Why keep DF to 2 instead of 6? My theory

iheartuber

uber knows everyone is trying to earn x dollars a day at this gig. We all have a different number but that's the bottom line.

Having a lot of DFs makes the job more efficient for us and allows us to hit our number in less time.

Less DFs mean more time on the clock for the slave drivers.

Because at the end of the day, if we're trying to earn x dollars for the day and it takes us 5 hours instead of 4 hours, yep we're gonna work that extra hour.

WMUber

It's hard to be a good little ant when you can choose "Where" you want to drive to. If all the drivers in Santa Clarita at 5:00 am set their DFs to DTLA or LAX, then there are no drivers to do the ant-like trips around the valley.

Uber wants to have its drivers take everything it gives them; not pick and choose. Yes, Uber wants you out there for 5 hours instead of 4. (This was one of the reasons Uber did not have a tipping option in the app.)

If we were true Independent Contractors, we would have full details of the job prior to accepting it. We would also be able to market ourselves/vehicle and set a price. We would also be able to set up a "re-occurring" ride (i.e. pick-up every Monday at 5:00 am for a ride to LAX). This way when a rider opens the app, instead of seeing "Ants" he sees actual cars and drivers. One driver may be a 2013 Toyota Corolla at $1.00 a mile, another may be a 2010 Ford Fusion at $1.20 per mile. The rider can decide if the extra head and leg room are worth the extra $0.20 per mile. The rider could also send out a base rate ride request to whomever accepts it. Who knows, that Fusion driver may be willing to work for $0.90 a mile.

iheartuber

It's hard to be a good little ant when you can choose "Where" you want to drive to. If all the drivers in Santa Clarita at 5:00 am set their DFs to DTLA or LAX, then there are no drivers to do the ant-like trips around the valley.

Uber wants to have its drivers take everything it gives them; not pick and choose. Yes, Uber wants you out there for 5 hours instead of 4. (This was one of the reasons Uber did not have a tipping option in the app.)

If we were true Independent Contractors, we would have full details of the job prior to accepting it. We would also be able to market ourselves/vehicle and set a price. We would also be able to set up a "re-occurring" ride (i.e. pick-up every Monday at 5:00 am for a ride to LAX). This way when a rider opens the app, instead of seeing "Ants" he sees actual cars and drivers. One driver may be a 2013 Toyota Corolla at $1.00 a mile, another may be a 2010 Ford Fusion at $1.20 per mile. The rider can decide if the extra head and leg room are worth the extra $0.20 per mile. The rider could also send out a base rate ride request to whomever accepts it. Who knows, that Fusion driver may be willing to work for $0.90 a mile.
YOU should be the CEO

UberThisMK

I wouldn't be surprised if the long trip notification is the next to go. With fewer DF's per day, drivers looking to minimize dead miles will rely on the long trip notification to avoid unwanted long trips. I can already see the message from Fuber saying that the long trip notification has hurt efficiency and increased wait times for pax and therefore must be destroyed.

SorryBluetoothOnly

I wouldn't be surprised if the long trip notification is the next to go. With fewer DF's per day, drivers looking to minimize dead miles will rely on the long trip notification to avoid unwanted long trips. I can already see the message from Fuber saying that the long trip notification has hurt efficiency and increased wait times for pax and therefore must be destroyed.

This should balance out. Some drivers want long rides. Some drivers want short rides (which I think is insane).

kevin046

This should balance out. Some drivers want long rides. Some drivers want short rides (which I think is insane).
I personally only want long rides when it's surging good and if the long rides are to areas that are also decent for surge or boost. Not areas like east bumble**ck where I have to deadmile it all the way back to a decent area and in traffic where it takes forever. That blows. I had a system that worked for me with the DF's. Yeah I wasn't always raking in the cash but it was good enough for the hours I was putting in. Now in order to make that same money, I'm going to have to be in my drivers seat longer which also blows. Shorties I only like to take in the rare occurrences when I'm looking to quickly finish off a quest. I HATE long rides on base fare. Never doing that again. Especially to east bumblef**k

SoccerDad23

I think they also realized how many people were managing to complete their Quest bonus while using it. Why wouldn't they just stop issuing Quest bonuses that allow it to be successful? Why be horrible in just one way when you can be horrible in two?!

