Why Lyft Passengers Cancel

Tequila Jake

I've noticed there is a much higher cancellation rate among Lyft riders than Uber riders. Today I took my first Lyft ride and I think I understand why.

When I opened the app, it showed about 8 cars all within 2-3 miles of my location on Chandler Blvd in Ahwatukee. However, the driver that got the ping was near the airport, 14 minutes away. And apparently he used Google Maps to take the shortest route, not the fastest route.

If I had been in any kind of hurry, I would have cancelled to get it to ping a closer driver.

TakinItUpWithUber

Also just started doing more Lyfts and had a similar experience last week around Tatum and Bell. I was pinged 5 mins to pick up a chick even though there were 2 Lyfts literally on top of her. I get there she keeps me waiting finally sends a text "be out soon" (should've cxl right then) turns out she regularly uses Lyft to go to work just 2mi away. Stiffs me no tip.

My guess regular Lyft drivers in the area knows this fat arse routine passes up on her because of the trifecta - keep driver waiting, short trip, no tip.

zanememjade

I've noticed there is a much higher cancellation rate among Lyft riders than Uber riders. Today I took my first Lyft ride and I think I understand why.

When I opened the app, it showed about 8 cars all within 2-3 miles of my location on Chandler Blvd in Ahwatukee. However, the driver that got the ping was near the airport, 14 minutes away. And apparently he used Google Maps to take the shortest route, not the fastest route.

If I had been in any kind of hurry, I would have cancelled to get it to ping a closer driver.
If you had a ping from lyft and the rider cancelled it's because uber executives told uber employees to request and cancelled. It was reported on CNN that over 5600 lyft request and cancelled was done by uber employees. That's ubers way of running business and used shady tactics to run lyft out. True story

Scissorz

It looks to me like Lyft is trying for more market share by sending out those $5 promo codes. Some pax are using Lyft for a lot of those shorter trips. They get a free ride to work as long as they don't tip.

villetta

Welcome to taxi driving. This story is as old as time, but where customers would call every taxi company and take whomever arrived first they now can "call" every app available with the same result.

MemphisDave

If you had a ping from lyft and the rider cancelled it's because uber executives told uber employees to request and cancelled. It was reported on CNN that over 5600 lyft request and cancelled was done by uber employees. That's ubers way of running business and used shady tactics to run lyft out. True story

If that is true, that's very disturbing! I drive for Uber and would not want to be associated with such tactics. I'm going to look into that -- can you give anymore info as to where that information could be printed or published? You mentioned CNN...was it the website or TV?

Final question, you mention executives told employees to do this. I am not reading that you mean that the drivers are involved the way you worded it. Please correct me if you did actually mean drivers, too. I've NEVER heard of anything like that actually happening.

MemphisDave

Thanks for the reply and the info, Uberflunky! That is interesting. I was a journalism major back in the day and see a lot of holes or misdirection in the story, but look forward to digging in on it (which I can't at this particular moment). That does indeed shine a bad light on Uber, but I think that it was a very small number of folks involved and and it was almost two years ago (before I had ever even heard of Uber). That's no excuse, but I'm glad that's not last week's story. Shoot me, I just enjoy the job.

MemphisDave

I'll be very curious to see how this all plays out in five or ten years.

They may be like Coke and Pepsi or it could even be Uber for driverless transportation and Lyft if you want a human. It would not surprise me at all if Uber is still today doing all of this, crunching numbers, and analyzing trends in order to make the most out of the driverless option that they gave Carnegie Mellon a $5M (?) grant to explore.

Innovation is indeed interesting to watch and be a part of in some way. I think my last taxi ride could have been driverless, it was hard to tell (no offense, fine taxi friends..it wasn't you).

zanememjade

I'll be very curious to see how this all plays out in five or ten years.

They may be like Coke and Pepsi or it could even be Uber for driverless transportation and Lyft if you want a human. It would not surprise me at all if Uber is still today doing all of this, crunching numbers, and analyzing trends in order to make the most out of the driverless option that they gave Carnegie Mellon a $5M (?) grant to explore.

Innovation is indeed interesting to watch and be a part of in some way. I think my last taxi ride could have been driverless, it was hard to tell (no offense, fine taxi friends..it wasn't you).
If you do some more research you will be more surprise. Because uber has used worst tactics then that. You will learn that uber has no morals and ethics when it comes to the way they do business. Right now uber is doing it to the drivers. They way uber treats drivers are not the way companies treat their partners. Drivers may think that drivers are independent contractors but the way uber run the company drivers are employees. A judge ruled in San Francisco lawsuit proved it. According to California state law. Uber has broken many of them. Taxis has taxi authorities to control the taxi company and drivers but who is looking into make sure uber is not braking laws. No one.

Zonie

I have CXL'd Lyft a few times because of not sending the closest driver. Why should I wait 15 Min for a car in Tempe when there are cars 3-4 min away in Old town?

The last time was at 5:30 am 10 days ago going to Sky Harbor. Lyft's selection App sucks or the drivers are not accepting fares soon enough.

I have noticed several Lyft/Uber drivers accept the ride and then the car doesn't move, but spins around like a propeller for 3-4 min. This is my take: Driver sitting at home watching TV, gets a ping, accepts, takes a piss, goes to fridge for a bottle of water, gets his keys, then comes out to his car, gets in car, then farts around a bit, then leaves the driveway. Phone is translating this movement as the car moving. I have canceled a few of these. If you're gonna sit at home with the APP on, be ready to move ASAP. Three of these guys live near me.

I Aint Jo Mama

I have CXL'd Lyft a few times because of not sending the closest driver. Why should I wait 15 Min for a car in Tempe when there are cars 3-4 min away in Old town?

The last time was at 5:30 am 10 days ago going to Sky Harbor. Lyft's selection App sucks or the drivers are not accepting fares soon enough.

I have noticed several Lyft/Uber drivers accept the ride and then the car doesn't move, but spins around like a propeller for 3-4 min. This is my take: Driver sitting at home watching TV, gets a ping, accepts, takes a piss, goes to fridge for a bottle of water, gets his keys, then comes out to his car, gets in car, then farts around a bit, then leaves the driveway. Phone is translating this movement as the car moving. I have canceled a few of these. If you're gonna sit at home with the APP on, be ready to move ASAP. Three of these guys live near me.
LOL I'm sitting at home now reading this with my app on but i'm ready!!!

Phxdriver

If your that impatient call a taxi. Sometimes driver could be right at intersection 50 yards away and if boxed in with heavy traffic might take 5 plus minutes to get to you. No kidding your in wrong lane can't turn then no u turn allowed and go up street to flip the u get caught at signal light again. You deserve a one star at least I won't have to see you again. Flush this turd.

Hey now

Saturday I watched the UFC fights at the Tilted Kilt. I had a conversation with the waitress about Uber, Lyft and taxis. She said she'll cancel right away if the picture of the driver looks creepy. So, make sure you have a good picture of yourself on the app!

I Aint Jo Mama

If your that impatient call a taxi. Sometimes driver could be right at intersection 50 yards away and if boxed in with heavy traffic might take 5 plus minutes to get to you. No kidding your in wrong lane can't turn then no u turn allowed and go up street to flip the u get caught at signal light again. You deserve a one star at least I won't have to see you again. Flush this turd.
Happens alot in Scottsdale where they have some long ass red lights

UBERisaLOSER

Saturday I watched the UFC fights at the Tilted Kilt. I had a conversation with the waitress about Uber, Lyft and taxis. She said she'll cancel right away if the picture of the driver looks creepy. So, make sure you have a good picture of yourself on the app!

I hope you tipped her 3 precious STARS! :wink: