• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Why No tipping option Uber....

ma du

So I was in a Jersey Mikes the other day and paid with a credit card and then and option came up to tip. Since the guy is standing right there staring at me I felt guilted into tipping him. Because the receipt prints out and he knows if I chose to tip or not.

What pisses me off is now this method is done in a fast food place and uber still does not have an option to tip and promotes itself not to tip.

I don't understand why they do not put this option in for pax.

We are already at their mercy by them rating us. Why not put a tip option instead of us having to beg them for 5 stars.

We now are also expected to give out water and candy and let them charge their phone. And if you don't your rating will probably drop.

It seems uber has so many people driving it now they just are happy with the turnover percentage higher than the service industry.

Also they are lowering the rates per mile and not increasing them. I don't know about you but I have never had a job where over time my pay decreases.

Last edited:

rocksteady

Yes, they are shit... and yet I keep doing it. The appeal of a part-time job that I can choose when I work keeps me coming back. Uber knows this creates an endless supply of "partners" which allows them to lie and do nothing of substantial value that is in our interest (often just the opposite). They're laughing at their driving junkies all the way to the bank.

Lyft offers an anonymous tip option through the app so there's no coercion that riders feel like they have to tip which is Uber's bullshit concern (poor poor pax). Uber does nothing to enforce the 4-rider limit for uberX but instead leaves it up to us to do what we feel "comfortable" with. They give zero @@@@s if we waste time/money to cancel the rides of these cheap little @@@@ers or risk a ticket or a lawsuit along with extra wear and tear. At the same time in not enforcing their phony rider limit policy they screw over uberXL drivers. They manipulate the ratings to keep drivers on their toes--pushing them to invest more in an already bargain basement service. They'll also cut out five star ratings if you cancel more than they want you to. Sorry greedy Uber corporate pricks, but I'm not going to accept a ride request thats 25 minutes away. I'm not going to accept one from the inconsiderate @@@@@@@/s I just waited 6 minutes for so I could possibly get @@@@@ed out and rated low for not being the patient personal chauffeur they feel they're entitled to. I'm not accepting a ride request from the same person I didn't accept one from two seconds ago... Thought I might have a change of heart?

Why won't this "technology company" fix their shit rider app so that people have to confirm the pickup address/location before they submit the request? A confirmation box as big as the screen should pop up when they hit submit asking in big block letters that blurry-eyed drunks can read, "This is the location/address you have requested for pickup. Is this correct??? Are you sure??? Please Confirm or Correct." If they want to make sure there are plenty of drivers available they'd make this simple correction. About half the time the pickup isn't correct and of course the rider always blames the app yet they never learn they can't trust it to drop the pin in the correct spot. Lots of time(money) is wasted trying to figure out where the rider really is and waiting for them. The majority of my time is spent waiting after I've arrived than waiting for requests and driving to the pick-up. Why not send a message to all users asking them to please not request a ride until they know they'll be ready by the time the driver gets there? Uber won't dare ask anything, not even basic decency, of their customers. Let the drivers(suckers) eat the cost. These fixes would be good for Uber's and drivers' earnings. If they don't evolve, what happened to the cabbies will happen to them. Competition is the only thing that'll help drivers' interest.

San Diego Steve

So I was in a Jersey Mikes the other day and paid with a credit card and then and option came up to tip. Since the guy is standing right there staring at me I felt guilted into tipping him. Because the receipt prints out and he knows if I chose to tip or not.

What pisses me off is now this method is done in a fast food place and uber still does not have an option to tip and promotes itself not to tip.

I don't understand why they do not put this option in for pax.

We are already at their mercy by them rating us. Why not put a tip option instead of us having to beg them for 5 stars.

We now are also expected to give out water and candy and let them charge their phone. And if you don't your rating will probably drop.

It seems uber has so many people driving it now they just are happy with the turnover percentage higher than the service industry.

Also they are lowering the rates per mile and not increasing them. I don't know about you but I have never had a job where over time my pay decreases.
You don't need to kiss the customers ass and give out mints and water to get 5 star ratings. Car charger is basic, that is the only perk I offer in nearly a year of driving. 4.85 rating and I am much older than majority of my rides. You have to educate them in rating system and be very smart to pull this off so you don't look bad. Then tell them about their rating, good or bad, it is a good angle to feel compassion and obligation to give you 5 stars. I have had perfect ratings weeks 3 out of 4 weeks . 1 dipshit @@@@er gave me a 1 star is my only blemish. Not bragging, but if I can do it, anyone can do it as well. My body fell apart at 50 and cost me my corporate job. Reinvented myself and used my customer service and sales skills to survive this @@@@ed up jungle I'm in now. Finally getting healthier and gaining momentum. Daily headaches so pretty much a miracle that I am competing with drivers half my age and holding my own. Don't kiss ass and keep your integrity and confidence to educate the passenger if they don't want Somalian pirates driving them around in uber rentals after they take our place because of ratings and two tiered commission schedule in San Diego.

