• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Why not strike in major cities on July 4?

MsKia

Here’s a thought...everyone on UP are constantly complaining about how much we are getting screwed...Uber cuts rates, Lyft eliminates surges for drivers and offers “power zones” that are rubbish, etc... and then we go back to driving. Why don’t we strike on a day when people in cities like Los Angeles are completely used to being reliant on us to get to their fireworks, their bbqs, etc...? It’s one of the suckiest days (to me) as a driver in LA anyway, as the majority of people go to the coast. Even if we only boycotted the coastal areas...sure some scabs would go zooming towards the huge surge they see and maybe get one high paying ride out of it on Uber. On Lyft, they won’t even get a piece of the surge at all. We’ve only tried striking on a random weekday and the passengers did not feel the impact at all. I know that it’s likely too late to plan this...but maybe we think of another major day or target a specific event or venue. The public blatantly does not give a ???? about the drivers but boy do they expect us to be there. Thoughts!?

WAHN

Users on UP probably account for less than 1/10 of one percent of drivers. Organizing anything that would even remotely put a dent in revenue and have an impact on service levels would be a huge undertaking.

If anyone ever decides to seriously pursue it, they'll need to put in plenty of unpaid time organizing and plenty of money to promote it in order to reach the maximum amount of drivers.

As for the public not giving a :poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop:, why should they? Do you buy goods and services from companies that treat their workers like crap? That's pretty much the M.O. of every major publicly traded corporation.

MsKia

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Users on UP probably account for less than 1/10 of one percent of drivers. Organizing anything that would even remotely put a dent in revenue and have an impact on service levels would be a huge undertaking.

If anyone ever decides to seriously pursue it, they'll need to put in plenty of unpaid time organizing and plenty of money to promote it in order to reach the maximum amount of drivers.

As for the public not giving a :poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop:, why should they? Do you buy goods and services from companies that treat their workers like crap? That's pretty much the M.O. of every major publicly traded corporation.
All too true. I think the only reason I feel that making the public feel it matters is that most of them are under the false premise that we make really good money, that our job is a blast, and that we somehow receive something as gratifying as cash from getting 5stars. But yes, it’s really just a continuation of the general course of our society. I will say that I’m a consumer who does try to support non animal tested products and make the best choices I can, but I’m sure I’m supporting plenty of evil corporations. Also, I don’t understand all the ignorant drivers who don’t stay up to date on what’s happening and haven’t discovered UP. I’ve been driving 4.5 years and I found it right away. It was a great way to learn a lot of stuff from other drivers when first getting started. I haven’t been someone who posts tons along the way, but I’ve constantly checked in to keep myself in the know.

IR12

Here’s a thought...everyone on UP are constantly complaining about how much we are getting screwed...Uber cuts rates, Lyft eliminates surges for drivers and offers “power zones” that are rubbish, etc... and then we go back to driving. Why don’t we strike on a day when people in cities like Los Angeles are completely used to being reliant on us to get to their fireworks, their bbqs, etc...? It’s one of the suckiest days (to me) as a driver in LA anyway, as the majority of people go to the coast. Even if we only boycotted the coastal areas...sure some scabs would go zooming towards the huge surge they see and maybe get one high paying ride out of it on Uber. On Lyft, they won’t even get a piece of the surge at all. We’ve only tried striking on a random weekday and the passengers did not feel the impact at all. I know that it’s likely too late to plan this...but maybe we think of another major day or target a specific event or venue. The public blatantly does not give a ???? about the drivers but boy do they expect us to be there. Thoughts!?
Yesterday drivers met w/SF BOS. Haven't seen agenda, video...
This is not about L/U. It's about driver's being all over the place, few speaking for many, some thinking we should be employees & zero organization.
Ridesharing only does that which we ALLOW imho.

Matt Uterak

If people will drive for losing rates, they are not going to strike.

Do what I did in Denver when the rates declined too much......I stopped driving.
Post automatically merged:

All too true. I think the only reason I feel that making the public feel it matters is that most of them are under the false premise that we make really good money, that our job is a blast,m
It is a blast most days. When it isn’t, I turn off the app and go do something else.

peteyvavs

I didn’t work when drivers called for a strike on May 8th, it was an exercise in futility. The airport had 150 drivers most of the day and evening, Uber and lyft drivers don’t care, most just drive for gas and beer money here in Florida.

TPAMB

Again, the ONLY way any effective strike will occur is to organize 95% or more of all the drivers, much like a Union, otherwise, everyone is one for themselves and all for no one else.

peteyvavs

Again, the ONLY way any effective strike will occur is to organize 95% or more of all the drivers, much like a Union, otherwise, everyone is one for themselves and all for no one else.
Uber and lyft hire many drivers and have lease agreements with them, these people won’t strike because they have expensive weekly lease payments to cover.