RUSSREED2.0

uber knows everyone is trying to earn x dollars a day at this gig. We all have a different number but that's the bottom line.

Having a lot of DFs makes the job more efficient for us and allows us to hit our number in less time.

Less DFs mean more time on the clock for the slave drivers.

Because at the end of the day, if we're trying to earn x dollars for the day and it takes us 5 hours instead of 4 hours, yep we're gonna work that extra hour.
Lol! Or Uber was not getting paid. Follow the green trail.

I personally only want long rides when it's surging good and if the long rides are to areas that are also decent for surge or boost. Not areas like east bumble**ck where I have to deadmile it all the way back to a decent area and in traffic where it takes forever. That blows. I had a system that worked for me with the DF's. Yeah I wasn't always raking in the cash but it was good enough for the hours I was putting in. Now in order to make that same money, I'm going to have to be in my drivers seat longer which also blows. Shorties I only like to take in the rare occurrences when I'm looking to quickly finish off a quest. I HATE long rides on base fare. Never doing that again. Especially to east bumblef**k
Where's east bumble... lol

somedriverguy

Sidecar collapsed because riders don't like crap-weeding. Yes it sucks that we don't set our own rates but it is necessary. We should, however, have more input on those rates.

kevin046

Uber says they dropped DF to 2 because it increased wait times

Well yeah... that's because drivers made their money sooner and called it a day.

Less drivers on the road means longer wait times for pax.

It's a bullsh*t excuse that they are using. I ain't buying it. There are always a ton of cars/ants on the road no matter what time of the day. Definitely more supply than demand at times. Uber is just trying to stick it to us

dnlbaboof

knew it was too good to be true, 6 filters, that count for quest and boost?????? the cookie jar got a little to sweet, but look at the bright side sometimes you get good trips you wouldnt have gotten with the DF on. i just want 3 a day.....compromise

LA Dispatcher

Why would they just stick it to us? Isn't it possible that wait times really did go up to an unacceptably high level? It makes sense that it would increase.
Damn cherry pickers at it again. Yes, wait times do go up when drivers dictate the terms to a certain extent.

kevin046

knew it was too good to be true, 6 filters, that count for quest and boost?????? the cookie jar got a little to sweet, but look at the bright side sometimes you get good trips you wouldnt have gotten with the DF on. i just want 3 a day.....compromise
I'd be content with 4 although I prefer 6. Not that I even use 4 everyday but there are days I would use 4-6. Most days 2-3. But being limited to only 2 sucks. And to make matters worse I'm on one right now trying to head to where I live (which is in a popular area) and not a single ping :rolleyes:

kevin046

Why would they just stick it to us? Isn't it possible that wait times really did go up to an unacceptably high level? It makes sense that it would increase.
I don't see how wait times would go up that much being as there are so many drivers/ants that probably didn't even use the DF and just drive everywhere. It's only the smarter, more experienced drivers that used the DF to their advantage

SorryBluetoothOnly

Uber says they dropped DF to 2 because it increased wait times

Well yeah... that's because drivers made their money sooner and called it a day.

Less drivers on the road means longer wait times for pax.

It's more than that. Haven't you noticed that your ETAs tend to be higher - not every time but on average - when on DF? That's because it's giving you priority over closer drivers in order to increase chances of finding you a match. Secondly, when some % of drivers are on DF, those cars are unavailable for other pings. You're sitting there 5-10 minutes waiting for your match while Uber could be sending you othe pings.

I'm not defending their decision. I'm just saying their excuse is believable for several reasons.

Last edited:

LA Dispatcher

I don't see how wait times would go up that much being as there are so many drivers/ants that probably didn't even use the DF and just drive everywhere. It's only the smarter, more experienced drivers that used the DF to their advantage
I feel that many ants outside the core figured out how to use the feature and were just being more patient waiting for the right ping.