yassir

Most of the passengers ask uber drivers how they like uber. All I do is I answer honestly and tell them that it pays okay until my car breaks and then I am screwed because I am not making enough to save for when my car breaks. Since I started doing that I started getting better tips (or at least they apologize for not having cash on them). Most people don't know what we go through to give them a ride. well, all we have to do is let them know.

Last edited:

Dahkei

Where the heck does this water and candy crap come from. I saw a post about dressing up as well. I've been driving for 1.5 years and have NEVER wasted my time and money to give out water and or candy. I also drive Select and wear sweat pants if that's what I feel like wearing. My car stays clean and I'm not a jerk. That's been enough to keep my rating at 4.86 or higher. Don't get suckered in to doing all that extra stuff to keep a good rating.

Last edited:

Respect The Beard

Where the heck does this water and candy crap come from. I saw a post about dressing up as well. I've been driving for 1.5 years and have NEVER wasted my time and money to give out water and or candy. I also drive Select and where sweat pants if that's what I feel like wearing. My car stays clean and I'm not a jerk. That's been enough to keep my rating at 4.86 or higher. Don't get suckered in to doing all that extra stuff to keep a good rating.
I don't provide that either and I think Lyft requires that.My son who rides both weekly told me that a car charger or USB for his phone is a given 5 but he usually gives out high ratings unless the driver misses his destination.

rocksteady

Where the heck does this water and candy crap come from. I saw a post about dressing up as well. I've been driving for 1.5 years and have NEVER wasted my time and money to give out water and or candy. I also drive Select and wear sweat pants if that's what I feel like wearing. My car stays clean and I'm not a jerk. That's been enough to keep my rating at 4.86 or higher. Don't get suckered in to doing all that extra stuff to keep a good rating.
I'm not sure but I know Lyft was in the area first. I drove for them for about a week and there was no demand. I understood it was new so it would be slow at first but I couldn't stand the bullshit hype machine. They heavily encouraged the drivers to go all out on the perks, giving examples of what other drivers in other areas were doing, like baking cookies for their riders. WTF? It was crazy to watch other drivers buy-in hook, line and sinker. The Lyft rep asked what I was going to do to be "unique." I said, "I was thinking I'd be courteous and friendly, keep my car clean, and get them to their destination safely yet efficiently." That seemed waaay better than the competition--the taxi industry.

I only lasted a week because I couldn't stand the fuggin phony-ass kumbaya fist-bumping hipster bullshit. Pink Mustaches on the cars? Give me a friggin break. What Lyft was really up to was some typical shrewd capitalist shit, packaged in some slick San Fran marketing--getting the driver to invest their own time and money as they constantly try to out do each other for better ratings. The 5 star competition gives out cookies and kazoos. He's got a miniature disco ball mounted on his ceiling--his car is a friggin not-stop party! So you're courteous, clean and efficient... blaaah! That's some basic 3 star shit. The game they were playing was whoever does the most for the least, Wins!

I haven't a clue on whether or not it's still like that at lyft but I doubt it as they're just trying to keep their heads above water, and the drivers that ultimately stick around do a good job but most are more realistic and cynical about "going the extra mile." Uber is scum but at least it's right under the surface. It's apparent from the get go that it's an uncaring capitalist machine. No hippy-dippy front.

Candy and waters? Fug that bullshit! In a year, I've given out 3 pieces of gum and one altoid because one rider asked another for one. No one had any, so I offered, as I would do in most any other similar instance. Not once has a rider asked for any handouts. I let them use my iPhone cord if they ask which rarely happens. If they want to use the AUX cord, sure, I have that cuz I use it too. Anybody that buys anything extra to give to riders is a fool. When I see uber drivers dressed up, and getting out to open doors, I laugh my ass off. To me it comes off as some sad desperate shit.

Courteous, friendly, efficient and to top it off a bargain basement rate... blows 99% of cabs out of the water. Let's not do Uber or Lyft any favors by competing with each other.

