• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Why mileage pay is more important than time pay

New2This

You guys are probably tired of hearing me say I stay out of D.C. as much as possible. These two trips illustrate why. They're similar in terms of time of trip but the distances are way different.

Trip one: afternoon rush hour. 1.6X Pool from Arlington into D.C. near 9th and U. (My DF was set to Dulles; DF has been flaky lately. I didn't realize it was going into D.C. until 2nd rider was in the car and it said D.C. I should've just booted them out but didn't.)

20180317_113822.jpg

I wanted to go full roadman when I saw the payout.

Trip two: afternoon rush hour. 1.4X Pool going from D.C. into VA, ultimately Annandale.

20180317_113641.jpg

The second trip was 0.2X less Surge but paid out significantly more in roughly the same amount of time because I was moving, not sitting in shithole D.C. gridlock.

My point? If you want to make more money, don't sit in rush hour traffic.

I would take a time rate increase over a per mile increase.

*Addendum- save the 'don't do Pool' screeds. I have a system for rush hour using Pool and DF. It works for me when the DF doesn't fornicate me

LowIQCrazyMika

You guys are probably tired of hearing me say I stay out of D.C. as much as possible. These two trips illustrate why. They're similar in terms of time of trip but the distances are way different.

Trip one: afternoon rush hour. 1.6X Pool from Arlington into D.C. near 9th and U. (My DF was set to Dulles; DF has been flaky lately. I didn't realize it was going into D.C. until 2nd rider was in the car and it said D.C. I should've just booted them out but didn't.)

View attachment 214299

Trip two: afternoon rush hour. 1.4X Pool going from D.C. into VA, ultimately Annandale.

View attachment 214300

The second trip was 0.2X less Surge but paid out significantly more in roughly the same amount of time because I was moving, not sitting in shithole D.C. gridlock.

*Addendum- save the 'don't do Pool' screeds. I have a system for rush hour using Pool and DF. It works for me when the DF doesn't fornicate me

But...these two payouts were way better than those two trips you have up there

Screenshot_20180317-131151.png
Screenshot_20180317-131205.png

Nats121

View attachment 214299

View attachment 214300

The title of your post is the opposite of the point you made in your post. I'm assuming your typing fingers had a touch of dyslexia.

I've stated in several posts that in heavily congested regions such as DC, our puny time rate hurts us more than the crappy mileage rate we get. Our time rates should be at least triple what they are now, in which case you would have received over $9 time pay for each ride.

But your screenshots illustrate an even bigger point, which is to avoid traffic jams as much as possible, with DC being the biggest culprit.

I'm not totally convinced your DF issue was "flaky" or a "glitch". There's usually a method to uber's madness, and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if uber decided there were too many drivers using DF to Dulles/Virginia at the same time, and they decided they wanted you and maybe other DF to Dulles drivers to go to DC.

It makes sense if you remember the excuse uber gave for taking away the 4 extra DFs. They claimed too many drivers were choosing the same destinations.

Last edited:

Nats121

Maybe I could've been clearer but I meant it's more important to be moving not sitting.
LOL, I think your dyslexia is contagious, because I just discovered I made the same mistake in my response that you did in your post. I used the word "mileage" when I meant to say "time". It's funny that you didn't catch my mistake.

Without a reliable DF, this job ain't worth doing, and lately I'm seeing complaints on Upnet about "glitches" with the DF.

My DF isn't getting me a lot of rides lately, either.

The DF, which is no substitute for knowing destinations in advance, is our only means to have even a little bit of control over where we go, and if luber's gonna play around with it, I'll bail out.

Last edited:

New2This

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's funny that you didn't catch my mistake.
Because I'm not trying to nitpick, and I'm on the elliptical at the moment.

Without editing, my post/point are pretty clear: You only make money when you're moving.

UberPotomac

The title of your post is the opposite of the point you made in your post. I'm assuming your typing fingers had a touch of dyslexia.

I've stated in several posts that in heavily congested regions such as DC, our puny time rate hurts us more than the crappy mileage rate we get. Our time rates should be at least triple what they are now, in which case you would have received over $9 time pay for each ride.

But your screenshots illustrate an even bigger point, which is to avoid traffic jams as much as possible, with DC being the biggest culprit.

I'm not totally convinced your DF issue was "flaky" or a "glitch". There's usually a method to uber's madness, and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if uber decided there were too many drivers using DF to Dulles/Virginia at the same time, and they decided they wanted you and maybe other DF to Dulles drivers to go to DC.

It makes sense if you remember the excuse uber gave for taking away the 4 extra DFs. They claimed too many drivers were choosing the same destinations.
Nats121 . You missing the “ It is all the immigrant fault” comments , today. What’s wrong with you?

Jayjay9317

View attachment 214299

View attachment 214300

I don't even care about expense, millage, pool, x, tax, and time. I just drive and drive. I love it.

Nats121 . You missing the “ It is all the immigrant fault” comments , today. What’s wrong with you?
Don't be too hard on illigals, they just want to have better life for their familly and themselves. It doesn't make no difference with or without illegals. There will be always rich people and poor people. Its not going to be any better with illegals or not.

Last edited:

Another Uber Driver

I get four and one half times what you get for time at base rates. Even when you get a 2X surge, still I get better than twice what you do. This is where the cab does get expensive. One thing, though, I do not get paid for time if I am going faster than ten miles per hour. You get paid for time, regardless. Still, given the paltry time pay that you get, still, I do better than do you.

Jayjay9317

I get four and one half times what you get for time at base rates. Even when you get a 2X surge, still I get better than twice what you do. This is where the cab does get expensive. One thing, though, I do not get paid for time if I am going faster than ten miles per hour. You get paid for time, regardless. Still, given the paltry time pay that you get, still, I do better than do you.
You deserve.

Nats121

Uber knew exactly what they were doing when they made our time pay worse than our mileage pay in a traffic clogged market like DC.

Don't worry, it's in one of my other posts lol.

dcdriverman

It’s literally amazing how much more you make long hauling people

I just had a trip that was almost def a 3.75. I drove fast late at night w no speed cams and got them there in the same amount of time like 9 min that Uber’s app was saying. But I took them the longest way on Waze and made almost $6 for it. If you’re not already doing that, do it immediately. I lost so much money in my 6 months not understanding longnhauling

yankdog

crying-man.gif
It’s literally amazing how much more you make long hauling people

I just had a trip that was almost def a 3.75. I drove fast late at night w no speed cams and got them there in the same amount of time like 9 min that Uber’s app was saying. But I took them the longest way on Waze and made almost $6 for it. If you’re not already doing that, do it immediately. I lost so much money in my 6 months not understanding longnhauling
26mbob.jpg

26mbvs.jpg
26mbx2.jpg

26mc3r.jpg

26mcfr.jpg