Why nick name is ant?

Wildgoose

I think because U/L cars are moving slowly in the app like ants searching out for foods. I wonder who gave this nick name. It is really beautiful.
So, Uber and Lyft are the Queen then.

Z129

-:- * -:- * -:- * -:-
Based on my searching of the forums, I believe the phrase started in the LA/OC forum about 3 years ago and had to do with the appearance of the cars in the pax app as you've stated. Many people believe it is a derogatory term. I think it is very apt and very descriptive and I don't find it to be insulting in and of itself. Though it can be used in an insulting fashion. There is a bit of shared understanding that "to ant" means to go out with no real plan other than to try and catch some pings. This is not the most efficient method of driving and I suppose that could be taken as a bit of an insult. "Anting" is also attributed to new drivers who don't know any better than to drive around in circles hoping for pings. As the LA/OC forum drivers at that time were more focused on working the surges than they are today, "to ant" was disruptive to the regular surges and was greatly discouraged.

Wildgoose

Based on my searching of the forums, I believe the phrase started in the LA/OC forum about 3 years ago and had to do with the appearance of the cars in the pax app as you've stated. Many people believe it is a derogatory term. I think it is very apt and very descriptive and I don't find it to be insulting in and of itself. Though it can be used in an insulting fashion. There is a bit of shared understanding that "to ant" means to go out with no real plan other than to try and catch some pings. This is not the most efficient method of driving and I suppose that could be taken as a bit of an insult. "Anting" is also attributed to new drivers who don't know any better than to drive around in circles hoping for pings. As the LA/OC forum drivers at that time were more focused on working the surges than they are today, "to ant" was disruptive to the regular surges and was greatly discouraged.

Thank you. It is very interesting.

Lissetti

Rebel Honey Badger
Article Manager
Screenshot_20190113-192835~2.jpg

Post automatically merged:

ANT PRIDE

Screenshot_20190504-000520.jpg

Last edited:

ANT 7

Way back when Uber showed you "ALL" the cars on the road in the app (today they just show 8 max, or no one would go out and work) it really did look like a bunch of ants running around.

I don't consider the term derogatory at all......it's kinda cute actually.

Here's a selfie I took after driving 10 minutes and getting a cancel fee for a no show.

1075889656415be18ad3fk.jpeg

observer

Ants, real ants, are actually pretty "smart" if you could call an ant smart.

We have hundreds of ant hills on our ranch. Ants definitely do not run around willy nilly. They follow the pheromone trail of other ants.

They are also very quick and efficient eaters. When I eat chikin for lunch, I'll throw the bones near an ant hill. It is COMPLETELY stripped of all meat within an hour. The bones are left practically white.
Post automatically merged:

Ants, real ants, are actually pretty "smart" if you could call an ant smart.

We have hundreds of ant hills on our ranch. Ants definitely do not run around willy nilly. They follow the pheromone trail of other ants.

They are also very quick and efficient eaters. When I eat chikin for lunch, I'll throw the bones near an ant hill. It is COMPLETELY stripped of all meat within an hour. The bones are left practically white.

Ian Richard Markham

I love the person’s post who lives on a ranch with lots of ant hills and watches the ants eat the meat off the chicken bones. And I like the guy that said ants are rather beautiful! Idk if this post is real but it made me laugh