Last edited:

Disgusted Driver

I'm not sure but I know Lyft was in the area first. I drove for them for about a week and there was no demand. I understood it was new so it would be slow at first but I couldn't stand the bullshit hype machine. They heavily encouraged the drivers to go all out on the perks, giving examples of what other drivers in other areas were doing, like baking cookies for their riders. WTF? It was crazy to watch other drivers buy-in hook, line and sinker. The Lyft rep asked what I was going to do to be "unique." I said, "I was thinking I'd be courteous and friendly, keep my car clean, and get them to their destination safely yet efficiently." That seemed waaay better than the competition--the taxi industry.

I only lasted a week because I couldn't stand the fuggin phony-ass kumbaya fist-bumping hipster bullshit. Pink Mustaches on the cars? Give me a friggin break. What Lyft was really up to was some typical shrewd capitalist shit, packaged in some slick San Fran marketing--getting the driver to invest their own time and money as they constantly try to out do each other for better ratings. The 5 star competition gives out cookies and kazoos. He's got a miniature disco ball mounted on his ceiling--his car is a friggin not-stop party! So you're courteous, clean and efficient... blaaah! That's some basic 3 star shit. The game they were playing was whoever does the most for the least, Wins!

I haven't a clue on whether or not it's still like that at lyft but I doubt it as they're just trying to keep their heads above water, and the drivers that ultimately stick around do a good job but most are more realistic and cynical about "going the extra mile." Uber is scum but at least it's right under the surface. It's apparent from the get go that it's an uncaring capitalist machine. No hippy-dippy front.

Candy and waters? Fug that bullshit! In a year, I've given out 3 pieces of gum and one altoid because one rider asked another for one. No one had any, so I offered, as I would do in most any other similar instance. Not once has a rider asked for any handouts. I let them use my iPhone cord if they ask which rarely happens. If they want to use the AUX cord, sure, I have that cuz I use it too. Anybody that buys anything extra to give to riders is a fool. When I see uber drivers dressed up, and getting out to open doors, I laugh my ass off. To me it comes off as some sad desperate shit.

Courteous, friendly, efficient and to top it off a bargain basement rate... blows 99% of cabs out of the water. Let's not do Uber or Lyft any favors by competing with each other.
Got to laugh, last week needed to be a pax to get some repairs done. First Uber ride is a middle aged guy in a BMW 323 (this is X rates), apparently he drives both X and Select. First thing he does is offer me a bottle of water. I'm like WTF, you know you are losing money right? Dudes rocking a 4.9 rating and thinks he's doing well, I mean he's been doing this for a month. He too will learn when the car gets hungry for some maintenance.

Was also surprised that a 3 series BMW qualifies for select, it's a tight fit for 4 pax in that car.

rocksteady

Got to laugh, last week needed to be a pax to get some repairs done. First Uber ride is a middle aged guy in a BMW 323 (this is X rates), apparently he drives both X and Select. First thing he does is offer me a bottle of water. I'm like WTF, you know you are losing money right? Dudes rocking a 4.9 rating and thinks he's doing well, I mean he's been doing this for a month. He too will learn when the car gets hungry for some maintenance.

Was also surprised that a 3 series BMW qualifies for select, it's a tight fit for 4 pax in that car.
Sounds like Uber's ideal driver. Somehow he's able to afford a BMW but not enough sense to know there's no way in hell he's making even minimum wage driving UberX.

I've got an idea for a new reality show called "Uber Driver Intervention". A few Savvy enough to know better driver's request rides from pitiful drivers who are either blissfully ignorant or have hit rock bottom--tired of eking out a meager existence yet haven't a clue as to the source of their misery. Neither realize the only people they're making money for is Uber. With kid gloves on, the riders begin the process of breaking down the false narrative by leading the driver through an incisive line of socratic questioning. The driver's friends and family, who've tried to help but get nothing but denial and excuses, are concerned. They've had enough and are waiting at the destination--the intervention.

Some will wake up and change their ways, but some will end up back on the streets. People have to want to change. You can't save everybody.

Last edited:

Stephen

It's "couldn't", meaning Über could not care any less
Or is Uber so apathetic that while they could care less, this would require them to take action about their level of care for the drivers, and acknowledge that they treat them pretty shittily? :wink:

Novus Caesar

When I was in college, I worked for a grocery store that said no tipping. Customers seemed to like that idea that the baggers were paid and they did not need to. Uber is borrowing from this where customers feel they don't need to tip since we are paid. Uber wins, we lose. I used to work for a pizza place as well, and the delivery guys were tipped. However, the company started charging a delivery fee, and even though they expressed that the delivery fee was not a tip, the tips stopped as a result. Uber charges a fee to the customer, so many see this as a tip.