I have read through other threads to try and figure this out. What exactly is going to happen?

djino

I guess the main assumption is, now that there are insurance protections in place for all drivers without having to pay any additional premium for such protections, implies that the rate of on-boarding new drivers onto the platform will increase exponentially, thereby exponentially decreasing the earnings of each individual driver.

And then there is also Toronto's 7 year age vehicle requirement, which is a larger expense on its own that will require drivers to sell older and buy newer vehicles continuously.

djino

Last edited:

Campark

Yeah 2009 vehicle, dreading the thought of having to work the burbs only. Makes me wanna quit even before trying the burbs only...

Hannibalb

Yeah 2009 vehicle, dreading the thought of having to work the burbs only. Makes me wanna quit even before trying the burbs only...
Are they even going to allow that? Maybe temporarily but I doubt for long.

Amun

Even if you want to drive outside the city of Toronto if you are a Toronto Partner the app is going to deactivate you without, a vehicle inspection, vehicle newer then 7 years. This is going to cause a lot of partners to get the hoof so not that people are quitting more like a huge amount of drivers are getting laid off. Also for a long time we all thought we had to get commercial insurance if we drove over 20 hours which a ton of us do and that shit cost like 600-800 a month so there was no way it was worth it unless you put in 100 hours like some and make 1200+ a week.

I didn't get my vehicle inspection updated since I knew I would fail since my steering belt is getting a little worn and it squeals if you crank really hard on the wheel or in the cold weather. It's not damaged and I've been told by my mechanic it will last me a couple of years but it is a fail on a vehicle inspection of the kind Toronto is doing now and it's not worth spending $100 bucks to replace all of my belts because it "sounds bad".

biozon

LOL, even if I was allowed to drive outside of Toronto, I wouldn't, because it would take me at least an hour to get outside of Toronto, and I would have to travel at least 45 kms one way. It just doesn't make sense as I would never be able to get any profit from this.

Token44

LOL, even if I was allowed to drive outside of Toronto, I wouldn't, because it would take me at least an hour to get outside of Toronto, and I would have to travel at least 45 kms one way. It just doesn't make sense as I would never be able to get any profit from this.
That truly is a shame.
City bylaws are still dealing with Government.
Who knows, maybe the city will say that UBER has "x number of days to comply" 30, 60, 90 it's entirely possible.
All we can do is wait and see.

Campark

I live in oakville. You guys think oakville will be the same as toronto? I hope to continue part time. Gonna go read the new rules now

scott huston

Campark said:
I live in oakville. You guys think oakville will be the same as toronto? I hope to continue part time. Gonna go read the new rules now
This wont work. What if you are taken to toronto? From either sauga or Oakville, you have to turn around and drive all the way back? Plus you are part of toronto uber so no way.

Amun

As an Oakville partner you are signed up in the Toronto Network so Uber will not see a difference between you and a guy driving in Downtown so to drive for Uber in Oakville as long as you are a Toronto Partner then you have to play ball by the City of Toronto Rules.

Now if you ask for a swap to a Hamilton Partner you might get away with it if you can cross over fast enough.