MsKia

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I know all these things. I just know that if we ever could actually organize an effective strike it would be much better on a specific holiday or something. Too many drivers just don’t care, I know. It’s people like me who have relied on it as my full time income for almost two years who are feeling the squeeze so much that we do care. I’ve beeb transitioning into a new career, but I really need this income until that one becomes profitable. These past few weeks have been the most frustrating I’ve had since I got my SUV. Super busy but sitting in high surge zones for Uber and getting no hits. Lyft charging pax surge and no longer passing it on. Lyft has taken over venues like Hollywood Bowl abd now only pay the $3.50 power zone bonus instead of the surge and if you have Lyft WiFi on to get Lyft reception it somehow blocks out uber.

peteyvavs

I know all these things. I just know that if we ever could actually organize an effective strike it would be much better on a specific holiday or something. Too many drivers just don’t care, I know. It’s people like me who have relied on it as my full time income for almost two years who are feeling the squeeze so much that we do care. I’ve beeb transitioning into a new career, but I really need this income until that one becomes profitable. These past few weeks have been the most frustrating I’ve had since I got my SUV. Super busy but sitting in high surge zones for Uber and getting no hits. Lyft charging pax surge and no longer passing it on. Lyft has taken over venues like Hollywood Bowl abd now only pay the $3.50 power zone bonus instead of the surge and if you have Lyft WiFi on to get Lyft reception it somehow blocks out uber.
As long as this gig is helping with the bills then go with the flow, but avoid using lyft at as much as possible.

KK2929

Yesterday drivers met w/SF BOS. Haven't seen agenda, video...
This is not about L/U. It's about driver's being all over the place, few speaking for many, some thinking we should be employees & zero organization.
Ridesharing only does that which we ALLOW imho.
---------------------
Please post information on the meeting after you look at the video.

Joey Bagofdonuts

Striking will lead to less income - period. California TNC already looking at employment status, 15 hour min plus fares. This will mean, you will work hours UBER gives you, you will work WHERE Uber wants you, you will use the hourly wage like a regular job when your car breaks and pay for it yourself, you will get a schedule, if you don't turn on the app in your scheduled area at your scheduled time you will be fired. Keep Striking, or just STFU and work it.

peteyvavs

Striking will lead to less income - period. California TNC already looking at employment status, 15 hour min plus fares. This will mean, you will work hours UBER gives you, you will work WHERE Uber wants you, you will use the hourly wage like a regular job when your car breaks and pay for it yourself, you will get a schedule, if you don't turn on the app in your scheduled area at your scheduled time you will be fired. Keep Striking, or just STFU and work it.
WOW, you just don’t get it, on the other hand by your comment I seriously doubt that you are a driver, I suspect that your an Uber shill attempting to poison drivers minds with BS because you know very well that your days are numbered screwing drivers.

Joey Bagofdonuts

No, I do get it. And you will too if this passes. (Shill ???????) Yep - you are typical - in fact, you probably are a shill cause anyone who wants set hours and told where to work in this business isn't a real driver.

Last edited:

peteyvavs

No, I do get it. And you will too if this passes. (Shill ???????) Yep - you are typical
Who cares what you think, you never was a driver, you don’t incur the expenses, you don’t risk you life and property and you don’t have to put up with drunks, arrogant and rude pax’s, pax trying to scam free rides with bogus complaints that get a driver deactivated without any recourse.
All you most likely do is sell your soul for a pittance to Uber behind a desk.

Joey Bagofdonuts

Who cares what you think, you never was a driver, you don’t incur the expenses, you don’t risk you life and property and you don’t have to put up with drunks, arrogant and rude pax’s, pax trying to scam free rides with bogus complaints that get a driver deactivated without any recourse.
All you most likely do is sell your soul for a pittance to Uber behind a desk.
If you don't care what "I THINK" , then prove it

BillC

If you organize and form a union, you will be an employee. If you are an employee, you will have a manager. You will be expected to work shifts. You will have to ask for time off (and possibly be told "no"). You will have to perform at a certain level (meet metrics). You probably will not be allowed to not accept a ride request for any reason. Pax rating too low? Bad area of town? Walmart pickup with many bags of groceries? Uncomfortable or intimidating pax? Tough shit.

Being a TNC driver as an employee would be far worse than it is now.

Joey Bagofdonuts

If you organize and form a union, you will be an employee. If you are an employee, you will have a manager. You will be expected to work shifts. You will have to ask for time off (and possibly be told "no"). You will have to perform at a certain level (meet metrics). You probably will not be allowed to not accept a ride request for any reason. Pax rating too low? Bad area of town? Walmart pickup with many bags of groceries? Uncomfortable or intimidating pax? Tough shit.

Being a TNC driver as an employee would be far worse than it is now.
Bottom line is Uber drivers are looking for more money - and for some reason, maybe too much fluoride, I don't know, but they think the company UBER and the State of California wants to help them WITHOUT raising Fare Rates for Riders... This is easy economics - but people literally believe that the State and UBER wants to help them make more money - its amazing how easy it is to fool people

peteyvavs

Bottom line is Uber drivers are looking for more money - and for some reason, maybe too much fluoride, I don't know, but they think the company UBER and the State of California wants to help them WITHOUT raising Fare Rates for Riders... This is easy economics - but people literally believe that the State and UBER wants to help them make more money - its amazing how easy it is to fool people
We want what is fair, Uber and management pay themselves millions off of our labor, time and equipment. If you think California is scamming drivers then offer a better solution, otherwise you’re just an Uber/lyft shill.